Sharp leave the France MD Market and then Hi-MD?

Rate this topic

JFK

What a news, Sharp decided to leave the portable music market with MD and will came back with Flash and HDD walkmans, according to this news :

http://www.01net.com/article/243375.html (sorry it is in French, but you can translate it with altavista for example).

No words about Hi-MD... What is happening here? Will Sony be alone to sell its format? Will Sharp came back with Hi-MD? Will they also leave other European or American markets?

That's sad to hear. I hope they do come out with Hi-MDs for everyone's enjoyment.

I was going to get a Sharp Hi-MD player when they came out so I wouldn't risk my Sony Hi-MD player/recorder...but I guess I'll have to settle for whatever other brand lisences the technology..

~a.i.h.

Well, sharp DID leave the american MD market quite a while ago. The last minidisc sharp canada got out here was the MT877 (which i bought). Now they pull out from the european market. Kinda sad, but importing was the only solution here since the MT877 anyways so it doesn't hit me any harder. I just hope that they entrench in the asian market and don't pull out of the MDs altogether. It would be quite sad.

And my MT877... j'l'ai cassé! :laugh: En fait non, Sharp c'est du bon stock.

JFK....that's supposed to b a joke right :laugh: Je nu compra francois... i need a translated page friend u know of ne ? need some details u know..

Sony must b soooooo happy....so for every sharp not sold that's probably a Sony bought well let's hope Kenwood n panasonic stay in the game..cuz i they bring out only few units per year as for sharp i guess their MD DR77 is their last unit huh :sad: .. what's happening with these companies man..first it was SEGA! then Compaq now Sharp...tsk tsk...

Sony must b soooooo happy....so for every sharp not sold that's probably a Sony bought well let's hope Kenwood n panasonic stay in the game..

Obviously this isn't true - Sony has all the licenses. If they didn't want Sharp to make MDs, they wouldn't have licensed the product to Sharp in the first place.

I was in France a little bit ago. I was in a big electronic store and thought I would check out MDs. To my surprise, there were dozens of portable CD players and MP3 players, but not a single MP3.

[...] I was in a big electronic store and thought I would check out MDs.  To my surprise, there were dozens of portable CD players and MP3 players, but not a single MP3.

Maybe you mean "not a single MD player"?

I fully agree that Sony can't be happy about Sharp pulling out of the MD market. Out of sight is of course out of mind when it comes to these things, and MD needs all the attention it can get - it's a dying format (to some extent). Also, fewer unit producers is bad news for consumers - higher prices, fewer features and lower overall quality and choice. I hope that Panasonic and Kenwood will license the new format, although chances seem slim.

</symphara>

No wait, everyone seems to think that Sharp is getting out of the whole MD market. What i read from those places only indicate that they pull out of France. On what do you people base yourselves when you affirm that Sharp is out of the whole MD market? Are you just all assuming? Stop scaring people god damn it!

No wait, everyone seems to think that Sharp is getting out of the whole MD market. What i read from those places only indicate that they pull out of France. On what do you people base yourselves when you affirm that Sharp is out of the whole MD market? Are you just all assuming? Stop scaring people god damn it!

Sharp will probably pull out of the whole Europe, but sharp MD's will probably be available in USA and Japon for a moment... :sad: