Quality Minidisc Recorders?

Rate this topic

Loque

You'll get 10 opinions from 10 different people, everyone has their favorites. I really love the sound I get recording optical real time to SP on my JA20ES deck and stationary playback at work through the line out of my MZ-R50, feeding my HeadAmp and Grado's, of course. Nearly indistinguishable from the original CD.

You'll get 10 opinions from 10 different people, everyone has their favorites. I really love the sound I get recording optical real time to SP on my JA20ES deck and stationary playback at work through the line out of my MZ-R50, feeding my HeadAmp and Grado's, of course. Nearly indistinguishable from the original CD.

You will have plenty of time to discuss soon about decks sound quality because I intend to help a french friend who want to sell his collection - that is the real word - of MD decks. More than one hundred units !

List and details will arrive soon.

People from SonyInsider MD forum will have the priority because they love MD format. He is not a professionnal, just a particular who love so much MD that he decided to buy decks. Now he miss place and think it is the right time to make others MD fans happy... He miss time to so I am here to help the transaction.

Denon : 8 decks

JVC : 1

Kenwood : 4

Marantz : 1

Onkyo : 11

Pioneer : 2

Sharp : 2

Sony : 50

Teac : 5

Technics : 4

Universum : 1

Yamaha : 7

Personally - I feel any MD Deck - Sony, Denon, etc with optical out is great. I have an MDLP Optical out on my JE780 to the optical in on an iMac. Captures and transfers digital! So any SP or MDLP with Optical I/O and a solid MD portable made of quality is fine which almost all MD portables were made of quality. Even my cheap MDLP player only - the all plastic Sony MZ-NE410 is a serious tough basic workhorse with excellent playback! I own several portables for different uses or situations.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll get 10 opinions from 10 different people, .......... , feeding my HeadAmp and Grado's, of course. Nearly indistinguishable from the original CD.

For those arriving late to MDs, and from experience, what can you distinguish from the original?

e.g. the odd cymbal squeek?, shortened decays?, distorted attacks?

I ask, because I'm rather new to MDs, and those CDs that I have recorded so far (digital on sony 4.0 atrac), I haven't noticed anything yet. Tell me, after a lot of listening of JA's recordings, do you start to notice differences? (I understand that JA's were the best decks, so should get the closest, and your experience will therefore be most welcome.) I may even consider a second-hand JA ...

Thanks!

mdmad.