Is Hi-MD firmware updateable by the consumer?

Rate this topic

MZ-1

There are only updates for serious bugs and the unit has to be sent to Sony Support. It has been the case for wrong caracters display with the RH10, if I remember well ...

So there are no easy firmware upgrade practically.

I've never seen any consumer firmware update for MD models. Is it even possible with the current hardware?

The functionality would make sense to me.

Paul

You make a good point. Firmware should be upgradeable. Think of it, you download the software from Sony, then transfer it to your Hi-MD unit and the unit implements the new software. You could get all the bug fixes and even new codecs, or updated codecs. I think the idea of having software carved in stone is so 1990s <_< .

NW-E507 et al. are DESIGNED to be updated by the customer via USB connection. I am not sure that any MD (or Hi-MD) unit is that easly updatable. Probably one of the following methods is used by servicemen:

1. Using a pre-recorded disc containing new firmware in a special format. This is similar to DVD-player firmware updates, when you download the update, burn it onto a disc (sometimes using special procedures, so that the disc structure complies with certain requirements), and use this disc to update the DVD-player. The problem here is that MD units are not "universal burners" that can burn anything, so that even if such updates exist, users will probably not be able to burn them onto a disc.

2. Using service mode & a USB connection. This seems to me a bit more probable than the first method. In this case the reasons why updates are not released to the general public are quite obvious. Remember - even service manuals do not contain complete descriptions of service mode functions.

EDIT: I am 99% sure that a firmware update could enable WMA and AAC playback on a Hi-MD unit. Not to speak of correcting the crippled MP3 playback.

EDIT#2: Another reason may be that a firmware update on a [Hi-]MD unit resets all laser adjustments to their default levels, rendering the unit unusable until re-adjusted by a professional serviceman using specially designed adjustment discs (mentioned in the service manual). Remember - Flash and HDD units do not have to be adjusted to be operable.

Edited by Avrin

Processors only support processing instructions. If there are instructions (from the firmware) to decode WMA, AAC, OGG, MP4, etc. the processor will process them. SONY flash and HDD units with firmware version 1.00 did not support WMA and AAC, and now they do. And I don't think that an MD processor is a less sophisticated chip.

• 1 month later...

Remember, Hi-MD is a strategic piece of hardware (The only high quality recording means available for a democratic $200)

Besides, Sony doesn't like the idea of masses gaining access to digital copying of pre-recorded MD's, which firmware can probably easily be hacked for would it be user-upgradeable.

Control over MD's firmware is in the likeness of gun control...

Processors only support processing instructions. If there are instructions (from the firmware) to decode WMA, AAC, OGG, MP4, etc. the processor will process them. SONY flash and HDD units with firmware version 1.00 did not support WMA and AAC, and now they do. And I don't think that an MD processor is a less sophisticated chip.

That is only valid for a general use processor. Most consumer electronic devices have a specific chipsets that only function/optimized for certain funtionality. Yes, you can probably create a firmware for Md/HiMd to decode AAC, but if the codec chip is not optimized for it, you may only get sub-optimal result (like slower than real-time decoding, very high power draw, etc).

Remember, Hi-MD is a strategic piece of hardware (The only high quality recording means available for a democratic $200)

Besides, Sony doesn't like the idea of masses gaining access to digital copying of pre-recorded MD's, which firmware can probably easily be hacked for would it be user-upgradeable.

Control over MD's firmware is in the likeness of gun control...

These days everybody can ripp original CD and make a copy, and Sony worries about prerecorded Md???

Has anybody try to upload a prerecorded MD with the RH1?

Has anybody try to upload a prerecorded MD with the RH1?

But the RH1 cannot be considered a mass product.

How many of them have been (or even planned to be) shipped? I guess a couple of orders of magnitude less then the legacy MD decks with digital-out...

• 2 weeks later...