sonicstage wont recognise minidisc player

Rate this topic

discoinferno70

hi, i've downloaded sonic stage onto a new computer, it runs well enough but now i've connected my MZ-NH600 via USB to transfer some live recordings. on my old machine this worked perfectly but now sonic stage simply isn't recognising the player is connected - it doesn't list it in the transfer drop-down menu. my windows XP sp2 does notice it though, and is going through the 'add new hardware wizard' routine. i've let it go online to look for drivers but this doesn't work and was never necessary with either of my two previous machines. anyone got any suggestions? thanks, A.

My guess is that the Sonic Stage you installed doesnt include the drivers for the portables. I have also found this for some SonicStages versions I have downloaded. Or use the cd that came with the NH600. Dont use it to install Sonic Stage. Use Explorer to find the /Device/Driver/pa/ folder. There is an SETUP program for the drivers for your portable there I think. Or let XP find the drivers in /Device/Driver/pa/winXP If this doesnt work then maybe someone else here has ideas?

Which mode are you using - Hi-MD or NetMD? The Hi-MD mode doesn't require any drivers, and the unit is detected as a USB Mass Storage drive. The NetMD mode does require drivers, and will work with a 32-bit operating system only (there are no drivers for 64-bit systems). You may download the latest available 32-bit drivers here: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP/download/installer/pa_driver.zip

Which mode are you using - Hi-MD or NetMD? The Hi-MD mode doesn't require any drivers, and the unit is detected as a USB Mass Storage drive. The NetMD mode does require drivers, and will work with a 32-bit operating system only (there are no drivers for 64-bit systems). You may download the latest available 32-bit drivers here: http://sonicstage.update.sony.net/v4400/JP/download/installer/pa_driver.zip

thanks for getting back (is this the right way to reply, i wonder... )

yes, i am in HI-MD, previously there was never a problem but this time windows recognises 'new hardware' but NOT as USB mass storage. do you think it worthwhile going to http://sonicstage.update.sony.net ?

A.

The http://sonicstage.update.sony.net site is just a storage server, and you can't use it directly if you don't know exact links. The latest English SonicStage (4.3 "Ultimate") may be downloaded from the Software Updates section of these forums.

But it is strange that the unit is not detected as usual. This probably has to do with the PC configuration. The USB port may be connected to the chipset via something like a USB hub, and this may prevent the unit from being detected correctly. Try a different USB port.

Wait a second. The disc mode determines whether NetMD or HiMD is presented when the machine has no disk in it. The disk inserted determines what mode (if a disk IS inserted). So if any of the above answers (or a blank disk) is NetMD, then your setup will not work. Previously it would be ok either way and switch modes when you told it to..... but now you need to set yourself to force HiMD, unless you can install NetMD drivers. Some version of Windows (64-bit Vista and Windows 7) are never going to have drivers for NetMD.

Start from first principles and I wonder if you may find there's nothing actually wrong here.

Avrin, I sent you a whole long screed about laser power but it seems you must have notification off and didn't realise (that I had). Sorry for putting it here but I can't find any other way.

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...