Hi,

After a few years of a trouble free software. Sonicstage 4.3

will not co-operate. Having just re-formatted and re-installed

XP Pro SP 3 and all the other extras M.$ seems to think i need

inc Media Player 11 I now receive an S.S error message being:

00004e22

I have trawled the net and carried out many fixes including all

of the one's stated on this forum to no avail. Can anyone

assist an old man to hopefully resolve this irritating problem?

Here's hoping

P.s. attached my dxdiag if required

DxDiag.txt

This sounds like Windows Media Format runtime libraries, which are required for SonicStage, are missing.

You may download and install them separately.

Version 9.0: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP/download/installer/wmf.zip

Version 9.5: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP/download/installer/wmf95.zip

This sounds like Windows Media Format runtime libraries, which are required for SonicStage, are missing.

You may download and install them separately.

Version 9.0: http://sonicstage.up...staller/wmf.zip

Version 9.5: http://sonicstage.up...aller/wmf95.zip

To Avrin.

Thank you for a quick response, but unfortunately after following

your 'fix' the problem still remains.

Please keep the ideas coming-Thanks

I recall suffering this. The problem arose from a series of silly things I did, culminating in a System Restore I did (Windows). That generated the mess you are in, IIRC.

There are two components to what is wrong:

1. The keys to your installation need to be revalidated

2. The revalidation server is usually (but not always) offline these days. Very strange!

It may be that you have lost all .oma files that were not decrypted. Sadly very few outside this community here realise the key fact, that you must decrypt all your files regularly. If there is any way to roll back SP3, that would be the first step. Then you should (hopefully SS will now work) do the decryption (Sony refers to it as "file copy protection"), and then get rid of SonicStage whilst saving its database. Reinstalling it should now give you what you want.

However any files you got from Connect, which have REAL drm that you can't get rid of, would have to be somehow exported (I think they can be turned to MP3 or WAV but I am not sure as I have never had any) first.

I strongly suggest you wait and see if anyone can elaborate on this; in particular Avrin is quite knowledgeable about the details of this stuff.

Welcome to MDCF!

Stephen

To me it still looks like SonicStage is unable to find some pre-requisite components. Besides WMF runtime, these include:

Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP/download/installer/mdac.zip

DirectX 9.0c. This one has since been updated several times by Microsoft, so it is better to download the newest available version:

Web-installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

Full installer: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=04ac064b-00d1-474e-b7b1-442d8712d553

And make sure that you have the latest driver for your sound card. The log above shows that you have a good-old Realtek AC'97, so you may download the latest driver here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Edited by Avrin

To me it still looks like SonicStage is unable to find some pre-requisite components. Besides WMF runtime, these include:

Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5: http://sonicstage.up...taller/mdac.zip

DirectX 9.0c. This one has since been updated several times by Microsoft, so it is better to download the newest available version:

Web-installer: http://www.microsoft...6a-9b6652cd92a3

Full installer: http://www.microsoft...b1-442d8712d553

And make sure that you have the latest driver for your sound card. The log above shows that you have a good-old Realtek AC'97, so you may download the latest driver here: http://www.realtek.c...3&GetDown=false

To Avrin.

Again thank you for your expert help, but the problem still persists.

I have installed all the above files except for Microsoft Data Access Components 2.5

as Windows reports the file already exists and re-installed S.S

but the dreaded S.S error code still remains 00004e22

Any further help or advice would be gratefully appreciated and thank you

both for the time you have spent to help resolve this problem.

P.s I do feel also that Avrin is certainly on the right tracks. i.e.

S.S unable to load properly because of missing pre-requisite components!

Most versions of OpenMG Secure Module include a tool for checking the installation environment (version 5.0 included with SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" certainly does). The tool is located in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\InstallChecker" folder, and is called InstallCheckTool.exe. Check whether you have this tool, and if you do - run it, wait for it to finish (this may take a minute or so), and then go to your Windows Desktop and check the newly created OpenMG_Install_Status_log folder there. This folder should contain several files, post OmgInfo.csv here. You may also check the file yourself, to see what's missing.

Edited by Avrin

Most versions of OpenMG Secure Module include a tool for checking the installation environment (version 5.0 included with SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate" certainly does). The tool is located in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\OpenMG\InstallChecker" folder, and is called InstallCheckTool.exe. Check whether you have this tool, and if you do - run it, wait for it to finish (this may take a minute or so), and then go to your Windows Desktop and check the newly created OpenMG_Install_Status_log folder there. This folder should contain several files, post OmgInfo.csv here. You may also check the file yourself, to see what's missing.

