WTB: Aiwa LIB-902 Rechargeable Battery

Rate this topic

bravoland

Try http://bestbuy.partsearch.com/ProductDetai...p;ModelID=47175 and http://www.partstore.com/sl/lamps-batterie...BatLIB-902.html . The first URL links to a battery for 58 dollars; the second is 99. Either way, it's just not worth it to get a new battery - I have an AM-F70 and haven't owned a working Li-ion battery for years. For the price it costs to get a battery for such an outdated recorder, you could practically buy another.

Try http://bestbuy.partsearch.com/ProductDetai...p;ModelID=47175 and http://www.partstore.com/sl/lamps-batterie...BatLIB-902.html . The first URL links to a battery for 58 dollars; the second is 99. Either way, it's just not worth it to get a new battery - I have an AM-F70 and haven't owned a working Li-ion battery for years. For the price it costs to get a battery for such an outdated recorder, you could practically buy another.

very true, for a few more dollars u can get a brand new NH600D for $85 on ebay.

I have done some searching for one of these as well, and couldn't find one available for a reasonable price either.

I did find out, that the JVC BN-R369 and JVC BN-R3610 should be compatible, but, again, these are nowhere to be found.

Because I couldn't buy a new battery, I have upgraded to a Sony MZ-NH900, but everytime I use this, I can't help but thinking what a wonderful design the Aiwa AM-F65/F70 is. All the buttons in the right place, a useful jog dial, and decent output (I'm listening to it now at volume 3 out of 20; try that with that pathetic Sony).

Of course, it may not sound as clear as the NH900 and can only record in SP, but I prefer its design over the Sony.

I have done some searching for one of these as well, and couldn't find one available for a reasonable price either.

I did find out, that the JVC BN-R369 and JVC BN-R3610 should be compatible, but, again, these are nowhere to be found.

Because I couldn't buy a new battery, I have upgraded to a Sony MZ-NH900, but everytime I use this, I can't help but thinking what a wonderful design the Aiwa AM-F65/F70 is. All the buttons in the right place, a useful jog dial, and decent output (I'm listening to it now at volume 3 out of 20; try that with that pathetic Sony).

Of course, it may not sound as clear as the NH900 and can only record in SP, but I prefer its design over the Sony.

have u guys tried looking for the battery on ebay???

just to follow up to this post.

i called both of the places listed above

the $99 place no longer has them in stock

the $58 .. actually doesn't have that in stock either.. they have the sony replacement for $75 plus $10 shipping

$85 is just way to much to pay for a battery..

The minidisc units that accept the batteries are pretty scarce on ebay..so not much luck their either.

it's a shame there isn't another way or another source of power that can be used internally..

i too have the 3 AA battery attachment that hangs by a cable..but that's really a pain..

anyways.. if anyone finds a source..let this thread know please.

Edited by bravoland

I didn't know Sony had an equivalent battery? Back then Sony was using either already using NiMH gumsticks, or going back further, using the industry standard LIP-8 or LIP-12 batteries.

The Aiwa LIB-902 is indeed a bugger to find. The best way to get one is from eBay, but it will be used. You just have to find another F70 or similar that has the battery and/or just the accessories from the unit (incl. battery) on their own. Sometimes sellers sell the accessories due to a broken unit. The truth is you'll find a used great-condition F70 with the battery for less than you'll pay for the battery itself. It is possible to get a good working battery from a used unit, so that's the best route really.

• 9 months later...

Nobody has posted in a while, but I thought I'd write what I've found... Searching www.partstore.com for a battery for the AM-F70 gave me a couple replacement batteries. 1) "Direct Replacement for Aiwa Part Number U-0130-979-U" $93, 2) and this battery, Aiwa Part Number: U0131097U $10.

I searched https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz for that Sony / Aiwa part and it had them in stock for the same $ as Partstore.com. No pictures though. What is this Sony battery with an Aiwa part #?

This was an interesting possibility too : Power-2000 ACD-203 Lithium-Ion Battery (3.6v, 800 mAh), although I can't seem to find more specific info. for the battery and it's compatibility with the AM-F70.

• 1 year later...

