Hi-MD delayed till May

Rate this topic

A440

Hi all....I'm new here and don't know if this has been discussed.

Does anyone know where on the internet to find the best prices for the new HD blank discs? Are they available yet? Any idea what the best prices on the internet will be for the blanks? Also, the first unit released in the US....would this be the one to get (i don't remember the model number). Or should we wait for another model? What will this first release NOT have that the next models will have and when can we expect the next models to come out?

Hiya, welcome to the forums.

Good range of questions here. The best price in my mind is what Sony quoted as the MSRP, which is $7; don't pay any more than $10. It honestly seems like if you were to delve, you should go for the NH900 or the NH1. I myself am going with the NH900.

With the debut many folk were impressed, but moreso by the technology and new options rather than the Sony units themselves. Expect great things from Sharp, Kenwood, Panasonic and anyone else later this year or early next. I can imagine those units will be very interesting and much more promising [each brand with their own signature functionality, of course - if you read more you'll see]. I think alot of people might be holding out for Sharp units it seems, as they offer superior portable recording ability.

What can we expect as early as the next generation? It's hard to tell [wireless, data drives, higher mW (yeah, right), better battery life for sure + much more]. I know for sure that higher-density Hi-MD discs will come eventually to keep up with the never-ending progression of HDD portable music players.

See, the thing is - HDD technology and Optical technology borrow off of each other. To think that one will outdo the other is absurd, as each wouldn't have come this far in the first place without the other. I mention this because eventually you'll have interactions with HDD-only people. Do what you want, not what the fad is. :happy:

I will say this..Hi-MD is very promising; if not now, at least what it can be in the future. We're merely at the doorstep, so to speak.

I went ahead and ordered from Datavis.com. If you check on "latest price" at the bottom of the page for the unit you can get it for alot less than the price they have it for on the page. I found it in a thread for the 900 for somewhere around $239... i can't remember what shipping was, but not too much. Their "regular" price is $299. I don't know if they actually have them instock. I think the thread i got this from said they are to ship this coming week. I doubt that, but we'll see! Now to try to locate some hd blanks. robert

• 2 weeks later...