BMC-12 update.....

Rate this topic

sant430_

So I did my first recording at the Colorado Convention Center with my SP-BMC-12 binaurals. Dolly Parton was the performer. I was 2nd row center (pit) using my nh1 with the mics connected to a batt box (bass roll-off settings were NOT used) via the line-in. The mics are in croakies attached to glasses resting on the top of my head.

Overall, I was really impressed with the recording. The highs were clear and the bass was VERY strong. I never had to use the bass roll-off settings with the cardioid mics before, that's why my bass roll-off settings were all off. These binaurals seem to have less of a 'tunnel' effect than my cardioids (I have cmc-8s) and I like the bass on these binaurals too. It's MUCH more prevalent compared to the cardioids. However, I"m going to try and see if I can drop the bass on an eq after I upload it.

btw, I recorded the show in pcm and set the rec level to 'ForLoudMusic'.....

a couple of quick tips:

- try to keep your head between the mics as a separator (by wearing the glasses and makins sure the mics as close to your ears as possible) this improves the stereo picture immensely

- 'loudmusic' setting means you either used AGC or didn't know that that setting doesn't matter when using manual rec-levels... but the suggestion: always use manual rec-levels as the AGC will cause unbalanced volume and even swooshing sounds when confronted with sudden loudness (like a bass-drum etc)... so even though it's a little unpractical (until you get the hang of it) manual settings are really worth it

but glad to see someone enjoyng the recording capabilities of (Hi)MD!

a couple of quick tips:

- try to keep your head between the mics as a separator (by wearing the glasses and makins sure the mics as close to your ears as possible) this improves the stereo picture immensely

- 'loudmusic' setting means you either used AGC or didn't know that that setting doesn't matter when using manual rec-levels... but the suggestion: always use manual rec-levels as the AGC will cause unbalanced volume and even swooshing sounds when confronted with sudden loudness (like a bass-drum etc)... so even though it's a little unpractical (until you get the hang of it) manual settings are really worth it

but glad to see someone enjoyng the recording capabilities of (Hi)MD!

By moving the glasses down I'll get a better stereo picture? I thought I would get a better sound by keeping them 'higher' and 'closer to the performer'. that's interesting, I'll have to try that....

Yah, I didn't want to mess with the manual control since I was recording in pcm and didn't want to have to re-calibrate the manual setting... :mellow:

Next show will be in hi-sp and manual levels......

::EDIT::

Since I prefer to use line-in with a batt box, does anyone know what rec level is ideal for loud shows with this setup? I'm going to try around 20/30 and see how that goes.

I'm seeing Depeche Mode in Nov. and I'm about a 20 seats back. I've read that cardioids are better if you're further away, but I'm going to try the bmc-12 again. I love the stronger bass they provide

Edited by sant430

By moving the glasses down I'll get a better stereo picture? I thought I would get a better sound by keeping them 'higher' and 'closer to the performer'.

well, if they are on top of your head and the mics are in the SP croakies, it means they are sitting on top of your head side by side... this will provide a very clear sound, but as there is very little difference in their position (just a couple of inches separated without anything in between them) they will pick up almost the same sound... so there will be very little stereo effect. By putting a physical separator (like your head) between them, one element will pick up a slightly different sound pattern than the other, ergo stereo sound... just search for the threads started by greenmachine, he has one concerning stereo separation

Yah, I didn't want to mess with the manual control since I was recording in pcm and didn't want to have to re-calibrate the manual setting... :mellow: Next show will be in hi-sp and manual levels......

why would PCM be different than HiSP? The format (and compression) shouldn't affect the rec levels at all, so no difference between PCM or HiSP what rec-levels are concerned

Since I prefer to use line-in with a batt box, does anyone know what rec level is ideal for loud shows with this setup?

there is no such thing as the universal perfect setting that works for all mics and venues... each mic as its own sensitivity, each venue its own loudness and acoustics, so it's quite useless to blindly copy someone's settings as they could very well be completely wrong for your occasion/setup

The MD's come equipped with level indicators (two dynamic rows of stripes which indicate the levels in the right and left channels and two fixed dots which indicate the -12db and 0db levels) The trick is to set the manual levels as such that the highest peak in sound level comes close but not on/over the 0db dot and the average peaks are somewhere between the -12db and the 0db... this is quite difficult as you can't always predict the max loudness, so better be safe and leave some headroom...

this said I used relatively low sensitivity mics and a battery box ->line in on some loud venues and my settings were between 20/30 and 25/30 almost every time... but if you have higher sensitivity mics (not necessarily high, but higher than mine, which are low sensitivity :P if you still follow what I'm saying here) you should read this as 18/30-23/30 I guess

It's really a bit trial and error you know, till you get the hang of it (till you know your setup very well and learn to 'read' the venue's loudness from the first tones or even the soundcheck) and keeping an eye on the level indicators really helps

BTW, which HiMD model do you use?

With some higher sensitive mics (i can't give you exact numbers, sorry) i had to set it as low as 14/30 once when recording a loud show with a battery box via line-in, so it really depends.

Check out this thread for comparing various microphone placing techniques, including

2) microphones 6" apart, no baffle (comes close to mics on top of your head, without separator)

4) microphones 6" apart, human head as a baffle (placed near the ears, head as a baffle):

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11297

• 3 weeks later...

You'll find that the BMC-12's are very robust as well. I've had mine for over a year and they have been pulled and jerked in a mosh pit (silly) as well as being hooked to anything and everything at regular intervals, and they are still working fine.

I fully agree with using your head as a baffle between the mics. Placing the mics at the temple level of glasses creates a particular kind of stereo effect, but sliding them back on the arms until they are nearly on your ears gives a nearly-true 'binaural' effect. This effect will be most prominent with headphones.

The shape of your head and shoulders provides much of the 3D effect you have with normal hearing, what with sounds bouncing off them. Pro-grade binaural mics are mounted inside the ears of a computer-designed dummy-head which mimics a 'generic' human head. I have heard of people making their own with mannequin heads from clothing stores, and using prosthetic ears to help mimic the shape of a person's head!

Practically speaking, you will get the best binaural effect from placing the mics as close to your ears as possible. I still get very decent stereo from clipping them to the corners of my jacket lapels. You might like to experiment with them at home, playing something on a stereo and moving the mics from one position to another, and noting the difference in the recording.

~Archivist~