Can someone please help me. Audacity Problems

Rate this topic

casuall002

Ok, I'll recap a bit. Getting an error transferring data using SS 4.0 and SS 4.3 but it plays through SS fine. I have the MZ-RH910. So, I was told to use Audacity which I installed. I'm using a laptop and connecting via USB and pressing play on SonicStage and pressing record on Audacity. However, the only sound it's recording is us talking/tv/etc...The sound is turned all the way down on my laptop. Should I be using a 3.5 to 3.5? If so, what jacks do I use? On the MD I have "mic in", "line in" and a "headphone"

Do I use the 3.5 from headphone (MD) to mic jack on laptop? If so, isn't this going analog? Isn't this of poor quality?

Can someone please help walk me through this. I'd really like to keep it digital and not have to mess with getting a PCMCIA Soundcard and going analog.

In the Audio I/O it says (not that I understand what all this means)

Playback- Device- Microsoft Sound Mapper- Output

Recording- Device- Microsoft Sound Mapper- Input

Channels- 1 (Mono)

I am lost so please if you could dumb down the answers I'd really appreciate it. :D

Edited by casuall002

When using Audacity to record from my minisdisc (rather than upload the files and convert to wav then import into Audacity -- before having to rearrange the sequence) I use an iMic. Works fine every time by simply plugging in the AUDIO out on the MD and the Mic input on iMic.

When not using the iMic I've learnt that the best way to import MD audio files into Audacity is to do one MD converted file at a time otherwise I get completely lost by the rearranging of sequence and labels. Since my recoding sesiosn may leave with up to 15 files to handle slowly slowly file by file seems the best approach --c checking the sequencing each time. I import a new WAV file.

I haven't yet worked out how to label a MD file either in the machine or in Sonic Stage so that by the time it reaches Audacity I can still trust the labeling.

If you have Line in on your computer , open Audacity , then on the Tool bar ( Top of everything , klik the Audacity name for the dropdown of options , from there go to "Preferences " in Prefs , Look for the Tab , Audio I/O , in that tab , you select what input Audacity will take from . after that restart audacity .

With Audacity open , put your cursor on the input meter and double klik it to make it active , play the MD and adjust the levels so the meters aren't peaking above 0 db , ( Never go above that , other wise you will get distortion )

whe your Hottest levels are just under 0db , then restart the Md at the beginning , and hit the record button in Audacity . You will see the Waveform scroll across the screen .

Audacity isnt just point and shoot , there are settings that you need to learn to use it well , Quality of in and out , file types , How to convert to MP 3 by installing the LAME library encoder, display behavior , etc , then how to use effects ( There are many options in Audacity ) take the time to learn them by going to Audacity's website and go thru the tutorials .

here is the Manual

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/audacity-manual-1.2.pdf

If you have Line in on your computer , open Audacity , then on the Tool bar ( Top of everything , klik the Audacity name for the dropdown of options , from there go to "Preferences " in Prefs , Look for the Tab , Audio I/O , in that tab , you select what input Audacity will take from . after that restart audacity .

With Audacity open , put your cursor on the input meter and double klik it to make it active , play the MD and adjust the levels so the meters aren't peaking above 0 db , ( Never go above that , other wise you will get distortion )

whe your Hottest levels are just under 0db , then restart the Md at the beginning , and hit the record button in Audacity . You will see the Waveform scroll across the screen .

Audacity isnt just point and shoot , there are settings that you need to learn to use it well , Quality of in and out , file types , How to convert to MP 3 by installing the LAME library encoder, display behavior , etc , then how to use effects ( There are many options in Audacity ) take the time to learn them by going to Audacity's website and go thru the tutorials .

here is the Manual

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/audacity-manual-1.2.pdf

I don't have a line in on my laptop...just a "mic" and "headphone" symbol???

I don't have a line in on my laptop...just a "mic" and "headphone" symbol???

Back up, everybody. It plays through SonicStage. No need for Line-in.

You want to record the SonicStage playback. So you want Audacity to hear the soundcard--not the mic that must be in your computer picking up the TV and all that other stuff.

Open Audacity. Under Edit/Preferences Audio I/O you need to select your soundcard. Every computer has a different soundcard, so you'll have to figure it out, but there probably aren't very many choices. Change the Channels to Stereo-2.

Mine in my current computer is also set at the moment to Microsoft Sound Mapper-Input--which may be what it's calling the mixer via Volume Control, see below. But there's also a Sigma Tel Audio soundcard installed. Anyway, do some experimenting if you have to. You don't have to hook up the MD yet--just play a CD or mp3 file in the computer, open Audacity, hit the Record button and you can see if it's coming through.

Once you've got Audacity listening to the soundcard, make sure the soundcard isn't picking up extraneous stuff--as it seems to be. The soundcard is like a mixer in your computer, putting through or muting various sources. Right-click the little speaker icon on your taskbar, lower right, and open up Volume Control. Mute (check box at bottom) extra things like PC Beep, MIDI, Microphone, SW Synthesizer, and even CD player--all you want for the moment is Wave that you're going to be getting out of SonicStage. Look at Options/Recording, too, which may be where you need to shut off the mic.

