Problem with titles on Onkyo Hi-MD systems

Rate this topic

mhousel

When I manually enter track titles in SonicStage, they usually don't display correctly on my Onkyo md-133 deck. It just shows a couple of random letters. It works fine when the titles are automatically filled in using CDDB. Does anybody know about this and how to fix it?

Thanks,

Mark

I am glad you brought this up. I am having a similar issue on my Onkyo X-B8. I think something has changed in SS 4.0 in the way the titles are written as I have only had this issue since I upgraded. I've noticed the titles show up fine on all my MD Walkmans but on the Onkyo are garbled.

I have found a couple of workarounds:

1/ Before wrtiting the disc, in Sonic Stage use the Intialize Disc (Device / Media Info) option in the bottom right of the transfer window to format the disc through Sonic Stage. After doing this the titles show up ok. However the main drawback of this is you can only write discs in one session as anything appended in a later session will have the same issue. Which can be difficult on 1GB discs.

2/ The other workaround is to write the disc using Simple Burner. If you want 352k or cover art or something I use Sonic Stage but then have to retitle them in Simple Burner which is also time-consuming.

I am thinking of raising this with Sony as it is starting to annoy me...

* Moved to software discussion

Yes if you rename with the same title it doesn't save it. I just delete the last letter or something save, then put it back in again. But like I say this is really irritating, especially as it's not just the track titles, but group titles, artist titles on every track and album titles...

I don't know - I don't think it is anything to do with the connection type as 1) Hi-MD only uses USB 1.1 anyway and 2) the titles show up fine when the disc is inserted into a Sony MD Walkman. I think something has changed in the character set used or something in the SS software...

• 2 months later...

I've done some more testing, specifically with one disc that I'm having trouble with. It's blue 1gig disc that I call 'Joy Division Discography'. However, the 105FX only sees the disc title as "vDa" yet displays every group, album and track title correctly. So I tried blanking and rewriting the disc name in both SB and SonicStage. I tried renaming it to something else. I tried blanking it and then naming it in the deck. Nothing works. Whenever you try and write a new disc title in the deck (from blank or vDa) it says "Impossible".

Just what causes this problem? I've got many discs I've made in SonicStage and SimpleBurner that appear fine.

Edited by RobShaz

The problem for me happens with discs made with both SS and SB. It's not /such/ an annoyance, I just wish I knew exactly what it was for future workarounds. I've actually made some legacy SP discs with the deck recently and titling with the remote is quick once you get the hang of it.

The Onkyo HiMD gear definitely uses Type-S (and therefore Type-R) right?

Can you guys confirm you are both using SS 4.0? If so I'm going to regression-test this on 3.4 over the weekend. (I've had to replace the hard-drive on my laptop and haven't put SS back on yet). I recall I was using 3.4 when I first got my X-B8 and don't remember having any issues.

Meantime the workaround that definitely worked for me was to format the disc in SS 4.0 before transferring.

I've always updated SS to the latest version straight away, so for me I have problematic discs created with 4.0 for sure. I'm tempted to transfer an entire problematic 1gig disc over, format it, and transfer back. If it doesn't work then I'll be quite annoyed, since it's quite a strain on the portable's recording head!

Ok - I haven't been able to test this on 3.4 yet as it appears it is now pretty much nowhere to be found.

However what I did do was this.

I installed 3.0 JEB Overseas Edition from the disc that came with my DH10P. I then upgraded this to 3.3 from the Sony Vaio UK ftp archive.

I ripped a cd and transferred to a re-formatted 80 min disc without initializing the disc in SS. Titles showed up perfect on the X-B8. I then appended another album to the same disc and edited some titles on the first still no problems.

Simple Burner also has no problems.

On another machine I did the same but upgraded to the UK version 4.0 and got the titles issue. Again I have to initialize the disc in Sonic Stage before transferring to Hi-MD for titles to show ok. This again means you cannot append albums to the same disc as the titles will be messed up again.

Simple Burner is still fine. This does not get changed when updating SS.

I think therefore that something changed in 4.0 as regards titling and Sony must have stepped outside the parameters of the Hi-MD titling format in some way that leads to titles not displaying right on non Sony equipment.

I can't test this on 3.4 yet Osiris but if someone wants to setup an .iso download of the version of 3.4 that comes with the RH1 I'll be happy to test it. If it does work in 3.4 that would be nice as 3.3 doesn't rip direct to 352k...

• 1 month later...

Just an update, but it seems that this issue may actually be fixed in Sonic Stage 4.2. I have tested a few discs now and can append to previously recorded 1GB discs and write to new discs without prior formatting in Sonic Stage and the titles now show up fine on my Onkyo X-B8. Has anyone else tried this since upgrading?

Since I remade most of my HiMD discs in SonicStage 4.2 I've not had the error appear. I also stopped using Simple Burner. I think titling in SB causes it.

Thanks for the update - I must say I never had the problem in SB and think it was SS 4.0. Also the fact SB doesn't get updated with the 4.2 upgrade leads me to say that. Anyhow I'm fairly happy now it's solved.