Question Regarding Converting Mp3 to ATRAC

Rate this topic

emo713dude

i am using sonicstage 4.2

whenever i convert my mp3 files to atrac files, the resulting song is distorted. the bass sounds odd and makes this weird "wok" sound.

i have examples i can send to you if need need them, but please help me!

the only way i can convert my mp3s to atrac right now is by burning them to an mp3 cd, then reburning the the cd to my computer as atracs.

HELP!

When you convert an MP3 to ATRAC, it's called 'transcoding' - you're taking an already compressed file and compressing it again, kinda' like making a VHS copy of a VHS copy. I would guess you're taking 128kbs mp3s and then converting them to ATRAC files - that would sound sorta' like AM radio. Do you have the CDs to import as ATRAC? And, is there a specific reason you have to convert to ATRAC?

-Nav

yes, when i import the cds as atrac, they sound perfect. But unfortunately i do not wish to continually burn my mp3s to a cd and then re-burn them to my computer as atracs as i have been doing because that wastes my cds. (maybe i should get a cd-rw)

anyway, i do like to have all my songs on one cd, and that is why i want them converted to atrac.

If your cd player supports mp3 then you should be able to get many hours of them on one cd. To burn a compatable mp3 cd however can be tricky. If you just go to burn a regular audio cd with mp3s then they will be converted over to a standard audio cd and yes you will only be able to fit about 20 songs on one cd in this format. I you use the correct software ( I use Nero ) be sure to select the "mp3 cd" option. Think about it, a cd-r is around 700MB right. An mp3 file is usually 5mb or less. Do the math and you should be able to fit plenty of songs. I have not tried to use SonicStage to make an mp3 cd so I can't comment on what it would do. Maybe someone else can.

Hope this helps.