Help!

Rate this topic

Hi everyone"

Sorry if this isn't the spot to post questions. I didn't see another spot for my question.

I've inherited a Sony MZ-NF810 recorder but can't seem to make it work properly. I think it is recording but it doesn't seem to play back. I don't have the original earphones with the remote and instead I'm using a regular pair of ear buds from the Dollar Store. Do I need the original earphones?

Any help you could suggest would be great. I also need help setting or confirming the settings and basically "making it go".

Thanks!

Mike

Hello, It looks like the problem is in the recording process, not on the headphones...any headphones or mini jack conector will do.

Are you recording analogue? or using sonicstage?

Hi Juan:

Thanks for the speedy reply.... I'm not sure if it is set to analogue or sonicstage. How do I check that?

Well analogue means you are recording in real time from your stereo, cd player, cassette player, PC etc...via line-out to line-in. thats analogue.

Sonic Stage is the computer program you use to transfer your music from your PC to your Minidisc.

wich one are you using? if its analogue you should check the minidisc's recording levels, or make sure you connected the right cables to the right ends :P

you might want to check the minidisc's internal recording lebels, go to the menu and look around for recording options, check those lebels. or maybe try and play another disc. this is not relevant if the machine was given to you with problems already of course.

what minidisc are you using, only the 60, 74, and 80 minute will work. Do you get an error message? try downloading sonicstage from here, and see if you can download a CD or some mp3's. they are pretty straight forward, so you should be able to guess your way through it.

Bob

I wonder if there is a way to restore the original factory settings...

Hi Bob! I'm using a 74 minute disk. I have a MacBook ( so I won't be using the Sony software) and I want to do field recordings with the MZ-NF810 recorder. But it doesn't seem to record. The input display bar indicates sound is being recorded but I don't hear anything in the headphones.

However, it does track mark, etc. But if I shut the machine off and start it back up then it reads as a blank disc.

I've looked at the mic sensitivity and set it at high. I believe the recording mode was SP. The display also reads GP1, which I assume is group 1. I'd love to get rid of that also.

Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any help you could provide. I have acquired the recorder second hand and I suspect it needs to be set to the original factory settings. I also do not have the remote with the headphones.

If you plug in a microphone and a pair of headphones and start recording, you should hear what you are recording as the record process is underway. Increasing the volume should make it sound louder, too.

If not, then, for whatever reason, the microphone isn't working. Try the same from line in.

If this works the way it should, now you should be able to press STOP, and then play back what you have recorded. Absent any error messages, you probably did.

If you plug in a microphone and a pair of headphones and start recording, you should hear what you are recording as the record process is underway. Increasing the volume should make it sound louder, too.

If not, then, for whatever reason, the microphone isn't working. Try the same from line in.

If this works the way it should, now you should be able to press STOP, and then play back what you have recorded. Absent any error messages, you probably did.

Hi everyone:

I tried recording from my laptop, using the line in plug. I can hear the music recording through headphones plugged into the recorder and the display bar moves accordingly.

But I can't get it to playback. When I push play, I don't hear anything through the headphones. And if I leave the recorder for a few seconds (and it goes to sleep) then when I return the display reads "blank disc".

Anybody have any suggestions? I've used MD recorders before but I inherited this one second hand and it has me stumped.

Dead overwrite head. Nothing you can do (except use as a player only device). Cost of part (if available) exceeds by an order of magnitude the value of the device.

Sorry.

(added) I recall some folks mentioning that the connections to the head get broken frequently on this particular model and there is an outside possibility of reconnecting them using solder. Perhaps someone who has done this can explain.....

Dead overwrite head. Nothing you can do (except use as a player only device). Cost of part (if available) exceeds by an order of magnitude the value of the device.

Sorry.

(added) I recall some folks mentioning that the connections to the head get broken frequently on this particular model and there is an outside possibility of reconnecting them using solder. Perhaps someone who has done this can explain.....

Damn! Thanks sfbp! Could it be another issue?