Sony Lifetime Warranty - Minidisc MD format media

Rate this topic

netmduser

I just bought some new Sony 80 min. minidiscs media, (I may upload a pictorial if there's any interest), attached was a Sony Lifetime Warranty card, just wondering if anyone has ever made a claim for a defective disc under this program, remember it is LIFETIME. The warranty sounds great...

Anyone?

Edited by netmduser

I just bought some new Sony 80 min. minidiscs media, (I may upload a pictorial if there's any interest), attached was a Sony Lifetime Warranty card, just wondering if anyone has ever made a claim for a defective disc under this program, remember it is LIFETIME. The warranty sounds great...

Anyone?

It may be the lifetime of the disc, not your lifetime, so when the disc fails, warranty is up! Find one that you can fault the case or something, and see what they do

Take care Bob

SONY LIFETIME WARRANTY

If this product should prove defective in workmanship or material, the same will be replaced by either the Seller or Sony Electronics, Inc. or Sony of Canada, Ltd. SUCH REPLACEMENT SHALL BE THE SOLE REMEDY OF THE CONSUMER AND THERE SHALL BE NO LIABILITY ON THE PART OF THE MANUFACTURER, DISTRIBUTOR OR SELLER FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE, DIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THIS PRODUCT. Some states of the United States do not allow the exclusion of incidental or consequential damages, so the above exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state in the United States, Puerto Rico or from province to province in Canada. In the United States, contact: Sony Electronics, Inc. 680 Kinderkamack Road, Gradell, New Jersey 07649. In Canada, contact SONY OF CANADA LTD., 115 GORDON BAKER ROAD, Toronto, Ontario M2H 3R6.

Whew. That was very difficult to transcribe. Another couple years and I would've needed a telescope.

It sure looks like it's not limited to the "lifetime" of the disc. :) That would be very silly indeed. I suppose it doesn't get too specific about what constitutes a "defect". The interpretation I suppose, as it says, varies from state to state.

Interestingly, though, I found this current document on Sony's site--which claims to include "minidisc" in its scope:

Audio & Video Media Warranty

That document appears to limit it to 2 years from time of "original retail purchase" (i.e. not transferable). But what about the included warranty on older stock? I wonder what takes precedence. It also specifies that a dated purchase receipt is required.

From what I've heard about MD media reliability we shouldn't have much to worry about anyway.

My understanding is that if you buy a brand new MD, open it up and try to use it but does not work, then you're covered under warranty. The same if you buy a brand new MD, don't use it for 1 year or so, and then it ends up not working, you're probably covered as well.

to go to court, to have a judge decide on this. For a washing machine costing a considerable sum, this would make sense, but for a faulty MD disc I can't imagine anyone going to court.

This is what I concluded as well--but I was still curious what the legalities were in this specific case.

I read the lifetime warranty on the discs as: These discs will be free forever from any defect that is NOT a result of normal wear and tear. If there is then you can claim under the warranty. Exactly what Sony will give you is another matter!

That's what their data media warranty states, but the warranty statement included with the minidiscs makes no such stipulation.

Anyone?

The warranty looks good, whatever it actually means, but in truth I am not sure I have ever had a problem with a blank Sony MD, and I have many of them. In fact, the MD media in general have reliable. I think I have had maybe one or two problems out of hundreds of discs. (Sony, Hi-Space, Memorex, Maxell, JVC, TDK, Princo, probably others.) This is a much better result than I have had with CD-R or CD-R/W - you never know when you might get a bad one. How about Hi-MD - are those equally reliable? (Just curious.)

How about Hi-MD - are those equally reliable? (Just curious.)

I think there's a paper published on MD reliability somewhere on this site--I don't know about HiMD. I just happen to have a couple unwrapped HiMD discs, so I opened one to look at what its warranty says. It gets more specific and says "for its normal life". One interesting thing that dawned on me is that the warranty is printed on the label backings. I'm definitely not a lawyer ("Not that there's anything wrong with that."--Seinfeld), but this suggests to me that if they really wanted to be d-bags about the whole thing they could claim that the warranty only covers the label. Although I suppose that one could argue that it is reasonable to assume that the words "This Product" refers to the product mentioned higher up on the label backing, namely the disc.