We will be at CES 2006!

Christopher

Sony's a software/content company first and foremost, with electronics carefully built to build revenue for the content (and Blu-ray continues that trend...).

thing is that originaly sony was a consumer electronics company thru and thru. but someone screwed up when mergerfever happend in the 90's, and suddenly sony was a record and movie company!

this however isnt sustainable as the entertainment department worrys to much about what the consumers/enemy will do with the products coming out of the electronics department. in the end this makes people move away from sony as a whole.

hell, when you hear sony suing itself by proxy (riaa suing some electronics group) you know the bottom have been reached and something have to be done. problem is that they did the wrong thing and pulled in a person from the entertainment world to try and fix it all...

Edited by hobgoblin

@Kurisu,

I've followed your coverage of CES over at atraclife.com and I will say thank you for your time and efforts on this. However, as others have noticed, there was no word of Minidisc from Sony... however, there wasn't anything saying the format was disappearing either. Did you happen to see anything else that wasn't reported yet? Perhaps they're pushing off Connect Player in the US to include the new Video service along with other functionality like "legacy" device support? Do share whatever you can. Thanks!

thing is that originaly sony was a consumer electronics company thru and thru. but someone screwed up when mergerfever happend in the 90's, and suddenly sony was a record and movie company!

this however isnt sustainable as the entertainment department worrys to much about what the consumers/enemy will do with the products coming out of the electronics department. in the end this makes people move away from sony as a whole.

hell, when you hear sony suing itself by proxy (riaa suing some electronics group) you know the bottom have been reached and something have to be done. problem is that they did the wrong thing and pulled in a person from the entertainment world to try and fix it all...

HG,

I think you hit the nail on the head. The problem we have is that they pulled in Stringer from the Entertainment side because that was considered "more profitable" than electronics. But were they more profitable because they put a stranglehold on the electronic division? i.e. "Quit making gadgets that allow our criminals, er customers, to copy the music they buy? :angry:

My feeling is that Stringer will favor the Entertainment side. I mean they made a nice little gadget in the PSP. It would have been explosive if they would have allowed people to record onto UMD's (either music or movies). Instead, they think people will shell out $40 bucks to buy the same movie twice (one DVD, one UMD). Think again! :blink:

Look at CES 2006. It's 2006 and all you have to show is e-books?? Give me a break! but again, they want people to buy the content. They don't think of the money as coming from the electronics. As much as I hate to admit, watch Apple introduce something cool in a few weeks.

My feeling is that Stringer will favor the Entertainment side. I mean they made a nice little gadget in the PSP. It would have been explosive if they would have allowed people to record onto UMD's (either music or movies). Instead, they think people will shell out $40 bucks to buy the same movie twice (one DVD, one UMD). Think again! :blink:

Surprisingly many do. UMD movie sales are higher than expected.

The only plus of a UMD recorder is that 1.8 Gig of memory may be available in a cheaper format. Sony's new 2 and 4 gig memsticks are rather expensive, and UMD might be a little cheaper in the long run. (as is Hi and classic MD)