Converting ATRAC CD's to a modern format?

Rate this question

dangerade

Question

Years ago I had the Sony D-NE300 Psyc ATRAC Walkman Portable CD Player, I've since lost/broken it. I do however have a bunch of ATRAC CDs I made with audio files that exist only on those CDs and that I'd really like to recover. Does anyone know if there is a way to get those audio files off the CD and preferably convert them into a usable format?

The CD looks like:

HIFI [folder]
    > TRK000A.ATP
    > TRK000B.ATP etc.
0001000E.STK
ALBUM.NDB
ARTIST.NDB
GROUP.NDB
PLLIST.NDB
TOC00000.STI
TOC00001.STI
TRACK.NDB

What I've tried so far:

I have Sonic Stage 3.4 installed

The TRKxxx.ATP files appear to be the individual tracks, I've tried renaming them to .omg .oma .aa3 etc. and playing/ converting them, but that didn't work.

The CD doesn't seem to be recognized as a music cd by SonicStage, and I can't figure out how to play or import the files with that.

At this point I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible?

1 answer to this question

They have to be decrypted. I wrote the software to do it, but the QHiMDTransfer guys declined to have any involvement (the project seems to have died). In a word they told me to fork off, hahah. The key is slightly different from the one used by MD, but it is the same encryption scheme used by Sony pretty well everywhere. I have long since parted company with the source code and can only remember the generalities of it.

Sony took the view that this was a one-way deal, you could never get anything off the ATRAC CDs that you had not put there from original sources. Tuff beans if you did not own the tracks to begin with.

There are still units which will play them. Maybe you could start there.