Now open SonicStage, connect the MD, play back the track and make sure it's coming through the computer speakers (or headphone jack). Open Audacity, hit the record button, start playback again and--I hope--you're good to go.

Don't forget to un-Mute the CD player afterward....

Edited by A440

Back up, everybody. It plays through SonicStage. No need for Line-in.

You want to record the SonicStage playback. So you want Audacity to hear the soundcard--not the mic that must be in your computer picking up the TV and all that other stuff.

Open Audacity. Under Edit/Preferences Audio I/O you need to select your soundcard. Every computer has a different soundcard, so you'll have to figure it out, but there probably aren't very many choices. Change the Channels to Stereo-2.

Mine in my current computer is also set at the moment to Microsoft Sound Mapper-Input--which may be what it's calling the mixer via Volume Control, see below. But there's also a Sigma Tel Audio soundcard installed. Anyway, do some experimenting if you have to. You don't have to hook up the MD yet--just play a CD or mp3 file in the computer, open Audacity, hit the Record button and you can see if it's coming through.

Once you've got Audacity listening to the soundcard, make sure the soundcard isn't picking up extraneous stuff--as it seems to be. The soundcard is like a mixer in your computer, putting through or muting various sources. Right-click the little speaker icon on your taskbar, lower right, and open up Volume Control. Mute (check box at bottom) extra things like PC Beep, MIDI, Microphone, SW Synthesizer, and even CD player--all you want for the moment is Wave that you're going to be getting out of SonicStage. Look at Options/Recording, too, which may be where you need to shut off the mic.

Now open SonicStage, connect the MD, play back the track and make sure it's coming through the computer speakers (or headphone jack). Open Audacity, hit the record button, start playback again and--I hope--you're good to go.

Don't forget to un-Mute the CD player afterward....

Awesome. Thanks!

Quick question as I'm on Vista now and things are a bit rearranged. (for instance, the sound/volume controller is much different now)

On the I/O portion of Audacity I have switched it to 2 (Stereo).

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to change the "Playback" or "Recording" Device. My soundcards name in device manager is Realtek High Definition Audio

In Audacity, do I change:

The "Playback Device" (Output)

On the drop down for that I have Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) AND Realtek Digital Output (Realteck Digital)

OR

under recording device I have:

Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)

I know this is probably pretty basic stuff but I don't use my MD all that often. I really appreciate the help!

Edited by casuall002

Set the Recording device--you're going to be recording that MD (sooner rather than later I hope). It's fine to leave Audacity playing back through whatever it was using before.

I think you should leave the recording as Microsoft Sound Mapper-Input for the moment and adjust what's going through it to just Wave, as before. Just guessing, but your computer must have a built-in mic, and you don't want to be recording that.

Can't help you with the audio settings in Vista, but if you don't have that Volume Control speaker icon in the taskbar, look through your Sounds or Audio settings via Control Panel and see what you can figure out.

Also, I found this in a forum where someone was complaining about Realtek. Stereo Mix is definitely what you want.

See if you can try the Vista equivalent.

"Go to Sound in the Control Panel's classic view

Select the Recording tab and right-click any of the devices listed.

Check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

Stereo Mix should show up. Set it as default."

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...sound-card.html

Edited by A440

Set the Recording device--you're going to be recording that MD (sooner rather than later I hope). It's fine to leave Audacity playing back through whatever it was using before.

I think you should leave the recording as Microsoft Sound Mapper-Input for the moment and adjust what's going through it to just Wave, as before. Just guessing, but your computer must have a built-in mic, and you don't want to be recording that.

Can't help you with the audio settings in Vista, but if you don't have that Volume Control speaker icon in the taskbar, look through your Sounds or Audio settings via Control Panel and see what you can figure out.

Also, I found this in a forum where someone was complaining about Realtek. Stereo Mix is definitely what you want.

See if you can try the Vista equivalent.

"Go to Sound in the Control Panel's classic view

Select the Recording tab and right-click any of the devices listed.

Check "Show Disabled Devices" and "Show Disconnected Devices".

Stereo Mix should show up. Set it as default."

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...sound-card.html

Thank you. Finding that in Vista was the solution. I found it under Control Panel>Sound>Recording and then right click to show them all...I would have thought it would have been under the Realtek HD Audio Manager???

While this is good and I can make it work, is there a way to play it and record it with the volume turned down or muted? The way it's working is when the volume is up. If not, audacity just gets a flat line and no playback sound? I'm pretty sure there's a way to record the sound without it blaring out of my computer but I'm guessing you guys would know best.

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Edit/ Preferences/ Audio I/O and uncheck Software Playthrough.

On the right-middle of Audacity, past Help, are a speaker (playback volume) slider and a mic (input level) slider. Try raising the input and lowering the playback, maybe even lowering playback to zero.

If that doesn't work, why not just plug something into the headphone jack--a connector cord if you have one, or headphones?

Silence is golden.

Edited by A440