I am returning to the world of MD after more than 12 years away and have picked up a couple of NetMD recorders (a NZ-N505 + NZ-710) and I also have an MXD-D40 deck allowing direct CD->MD dubbing.
Maybe my memory is fooling me, but I didn't remember what a horror show SonicStage was. Wow....
I had planned to copy a load of compilation CDs to FLAC and automate some kind of workflow to burn to MD. Needless to say I have hit a few snags. One is the titling issue, SS not having a licence for CDDB anymore, WAVs not containing metadata, etc. So I would love to test out your utility.
Even more so, because.... I have a lot of double albums needing gapless playback, very close to 80 mins each. So, in theory, 2x80 min CDs should fit on to a 80min MD in LP2 mode - right? Well.. not so easy it seems.
Something is going on with SS.... I don't quite get the full capacity out of the MD - I don't know why - it is approx 35-40 tracks with fairly long titles. Are the titles eating in to the free space, or is SS just less efficient than recording via line-in/direct?
I have used hours trying to solve this today. The last track of an CD I have here is 5:19 mins in duration, and I should have enough room on the MD - but after writing the previous tracks I end up with (2:37 in SP mode) 4 seconds short.. (even though the total of the CDs is like 79 mins and a few seconds).
So, my next plan, is to copy from CD to MD directly in the MXD-D40 deck at LP2 - this works - and much easier to handle gapless playback - but, of course, I don't get any track titles.
So, your utility script could be excellent to do a post-burn titling job on the PC. I will give it a try over the weekend and let you know how I get on!
P.S. Running SS43Ultimate on Win 10 64bit. Works fairy well, but sometimes freezes when I initialise/erase a disk.
Update: Tried with 'no titles', just a running number in the title field - but, exactly same issue, so it is not the title lengths causing issue.