SonicStage 4/3, Win7, and NetMD MZ-S1

momofpekes

I haven't seen any posts about installing SonicStage 4.3 on a Windows 7 Ultimate computer, for the NetMD MZ-S1 player.  Has anyone with Windows 7, and the MZ-S1 player installed SS 4.3?  If so, did the install go smoothly?  And, did the transfer of songs go smoothly?  I have hundreds, if not thousands of songs of songs to transfer.  I'm computer illiterate, and if the song transfers don't go smoothly, I'll immediately stop, because I've messed up my computer before, not knowing what I'm doing, and I hit a wrong key, or I keep hitting a key, not knowing that hitting the key will do something to my computer.

"Thousands of songs to transfer"?

That sounds suspiciously like you have thousands of songs on MD and want to get them off...... the MZ-S1 will emphatically NOT do that for you.

However, Sonic Stage 4.3 for the MZ-S1 works fine under Windows 7 (I presume 64-bits, only the desperate have purchased 32-bits) provided you install the driver from our downloads section.

• Thank you for your reply.  I have that computer where nothing I try to install or download on it is ever easy.  I also have that computer where things magically get done to it.  For instance, I tried installing a game on the computer, and an error message kept coming up that I couldn't install the game because Windows Installer couldn't be found.  It took three weeks for my friend to finally get Windows Installer to install, and he found a place on the computer where it asks if I want to install or download things, and the "no" box was checked.  I don't know where that box is, I don't know where to find it or how to find it, yet the "no" box was checked.  Having had trouble installing or downloading things is the reason I asked if it was easy to install SonicStage.

You misunderstood my original message, though.  When I wrote I have hundreds, maybe thousands of songs to transfer, I meant I want to transfer them off of my MP3 players onto the NetMD MZ-S1 player.  I'm electronically illiterate, as well as being computer illiterate.  I don't know how many songs can fit on individual MP3 players.  I have three players that are 4 GB each.  I don't want to buy a 16 GB MP3 player to transfer all my songs off of three players onto one MP3 player when I have my NetMD, and when I prefer my NetMD over the MP3 players.  I will install the driver for SonicStage first before trying to install SonicStage, but I doubt it won't be before next week that I do it.  And, I doubt that the install will take place without complications, so, please look for other posts from me with install issues.

Again, thank you for the quick reply.

Hmmmm, I wanted to make sure that's what you meant. I know that WAS what you said but....

If you have existing MP3's I wouldn't particularly recommend an MZ-S1. Every MP3 will get converted to ATRAC, and you can get at most (this assumes you use the optimal quality LP2 format) 162 minutes per MD. So, to do the math, 3 thousand tracks averaging 3 mins would use about 60 MDs. Probably allow 100 MDs given that lots of songs will be too long and you won't be able to fill up every disk without splitting albums etc.

The conversion is tedious and will not improve the quality. Whether it will make it worse depends a lot on what bit rate your recordings are at already,

I would be rather inclined to see about some other player that plays MP3 format without conversion. There are some MD recorders (all of them the so-called Hi-MD), and also some very nice flash-based devices which will play MP3s very well, There are even Sony devices that play MP3 as well as the MD format, ATRAC. My favourite of these is the NW-F886.

For example this offering on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/SONY-Walkman-NW-F886-32GB-Japan/dp/B00FF087YG

There are also very very nice Sony MP3 players you can buy second hand such as the NWZ-S755, probably for well under $100.

Note that the NW-F886 and NWZ-F886 are not the same. The latter is an "export" model and does not play the ATRAC format which is presumably the reason you were interested in MD in the first place?

Hope I've been of some help. Most of our time here is spent going on about how much better MD is than MP3 - I appear to be giving contradictory advice, but given your self-described "computer illiteracy" I wonder if it's worth all the extra trouble?

Stephen