To Avrin.

Have created a logfile (OmgInfo.csv) as instructed,

had a look inside and it does not look good.

Please see attached and hope it helps.

OmgInfo.txt

Just checked both files and found nothing unusual. ASPI components and legacy SONY drivers are missing, but this is perfectly normal on a modern system.

But your system also contains some Windows Media Format 11 components. So you should make sure that those are completely and correctly installed. Their distribution package is not available separately, but you may download the distribution package for Windows Media Player 11 (without installing it), and use WinRar to extract the wmfdist11.exe file from it. Then run this file to install WMF11 components separately.

It also looks like you are using an official version of SonicStage 4.3, with the horrible patched OpenMG 4.7, which is known to create problems out of thin air. I advise you to update to the "Ultimate" 4.3 version, available from the Software Updates section of these forums.

Edited by Avrin

Just at a slight tangent:

Take a look at the keys in the following registry file (it should be called connect.reg, not connect.reg.txt but that's the joy of uploading).

connect.reg.txt

Now look with REGEDIT in your own system and see if this key HomeUrl exists.

You could save it (export) from your system first. Then I might try deleting it from your registry. The whole key, ie the folder-thingy you can see in Regedit.

I think there's some silly problem where SoS invokes some IE component (.DLL) to access the Connect Store. I got in the same mess when I tried to mess with the URL field in that last key.

AFAIK SoS can do quite fine without any of this. Alternatively you could try pointing the URL somewhere else, but I have no idea what the other fields do.

Hope this helps!

Stephen

Well, to all you fine people who have spent your free time

and applied your expert knowledge in trying to resolve

my problem with S.S, I owe you an apology.

I have carried out every instruction you have

suggested to the letter and again I still end

up back at square one, so not to be deterred

I decided to un-install my firewall -

Online Armour Free Edition v 3.5.0.49

and guess what Sonicstage fired straight up.

This piece of security software not only serves

as an intruder deterrent but oversees all non M$ software installs

and something it was doing was deliberately preventing

S.S from loading up correctly. So I feel that I may have

unintentionally sent you on a wild goose chase.

All is now well, so I would like to extend my gratitude

and appreciation to all who have posted help & advise,

especially Avrin who has toiled over this alleged software

conundrum in vain.

Again my thanks and please keep up this splendid

work you do.

Well, I should have expected something of the kind. Modern firewalls take over the system, and not only control Internet access, but check a lot of system and application components, and so may prevent correct interaction between them. I once encountered a situation when simply having Outpost Pro 4.0 on the system prevented the CDRDAO engine (used by EAC for CD burning) from working. Even if everything was permitted to EAC and CDRDAO in firewall settings, the engine just crashed (even though it has nothing to do with Internet, and never tries to access it). Rolling back to Outpost Pro 3.51 solved the problem.

Still, I recommend updating to SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate", because of its really stable OpenMG 5.0. This may prevent a lot of other possible problems from appearing.

Well, I should have expected something of the kind. Modern firewalls take over the system, and not only control Internet access, but check a lot of system and application components, and so may prevent correct interaction between them. I once encountered a situation when simply having Outpost Pro 4.0 on the system prevented the CDRDAO engine (used by EAC for CD burning) from working. Even if everything was permitted to EAC and CDRDAO in firewall settings, the engine just crashed (even though it has nothing to do with Internet, and never tries to access it). Rolling back to Outpost Pro 3.51 solved the problem.

Still, I recommend updating to SonicStage 4.3 "Ultimate", because of its really stable OpenMG 5.0. This may prevent a lot of other possible problems from appearing.

To Avrin.

Already done and thank you again i-m_so_happy.gif

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I've got the same problem as Newbie had, but I guess that it;s because after sonicstage's discountinuing I've tried to transfer the whole folder 'Sony' and 'Sony support' to my ew computer.

I'm asking for help, with error or finding new programme that would work for my NW-A805 (I know it's like the oldest device in the world, but I'm really attached to it, it's the best ) as MP3 File Manager doesn't work. it can't find the device.

I haven't tried Vaio Music Transfer thou, as it is said to work only with NW-A700- and NW-E00XF-series players.

Windows xp32bit

please help.