Hack for MZ-N510CK (seperated from: Wild MZ-N707 Hack)

Rate this topic

There has been some discussion in the 707 hack thread regarding the ability to hack the 510. I'm assuming this would also apply to the other new models, 410,610,810, etc... But this is only a guess.

The problem has been that the mentions of the hack within the thread seem to be few and far between, and also only mention having serious problems, that are never resolved.

Can anyone out there confirm that this hack is possible or impossible?

I've got a 2 week old, 510, and like many others I'm sure, I really don't want to destroy it by accident.

My guess is, that there is some brave soul who will be willing to take the challenge and report back.

Any takers?

-Jeff

Guest Anonymous

Enter service mode the usual way set HOLD on and hold vol (-) down

press: ff ff rw rw ff rw ff rw pau pau.

press: vol + for manual, then play

press: vol + until reach f-code (060 on right segment of screen) then play

press: ff until you reach setting 061 this is on the right, where it said 060 before.

change: the number on the left, ignoring the changing one so it reads S70 using vol + and vol -

press pause, advance to settong 062 (on right) with ff

change: the numberon the left so it reads S7B using vol + and vol -

press pause

remove all power, battyery mains lead etc, replace and check new features

remeber to writedown your old numbers.

if you fuck it up it isnt old, just take it back, claim innocence and get a replacement. It is most stores policy to ask no questions within a certain amount of time, you can take it back and have your money returned as long as it LOOKS in orig. condition.

have fun

I just did the hack on my N510 and it worked fine, there are a few points I'd like to make:

:arrow: 1. The instructions are a little off for my MD, I had to use FF not vol + to get to manual, then play. The FF once more to go to Lazer and then vol + to go to F Code. It's a very confusing menu system, I think that is on purpose to prevent people (like us) from being funny buggers :!:

You can fool around going up and down the menus till you get a feel for them as long as you don't press vol -/+ when you have a hex code on screen, they're the ones with the changing letters.

:arrow: 2. After switching on the extra settings, the 2 arrows in the top of the LCD for showing sound 1 & 2 on or off now don't work at all, in therory they should turn of when you pick EQ custom 1 or 2 but it doen't happen. It's not a real problem just a bit of a gripe, I would like to see when I have an EQ on or not.

:arrow: 3. The LCD screen itself doesn't show the whole display and therefore you don't see some of the extra settings, such as 2/3 of the EQs level adjusts, you only see the first 3 level sliders. This goes for the timer, you only see the hour and not the minutes. Would getting an LCD remote fix this? Has anyone tried another remote with a 510? I got one that only has volume and tranport buttons, it's small though so i'm happy with it.

:arrow: 4. As DS wrote, the custom EQ settings seem to disapear, it's when you take out the battery, leading me to sudgest you'll loose the PDMs as well, so you have to keep the battery charged. Sorta like the way people use mobile phones some times by chaginging them and still leaving them on to recieve calls.

Hope this helps everyone, and I hope someone can tell me if an LCD remote is compatible. The text segment of the 510's screen can only show the first 6 characters of a menu setting, so if anyone knows how many text segments a remote's screen has it would help.

So far, since doing the hack, I've been able to do all the feature (or so I thought)

Admitedly, I'm planning on buying an lcd remote, but it's not the next thing on my shopping list.

Is the variable pitch control, different from the speed control?

I got that to work, along with all of the eq settings, and stuff...

what am I missing?

thanks

-Jeff

So far, since doing the hack, I've been able to do all the feature (or so I thought)

Admitedly, I'm planning on buying an lcd remote, but it's not the next thing on my shopping list.

Is the variable pitch control, different from the speed control?

I got that to work, along with all of the eq settings, and stuff...

what am I missing?

thanks

-Jeff

Nop, the same

The ability to see what exactly you're doing (since the 510 lcd is too small)

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

forget about that last post, ,i got it!

but a question.. is there a way to STOP the equalizer from resetting every time i shut the MD recorder off? maybe another hack?

• 1 month later...

I tried the hack as listed and have had some issues I thought I would share with everyone here.

The first time I tried the hack it totally screwed up the keyboard and I had to use the remote to get the player back to normal.

I've applied the hack a second time after some more reading but the menu options are severely limited compared to the original unit. The biggest difference is a complete change in the menuing on the unit after the 'hack' has been applied resulting in nearly all the menu options disappearing.

I'm wondering at this point if there has been any more research done regarding the use of the hack on the 510 series.

Still new to MD but I've already ditched the mp3 and music stick players w/ minidisc and I'm NEVER going back.

• 2 weeks later...

I told a friend who has an MZ-N610CK, and I'll probably be applying the hack to it, with the method mentioned about -- I mentioned the remote issues on MD T-boards but, I'll mention it here again:

MZ-N610 with original radio-lcd remote:

- able to set Bass/Treble by holding down 'Sound'

- able to title songs by holding down 'Display'

MZ-N610 with RM-MC11EL :

- cannot title or set Bass/Treble.

MZ-R700 with RM-MC11EL (hacked to R900) :

- holding down Display gets you titling options, M-Timer, PDM, and Speed

- holding down Sound lets you adjust Bass/Treble

*- without the hack, holding down Display just titled, and holding down Sound did nothing, it just toggled Bass 1 and 2

I was going to get an MZ-N510 until this issue, maybe with the hack it'll perform different. I'll post my smashing discoveries and finds here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

hello

under the DISP menu there is Title(doesn't work with MZ-N510) and sound(displays the current sound setting), under P-MODE there is PGM(program), under sound there is a acoustics setting menu and an equalizer (six channel but u can only see three), there is a USEFUL menu with personal disk memory and digital pitch control and a timer and that is all that i know of.

I am also having trouble with PDM every time i turn off the unit i loose my equalizer settings and everything else i ws wondering if i could do anything to fix this.

Just another note: I changed 061 from 00 (firmware 1.600) to 70 and 062 from 20 to 75 would there be any difference in features between doing that and entering the one suggested in on of the earlier posts?

thanx