Set Manual AGC Too High For My Recording - Any Way To Fix This?

Rate this topic

M-1000

To make this short and to the point, I went to see Lamb of God lastnight. I've recorded handfuls of concerts but I have never been able to get it right. I've sat at the opposite end of the arena a the top of the balcony rows, i've been right in front of the L or R stack, i've been in the middle of the floor, 17th row to the front side of the stage. Basically i've recorded from any possible seating arrangement. My recordings always come out with distortion. I've had many shows to play with the Manual AGC, anywhere from 15 to 30. But I still havn't figured out where to set the AGC depending on when i'm seated/standing.

And equipment is Core Sound CSB's > Battery Box > Line-In Sony MZ-NHF800

I've always found that my recordings come out muffled, lots of bass, and the vocals are very 'off in the distance'. For this show I set the AGC 30/30 (obviously my own mistake). I was still playing around with 20-30, and I think 30 really bit me in the ass this time. I was standing directly in front of the LH sub stack with the main stack hanging above me. But I had a prefect clear view of the stage so my mics should have been able to pick up the sounds off the the drum set and amps on the stage. But vocals would have to have been reverbed back to me.

My real question is is there any way to fix this recording with any editor? The link below is about a 3 minute clip, starting at the intro. The beginning is the intro and it sounds alright, just distorted as always when the dB go quite high. But then the bass drum kicks and it all goes to shit, then they start playing and it becomes a junk recording all together :(.

Intro.mp3

Is there any way I can edit this recording to enjoy an awesome concert again or should I just abandon it and wait for next time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't use AGC. Use Manual. 20/30 is a good place to start. But metal, like Lamb of God, is always a challenge. It may overload your mics, and there's no way to fix that. The battery box is supposed to give you more headroom for mics, and maybe it does, but that's your only hope for next time. As greenmachine says, you can't undo disortion. I wish someone would write a program for that.