A Word in Favour of Real Player?

Rate this topic

Mr_Bass_Man

Can I say at the start that I am NOT the greatest fan of Real Player, nor Sonic Stage for that matter, as I detest the way Real Player has a "creeping, cancerous effect" on computers, wanting to do sneak into all kinds of hidden corners and bite you when you are not looking, and Sonic Stage is famously unfriendly.

However, at least with Real Player up and running, and with the "NetMD plugin" installed, it is very straightforward dragging and dropping files onto the "Current Burner/Device".

OK so there are some annoying issues with the titling/tagging of the file dropped, but that appears to me to be more intuitive than the performance you have to go through with Sonic Stage.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any plugin for Hi-MD devices - does anyone know of any, or any that are in the pipeline?

I am a rp user also; unfortunately there is not a driver available for hi-md via rp. Some people have been able to get files to transfer to the hi-md device because the netmd was fooled but all people who did this reported that the transfer was slower than netmd speeds.

My experience with calling rp and asking about the future availability of a hi-md driver goes like this...

me "will a hi-md driver be available soon?"

rp rep. "We will announce it when we have it"

me "does that mean you intend to have one available?"

rp rep. "I don't know, but if we do we will announce it."

me "so I could be waiting for nothing?"

rp rep. "have you tried our harmony technology? It works well with ipods."

me "thanks for your precision answers, goodbye."

On the plus side of my using rp, I've never had problems with it. I can store my music on an external hd disc using 353kbps (using realplayer gold) and I can hook that disc up to any computer and use the files...no need to make a library backup etc. I can format my computer's hd and reinstall my music files without a hassle.

Edited by bland10000

I used to be a real player fan, but recently its becoming more and more like WinAmp (which I detest), in the way that it takes over your computer and messes up your current settings. Like it's a huge pain to have to install RP to get .ram files to work only to have to go back through and take time to resent all of your other media options.... just my beef

On the plus side of my using rp, I've never had problems with it.  I can store my music on an external hd disc using 353kbps (using realplayer gold) and I can hook that disc up to any computer and use the files...no need to make a library backup etc.  I can format my computer's hd and reinstall my music files without a hassle.

You don't really need realplayer for that. Try using a free codec (FLAC/Ogg Vorbis/etc) and files are very portable.

• 3 years later...

Hi, Do you know if Real Alternative has a plugin to transfer files from minidisc to PC like the old Real Player plug-in?

It seems that the Real Player plugin no longer exists and I can't seem to find it anywhere...This restriction that Sony has on transferring back from minidisc to PC is extremely frustrating and ridiculous. Thanks for any help! :)

there is an alternative you could try. It is kinder to your PC.

Real Alternative

Real_Alternative

Hi, Do you know if Real Alternative has a plugin to transfer files from minidisc to PC like the old Real Player plug-in?

It seems that the Real Player plugin no longer exists and I can't seem to find it anywhere...This restriction that Sony has on transferring back from minidisc to PC is extremely frustrating and ridiculous. Thanks for any help! :)

That restriction has been lifted with Hi-MD, especially with the RH1?M200

Bob

Wow, a resurrected thread from 2005!

Realplayer never allowed transfers from minidisc to PC. Look at the original post.

It was always one-way the other way, PC to minidisc, just like SonicStage in the bad old NetMD days.

The only transfer of files in SP, LP2 or LP4 to PC is from the MZ-RH1. Case closed.