I tried charging my AM-F75 today and found my battery was dead and wouldn't charge, but after giving it a short 10 second blast with a 12 volt car battery charger it kicked it into life, I put the battery back in the unit where I was able to plug the ac adapter back in and charge it properly. I believe that if you allow the battery to go totally flat by leaving it in the unit keeping the clock and calender up to date it no longer recognises the battery is present and refuses to charge and recommend if your not going to use it for a while to take the battery out.

PS if your going to try your three volt battery on a car charger please be careful cos its potentially quite dangerous.

• 1 year later...

This thread seems to awake from time to time so here's my 5c worth...

As noted the original LIB-902 (or the equivalent from JVC, who also used this type) seems to have gone out of production a long time ago. I found two sources on the 'net, one at tigerdirect, and one at Donberg. tigerdirect don't deliver outside the US it appears, and at any rate the price is over $100 at tigerdirect, while Donberg, based in Ireland, had a list price of about 100 Euros which is even more. While I still love my Aiwa, despite its age (love that jog wheel especially for titling), it was a bit steep. So I haven't researched these further; it wouldn't surprise me if at least tigerdirect don't actually have it in stock. Donberg seems to stock all sorts of obsolete parts; it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't actually buy all residual stocks of the LIB-902 when it was cancelled. Haven't checked it out though.

So I started thinking that perhaps some other battery would fit, or could be adapted. Since I virtually never remove the battery, I wouldn't mind if I had to do a minor rewiring job.

After several hours of scanning battery pages, I realized that the form factor of the LIB-902 is really unusual. Most battery packs are either completely flat but cover a larger area, or are more or less rectangular or even round (probably they have a round cell inside), thus making them too thick. Finally though I found a Sony battery called LIS1259. It is appearantly used for a couple of Sony PDA's, and while not the most common type around, it seems to be available from a number of sources.

The LIB-902 has a measurement of 67 x 18 x 10 mm = 2.63" x 0.71" x 0.39" (slightly approximate because of the 'hump' at the one end). Measurements for the LIS1259 vary slightly depending on which web site you look at; one site lists it as 2" x 0.75" x 0.75" = 50.8 x 19.05 x 9.6 mm. So, shorter and thinner, but slightly wider. That is slightly worrying; I'm hoping there's enough slack inside the Aiwa, or that I can shave the battery down slightly. It does not have contacts at each end, instead there's a connecting lead consisting of two wires (plus and minus). The actual type is the same - Li-Ion recharchable. The specs of the LIB-902 are 3.6V / 700mAh; the LIS1259 is speced as 3.7V / 650mAh or 700mAh depending on whether you get an original replacement or an 'upgraded capacity' version. I don't think the 3.6 vs 3.7 V makes a difference; it could signify some minor difference in internal chemistry.

Anyway, I've decided to give this one a shot. It's available from several sources, I'm trying Digital Power Pro who charge about $29 for the battery (plus $14 for shipping to Europe), or rather, I found an eBay branch who had an offer for $4.39 for the battery and $12 shipping. Looks to be the same battery. At any rate, price is low enough so that if it doesn't work it's not a big deal.

My plan is to open the Aiwa, and hardwire the battery to the terminals inside the Minidisc recorder, also possibly making any necessary mechanical adjustments.

Battery hasn't arrived yet; I'll report back when I've tried it out. If nothing else my findings so far may set someone else thinking.

/Ricard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Good evening, I ve been looking for the LIB-902 model, and of course i couldnt get it nowhere here in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I just got an excellent condition Aiwa AM-F70 last week, I tried to revive the battery connecting poles to a 19.5volts notebook charger, touching fast the poles several times, and it reached 4.0 volts. Once it got that voltage, I inserted in the minidisc, and began to charge, after a while it stopped charging, pressed PLAY and it kept showing LOW BATT on the minidisc screen.

After this first try, I left the battery charging directly to the charger supplied with the AM-F70 (4.5volts 500 mah), for at least 6 hours, finally i disconnected from the wires attach to the charger cable plug, and could use the battery for only one single minute. I give up !!!

Today I found a link with very useful information, an adapter created for the LIB-902, using a rechargeable 10440 (very similar to AAA type) battery 3.6volt/350mah.

I will soon create the model using epoxy putty. Hope this will help someone!

Check this link:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2137876