thinking of returning to MD

Rate this topic

yoozer

I was kind of a MD early adopter, used it to record off the board and my own music ideas. I still use my old Sharp unit now and then and I really love it. My biggest gripe was ATRAC and slow transfer (recording, then) of files. I just got a M-audio Microtrack and I'm considering sending it back because it just wasn't what I was expecting. From what I've seen, the Hi-MD players I've looked at are still not the device the Microtrack claims to be, the high resolution, phantom power, CF card (fast file transfer) are all advantages I haven't seen in the Hi-MD devices.

But I really have to say I just miss my minidisc, the Microtrack has some issues to iron out, and I keep reading that Hi-MD is now a fast transfer, and that you can record uncompressed now, etc. So it appears *some* of the problems have gone away, except maybe too little too late, right?

So in the market for a $250-or-under device, I'd love some recommendations/info, I'm most concerned about a good interface, best recording quality available, and not so much with the look or bells and whistles.

1. Is there a range of resolutions for sound quality (bit/sample rate) on these devices?

2. Is there something like my old Sharp with the jog wheel-centric design? I have never used a better interface on any device in my life. Looked weird but worked great.

3. Just how fast is the software-dependent transfer?

4. I've always been a huge Sony-hater in terms of their crippling proprietary approach to everything, and it would be a big plus for me if there was a way to get data off these discs without Sony's nasty software touching a single byte of it. . .Possible? Is interfacing this device with the computer a hacker's realm? I don't mind tinkering to get a reliable workflow but I can't stand mysterious quality degradations, etc.

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions or leads to information you might have!

1) There's 'only' PCM (1411kbps, 44.1kHz, 16bit), Hi-SP (Atrac3+ compressed at 256kbps) and Hi-LP (A3+ @ 64kbps) for recording.

2) It's not perfectly centered, but the NH700 for example has one. Take a look around in the equipment browser.

3) Depends on the recording mode with PCM usually not significantly faster than ~1.5x realtime, Hi-SP about 5x faster than PCM, Hi-LP about 20x faster than PCM.

4. I've always been a huge Sony-hater in terms of their crippling proprietary approach to everything, and it would be a big plus for me if there was a way to get data off these discs without Sony's nasty software touching a single byte of it. . .Possible? Is interfacing this device with the computer a hacker's realm? I don't mind tinkering to get a reliable workflow but I can't stand mysterious quality degradations, etc.

No quality degradations. But you have to use SonicStage. The latest versions are ok. Not perfect, but it will get the job done. Transfers are slow. But you don't have to wait around.

My understanding is that the 1st gen HiMD NH600/700/900/NH1 can also record on a ordinary MD (non HiMD) in SP/SP2/SP4 and in HiMD PCM/HiSP/HiLP. The 2nd gen HiMD RH10/RH910/RH710 can only use HiMD and PCM/HiSP/HiLP.

3) Depends on the recording mode with PCM usually not significantly faster than ~1.5x realtime, Hi-SP about 5x faster than PCM, Hi-LP about 20x faster than PCM.

Whoa, so this isn't really anything close to a data transfer, at least not for PCM. thanks!

My understanding is that the 1st gen HiMD NH600/700/900/NH1 can also record on a ordinary MD (non HiMD) in SP/SP2/SP4 and in HiMD PCM/HiSP/HiLP. The 2nd gen HiMD RH10/RH910/RH710 can only use HiMD and PCM/HiSP/HiLP.

Ok that's good to know, what's the main advantage of 2nd generation Hi-MD?