3 New Sony MD Micro systems, but no Hi-MD :.(

Rate this topic

jernikfra

Sony press releases today for 4 new micro systems, 3 with MD, 1 without.Still no Hi-MD though, and no world band tuner either, so it's for those lucky and spoiled Japanese only, they have so many cool products to choose from, while the rest of the world can only drool.Here's the links:

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200709/07-0911C/

http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/200709/07-0911B/

They also finally released a new MP3 walkman with 8gb and noise cancelling earphones, something they've never had before.Can't tell if it supports atrac though, may be someone who reads Japanese can find out!

Enjoy!

I just confirmed that the new MP3 walkmans coming out in October will do atrac and work with sonicstage, so atrac it still breathes life, luckily!

The Bookshelf systems wont be very expensive either , probably under 300 dollars . or pretty close to it . we will see . What a shame they didnt put HiMD on them eh ? I mean their competition ( I use the term loosely) comes out with HiMD decks before they do . Could that in itself be a Glimmer of hope . Will Sharp or Onkyo come out with a HiMD portable , they have it in the home system ......... Maybe , just maybe .

I reckon the system - even if it is modified somehow for the market - may be finding its way to the UK in about a year. There was a similar 'Gigajuke' system which soon followed after an identical version was released the year previously in Japan. The only difference being that no minidisc slot was available, although the UK version had DAB radio as a bonus.

On a side note, I find it highly ironic although not at all surprising that Sony have effectively destroyed Hi-MD, preferring to keep legacy MD alive. Exactly as I predicted they would. For years I've stockpiled legacy equipment knowing full well that the newer MD format would never see that much progress due to the usual Sony paranoid behaviour. I just wish that the transfer of raw SP data could finally be made into reality.

Edited by kino170878

I reckon the system - even if it is modified somehow for the market - may be finding its way to the UK in about a year. There was a similar 'Gigajuke' system which soon followed after an identical version was released the year previously in Japan. The only difference being that no minidisc slot was available, although the UK version had DAB radio as a bonus.

On a side note, I find it highly ironic although not at all surprising that Sony have effectively destroyed Hi-MD, preferring to keep legacy MD alive. Exactly as I predicted they would. For years I've stockpiled legacy equipment knowing full well that the newer MD format would never see that much progress due to the usual Sony paranoid behaviour. I just wish that the transfer of raw SP data could finally be made into reality.

Couldnt agree more. Lots of folks in Japan have MD and didnt go to HiMD so it makes sense, in that respect. I didnt have sense enough to stay with Legacy as it was too weasy to make copies on HiMD with my Mac, thoug I have no other issues with Legacy-which think sounds as good as HiMD

An afterthought.. Are they still selling new MD walkman units in Japan?