What Is Type-s And Type-r

Rate this topic

1kyle

Hello everybody -- Sometimes I'm still using a Net-MD MZ-N10 (for non HI-MD disks it's a great 2nd unit even thinner than the NH1 HI-MD unit whic I think is great.

On the back of the unit it has TYPE-S which I'm not sure what it means or does.

I've also got an old cheapish Mini Bookshelf system (MDLP) which has TYPE-R stamped on it.

Can anybody explain what these mean and what do they do (if anything).

I'm also sure it's been posted before but for 80 and 74 Min mimidiscs (and I've still got a few of the original 60 minute one's) I can't hear any discernible difference between LP2 and HI-SP --and LP2 gives a few minutes extra recording times.

On the 1GB discs of course you have to use them in HI-MD mode.

On DECENT equipment and speakers is there any noticeable difference. Even PCM doesn't sound very different (if at all). -- Of course this I know depends on the original quality of the source but I'm usually ripping Classical Music CD's -- not MP3's etc so the original CD quality should usually be very good.

(Real sound -- not just "Measurebating".

Cheers

-K

Type-R is the lastest incarnation of the ATRAC-codec for SP (Standard Play).

Type-S is a playback improvement for the MDLP-modes.

Speaking of Soundquality, it depends on the material, that is used.

However, even with the latest SonicStage version (2.3) there is still a difference between LP2 and SP/HiSP/PCM.

But, that difference is small and only audible with a good set of speakers or headphones and in direct A/B comparison.

So, for everyday listening or on the road, LP2 is adequate.

Btw, you do can use LP2 on HiMD formatted discs when transferring using SonicStage.

For serious concentrated listening and live recording, I still recommend the higher modes, especially, when the recordings are processed/edited later.

On the back of the unit it has TYPE-S which I'm not sure what it means or does ... I've also got an old cheapish  Mini Bookshelf system (MDLP) which has TYPE-R stamped on it.

From the minidisc.org site FAQ:

http://www.minidisc.org/faq_sec_4.html#Q9

http://www.minidisc.org/type_r_atrac.html

AFAICS it's to do with the way that the DSP sets things up for the ATRAC encoder to operate on.

Edited by imkidd57

How about 4x Type R SP recording. That is even better!

That would be good, provided it even existed to begin with!

If you're referring to the 4x CD->MD dub on Type-R MD decks/bookshelfs, then I believe the ATRAC 4.5 encoder is used when doing hi-speed recording (and not Type-R). Still, I haven't really bothered to take a good listen on my bookshelf, took this fact for granted, and did all my recording in SP real-time.

Can anyone confirm this is true?

Guest tony wong

answer :

type R : only works on recording side on SP only

it's a better alogrithm to analyse the bits from ur recording source

type S : type S DOES include type R

additional thing is the improvement on playback of LP2/LP4 tracks

type S only works when u have a player that have type S and only works when playing LP2/LP4 tracks, will not works for SP tracks

main difference :

type R works at recording side

type S works both at recording side(coz it include type R) and playback side(for LP2/LP4 only)

type S claimed to produce better sound at playback side on treble part of LP2/LP4 tracks

and, type R only work in real time recording

any fast cd-->md dubbing won't have type R function

if u doubt about type R only work at real time, u can contact Sony CS representative at ur region

no, this information is hidden from ur manuals

but, if u ever contact any one in Sony who know something about MD, they will surely tell u what I've just told u

Guest tony wong

Atrac SP Type-R rules! For me it's the best quality mode... much better than hi-sp smile.gif Realtime recording rocks!

thx, what u've told me just stop me from buying a Hi-MD unit

thought Hi-SP will be better than type R SP

Tony, you should probably check for yourself before assuming other peoples statements to be correct.

Download SS2.3, and rip some CDs into Hi-Sp. I know listening on ur PC isn't the same as your unit, but it's worth a shot, see if you can tell the difference.

From what I hear, the general consensus is that SP is better than Hi-SP, but only MARGINALLY so - you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. IIRC, it took one of the people who was comparing the codecs about 15 mins of repeted listening in an ABX test to come to any definate conclusions.

I guess for all practical purposes, the two codecs are the same. Perhaps Hi-SP lacks the sheen that Type-R SP colours to the sound. I don't know.

Guest tony wong

Tony, you should probably check for yourself before assuming other peoples statements to be correct.

Download SS2.3, and rip some CDs into Hi-Sp. I know listening on ur PC isn't the same as your unit, but it's worth a shot, see if you can tell the difference.

From what I hear, the general consensus is that SP is better than Hi-SP, but only MARGINALLY so - you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. IIRC, it took  one of the people who was comparing the codecs about 15 mins of repeted listening in an ABX test to come to any definate conclusions.

I guess for all practical purposes, the two codecs are the same. Perhaps Hi-SP lacks the sheen that Type-R SP colours to the sound. I don't know.

I don't have a Hi-MD so I'll have to trust others, right?

and, why u tell me to check for myself?

U mean I am ill? dry.gif

No sorry, you misinterpereted me. I just meant to say that you shouldn't take everybody elses word for granted.

Some people say SP is better, other say Hi-SP is better.

ABX tests have generally revealed SP to be only minutley better. Yet others claim that the presence of artifacts is more noticable in SP to begin with.

This goes to show that no-one elses test can really be valid in the sense that you will always hear things differently. In other words, your milage may vary.

You don't need a Hi-MD to test out Hi-SP, just SonicStage. Why not use your CMT-333NT unit as a basis for comparison? Play a song on an MD from a CD recorded in Hi-SP, and then play the same CD track ripped in SonicStage to Hi-SP with the 333NT hooked up to your pc via USB.

This way you can validate these claims for yourself.

The point is that validating audio codecs is a very subjective field - and one persons's opinion may not be true to you perception. Hell, you may even find that even if everyone else says one thing, you still experience something different.

Take advice with a grain of salt, is all i'm saying.

That would be good, provided it even existed to begin with!

If you're referring to the 4x CD->MD dub on Type-R MD decks/bookshelfs, then I believe the ATRAC 4.5 encoder is used when doing hi-speed recording (and not Type-R). Still, I haven't really bothered to take a good listen on my bookshelf, took this fact for granted, and did all my recording in SP real-time.

Can anyone confirm this is true?

So 4x Dubbing is not Type-R? Is there any linkage on this?

I think you might just be right anyway, since Type-R is esseantialy a 2pass encoding process.

Edited by Michael1980

Guest tony wong

So 4x Dubbing is not Type-R? Is there any linkage on this?

I think you might just be right anyway, since Type-R is esseantialy a 2pass encoding process.

ask anyone in Sony who ever knows at least something about MD, he/she will tell u this is 100% truth, but

just staying behind all of ur manual

well, u can see on indication for that :

when u record in real time and in SP, u will see "NORM" logo

that is it

You don't need a Hi-MD to test out Hi-SP, just SonicStage. Why not use your CMT-333NT unit as a basis for comparison? Play a song on an MD from a CD recorded in Hi-SP, and then play the same CD track ripped in SonicStage to Hi-SP with the 333NT hooked up to your pc via USB.

the fact is I can't even figure out the difference between SP and LP2 now

but I can tell u something else as reply :

the times when I first use this E710, I feel, wow, the sound is so "little" compare with my old E35

but then I found this unit have equalizer, then I tuned the equalizer(like on my Winamp on playing mp3), move higher on treble part

too long to mention, reply u later

[added]

to say in short : the new headphones from Sony(MDR-Q23SL) make me feel stupid

the sound come out of it is like sound from radio

the bass is very weak compare to my old Q33SL

Edited by tony wong