CD->OMA->ATRAC or CD->WAV->ATRAC ??

Rate this topic

campekenobi

I'm just trying to understand how to get the best audio quality out of ripping my CDs to MD... If I use Sonic Stage to "record a CD" (which then created OMA files, I believe, then I "TRANSFER" them to my MD which makes them ATRAC, would using say Nero to rip my CD to WAV first then TRANSFER to MD sound better/worse or the same???

Thanks

I'm confused kurisu. If you record a CD using SonicStage then transfer to MD, it's a real tranfer isn't it? SonicStage encodes the CD at whatever bitrate and version ATRAC you tell it to, then wraps it in Sony's DMR crap. When you transfer it to MD over USB, the MD recorder isn't doing more encoding. The stuff is already in ATRAC.

So, unless I missunderstood the question, you gain nothing by creating an intermediate WAV version first. Campekenobi, you're worried about losing sound quality by doing multiple lossy encodings. Right?

Creating a WAV (or losslessly compressed) version *is* a good idea if you won't later have access to the CD but might down the road want to create a version using a different bitrate or codec (mp3 say).

i think that the software does the encoding. In simple burner if you notice till 50% of each track, there's an encoding process... and from 50% to 100% the transfering to the MD is done.

Haven't you noticed yet the difference in speed that the progress goes from 50% to 100%, compared when it goes from 0% to 50%.

I hope it wasn't too confusing smile.gif

I am fairly confident that the software is doing the encoding. Camp... if you want the best sounding MD files, then you will need to hook an optical input to your MD from your CD source. It's real time but you will get the best sound if you let the MD do the encoding and recording. It's a slow process but a few folks swear by it. I just rip it with Simple Burner (if I have the CD) or SS if I don't. I haven't personally been able to tell the difference or tried to listen that hard :wacky:

So, in other words

SS or SB: the software is encoding and transferring the files (the MD is not really "recording" just writing to disc)

Realtime optical or analog connections: MD is recording and encoding (some say this sounds better)