(dual layer) Blank Media- What brands do you prefer?

Rate this topic

mercury_in_flames

Name your preference, I'd really like to hear opinions on dual layer media brands.

So far Ive used a brand called Tuff Disc, which are abysmal to say the least. Ive recently been using another brand called BulkPaq, which give a good to bad disc ration of 8:2. With Tuff Disc, sometimes my dvd writer would just lock up, I then got newer firmware for it, whether or not it was the media at fault im not sure.

I have recently bought a 10 pack of Ricoh branded dual layer dvd's with a 2.4x write speed, as well as an 8x dual layer disc also by Ricoh (my dvd writer goes maximum 6x on dual layer dvds). I'll report back with my findings. Ive tried Verbatim ones, they are excellent, but are too expensive for my tastes.

Cheers for the input.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com has a blank media forum here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Which is the best discussion I've seen on this stuff anywhere.

Long story short: you get what you pay for with dual layer media.

Philips and Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation (Verbatim's parent company)

Link: http://www.m-kagaku.co.jp/index_en.htm

developed dual-layer DVD+R media together, so it's not surprising to see Verbatim selling higher-quality discs (and charging an arm and a leg).

edit: added linkage

Edited by tekdroid

hmm, what i dont understand that is when i play the dvd;s back on my computer they play back fine, but when i rip to dvd my dvd player wont play it back, on the odd occassion. I can play those dvd's back on my computer, but on my dvd player it sometimes locks up at a certain chapter or just refuses to play when i click play at the menu. Ive got a sony dvp-ns29 dvd player, and a sony drx-800ul dvd writer and writes 4.7 gig dvd's like a charm. Whats weird is that the verifying stage always works without a hitch using Nero. <_<

In my experience, it's probably best to just stick with Verbatim for DL. I haven't had any problems with their DVD+R DL discs on any drive/player I've thrown them at, though they are a bit pricey at 3 for $11.99.

As an aside, I would stay away from those new 25-pack spindles of DL media by Memorex that go for only $50. I have heard mixed reviews of them already, and my experience with their single-layer discs hasn't been very impressive. DL discs are still too expensive IMO to be taking chances.

So far for dvd+r (4.7gig)media, ive tried Imation, Sony, both 8x speed media. They work for video and data like a charm, never had a dud.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...4060430-9242217

Is there any particular reason to go for dual layer instead of double layer 8.5 gig discs, apart from compatibility?? I've head DVD+R DL is more compatible with dvd players.

Edited by GregTheRotter

Another thing ive noticed is that if I am burning a dual layer disc and doing other things like using the internet, msn messenger etc, There is a much higher chance of me getting an error along the way. In fact, while burning dual layer discs by a brand called TuffDisc, of about 10, 3 became coasters. I did however update my firmware after that, and of course am not using those anymore.

• 1 month later...

Well today i wanted to write a dvd i had ripped to my desktop (as a backup of course), and i then proceded to write it to a verbatim 16x capable dvd+r (4.7 gig), i did a speed measurement first, and it ended up telling me i had to write it at 8x as the highest it reached was 11x read speed. The same was happening when i tried burning a dvd-rom of my 'my documents' folder, it was getting crap read speeds. Next, I updated the firmware, and tried it again, but the read speeds continue to be well below 16x. I then tried writing a 4.7 gig dvd rom from my external Lacie d2 external hard disk, this thing was getting read speeds on average of 22x!! I mean im glad for my Lacie, but what gives with my laptops hard disk??!!