Which Hi-MD for iPod replacement?

Rate this topic

Girvo

Hi there.

I'm Girvo, and I live in Australia :)

Now, I am considering replacing my ageing iPod Mini withs its 4gb HDD, to a Hi-MD player.

I might be using it for recording as well, as it seems like an excellent feature.

One of the main things the player MUST do is play MP3s without having to worry about transcoding. One of the reasons I want to move to MD is that the sound quality of my mini is terrible, even with $70 Seinhousser headphones :S

Okay, so in summary, it needs to be able to play MP3's. It needs to be fairly cheap. It s preferable if it looks cool too :P

Thanks in advance!

-Girvo

. One of the reasons I want to move to MD is that the sound quality of my mini is terrible, even with $70 Seinhousser headphones :S

I think u got some fakes there ;)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't put a cent towards a new unit without listening to it first, if sound quality is your primary concern. I don't know how many shops allow you to put a track or two on Hi-MD and take a listen. Pretty much the only one selling that does what you want is the MZ-RH1 (which isn't cheap). Previous models had the infamous mp3-sounding-worse-due-to-bug-or-intentional-Sony-feature-feature. And ones before that had no native mp3 playback without transcoding. So you're pretty much left with the MZ-RH1 as your only choice.

Not fakes :) Bought Duty Free at Brisbane Airport. Nice headphones, I think they were clearance items.

Back on topic. I wish to steer clear of iPods. Why? I am sick of being limited to the 2gb or 4gb. I want to be able to expand when needed. Hence, minidisc :)

The RH1 seems like its the one that I need. $400 AUD, expensive, but may be worth it. Any other ideas?

The RH1 seems like its the one that I need. $400 AUD, expensive, but may be worth it. Any other ideas?

Keep in mind most MD units offer 5mW outputs which might not drive some higher impedance headphones well. You also may not mind the transcoding, who knows? If so, I would grab a 99 dollar MZ-NH600 from www.minidisc.com.au (but it has no mic input). Comes with some useful accessories, though. Hard to beat for Hi-MD playback, though. You can also consider ripping CDs to linear PCM, but it's expensive given that Hi-MDs now go for 11.95 RRP here...

Keep in mind most MD units offer 5mW outputs which might not drive some higher impedance headphones well. You also may not mind the transcoding, who knows? If so, I would grab a 99 dollar MZ-NH600 from www.minidisc.com.au (but it has no mic input). Comes with some useful accessories, though. Hard to beat for Hi-MD playback, though. You can also consider ripping CDs to linear PCM, but it's expensive given that Hi-MDs now go for 11.95 RRP here...

I am going to transcode some now to see what they sound like :)

• 3 weeks later...

i would recommend this if 20gb seems enough for you, in terms of sound quality the kenwood digital amp should beat the sony hd digital amp hands down (considering kenwood's amp is derived from sharp's 1-bit auvi line)

http://www.warehouse123.com/ProductInfo.ph...=KENHD20GA7-BLK