NWD-B105

Rate this question

juli_

Question

Well, after all the hassle trying to get my laptop to recognise it, I finally connected it on a different computer and managed to use and test it.

I bought this as an easy-to-use first ever dap for my sister-in-law. I knew she liked the Sony sound and when these drag and drop players came along, it seemed like the perfect first choice.

So, in real life it's more plasticky than it looks in photos. But I think that's OK as it was clearly intended (I think) to be used more casually (gym etc). The headphones are pretty appalling, and the size of them. . . they're like frisbees! I couldn't actually fit them in at all, and the only way I could 'test' the sound was to hold them to my ears very tightly. Even then, at 192kbps, the sound was nothing to write home about.

But when I tried the A808 headphones, the sound was markedly improved (still not top notch, but a huge improvement on the frisbees). When I tried it with my Denon C700s, I was encased in a wall of sound - so I can see that the B105 has great SQ potential, but only with higher-end headphones.

I was quite surprised the sound changed from below average with the frisbees, to at least 8/10 with the Denons. My A808 never sounded below average with any headphones, so the B105 is very sensitive to what headphones it's paired with. I've given her the ones that came with my 808 so at least she has something to use until she decides if she wants to buy some more.

The display is clear enough and the buttons all work logically

All in all, I think it's an ideal 'first' dap for anyone who wants something easy to use and doesn't want to be overwhelmed with complicated software.

I wish I'd had something like this for my first player. My first Audiodream was so complicated to use, that I used to listen to the same folder over and over again. I couldn't get to grips with it at all, so this 'lipstick' Sony would have been a really suitable first stepping stone into the world of portable audio. Now I just have to hope she likes it :)

2 answers to this question