Headphones or IEM's?

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

I kind of like both, but if I had to rely on one long-term, which would you go for?

Here are the vital stats of both for you to digest:

MDR-NC6:

Driver units: 38 mm, Neodymium

Max. power: 100 mW

Impedence (with power on): 20 ohms

(with power off): 65 ohms

Sensitivity: (with power on): 106 dB/mW

(with power off): 104 dB/mW

Frequency response: 30 Hz-15 kHz

Range of noise attenuation: 40-1500 Hz, more than 10 dB at 300 Hz

MDR-NC22:

Driver units: 13.5 mm, Neodymium

Max. power: 50 mW

Impedence (with power on): 20 ohms

(with power off): 8.5 ohms

Sensitivity: (with power on): 102 dB/mW

(with power off): 100 dB/mW

Frequency response: 8 Hz-22 kHz

Range of noise attenuation: 50-1500 Hz, more than 12 dB at 200 Hz

Of course, the annoying thing about the NC22's is the over-long 1.5 meter cord while my NC6's (after I desoldered the 1.5 meter cord on them) have a more remote-friendly cord (similar to the JE Version of these same units) taken from an old pair of MDR-EX71SL's and I kept the extension cord as an option.

Your opinions await, I am all ears, but my management recommends I go with the MDR-NC6 headphones despite the stats instead of IEM's to keep the hearing I have left.

IEM's. For me, it's not about the sound, but the obvious-ness. xD I can conceal my earphones, whereas I can't conceal my headphones. :lol:

Good point. I am glad to announce I am keeping BOTH sets, besides, the IEM's are easier to wear with headgear (hats, caps, etc.) on, while the cans are more audiophile-like sound-oriented, but certainly can't be worn with hats.

I love IEMs!

Since a year I use Shure E4s, now with the new black foam tips.

They are great! Invoving pleasant sound that I can listen to for hours without fatique.

Small.

And they give very good isolation, so that I can listen on noisy environments like airplanes and do not hinder others.

The isolation also spare my ears; I don't have to cranck the volume up to mask background noise.

OTH, if I would listen only at home I'd probably go for a fullsized Sennheiser and an amp.

But I got a great speakerbased system, so no headphone listeing there, except in bed sometimes.

I love IEMs!

Since a year I use Shure E4s, now with the new black foam tips.

They are great! Invoving pleasant sound that I can listen to for hours without fatique.

Small.

And they give very good isolation, so that I can listen on noisy environments like airplanes and do not hinder others.

The isolation also spare my ears; I don't have to cranck the volume up to mask background noise.

OTH, if I would listen only at home I'd probably go for a fullsized Sennheiser and an amp.

But I got a great speakerbased system, so no headphone listeing there, except in bed sometimes.

I have just purchased a pair of custom Etymotic silicone eartips for my NC22's on eBay that have more isolation and enhance the frequencies without having to much re-EQ everything.

More noise isolation and cancellation = louder audio output with less amp drive, therefore prolonging the life of both the amp and the battery and the better everything sounds.

BTW, these same eartips are also available for Skullcandy, Koss, Apple, and Shure IEM's as well as Sony and Etymotic, here is the suction off of eBay for all of you who want higher output from your N.U.D.E EX pipes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

Edited by BIGHMW