Mono recordings

Rate this topic

Soundbox

Do you use mono setting on your MD recorder?

I find myself using it more and more - and not just for speech. I make up music compilations for dining at home, entertaining and background music and I find that having the same sound from both speakers makes for a good soundstage for when you are not listening directly to the music, but enjoying it as a background sound. Having the extra recording time available is always nice too.

It was only when I joined in here that I found out that my recorder has a known problem with mono, but even with that problem I still have a set of disks (some transcribed to CD) that make for good and easy listening.

So, tell me about where you use mono, and also if you have any hints/tips (they are always good to share). What machines make the best mono recordings?

Ian

I used my RH10 (hacked) to record Phil Spector's "Back To Mono" 4-CD set and The Beatles Mono Remasters from CDs to MDs in MONO via optical. The results sound quite nice, despite the original CDs not being in true mono (there are slight level differences between channels).

Avrin, I too use mono for such recordings (my recordings being old 78's and 50's vinyl records. To use stereo makes the sound horrible as record noise is much higher in stereo.

Why did you hack your RH10? The NH600 supports mono in one of the settings I feel sure.

Ian

I always do.

1. I record/play 5h24mn chaining two MD's on the MDS-W1.

2. I concentrate on the sound (without spatial distractions).

3. I move/rest anywhere (without loosing half of the sound).

4. Two loud-speakers distribute the sound in two rooms.

5. My wife loves mono, and I love my wife :-D

I find myself using it more and more - and not just for speech. I make up music compilations for dining at home, entertaining and background music and I find that having the same sound from both speakers makes for a good soundstage for when you are not listening directly to the music, but enjoying it as a background sound. Having the extra recording time available is always nice too.

It was only when I joined in here that I found out that my recorder has a known problem with mono, but even with that problem I still have a set of disks (some transcribed to CD) that make for good and easy listening.

So, tell me about where you use mono, and also if you have any hints/tips (they are always good to share). What machines make the best mono recordings?

Ian

I use mono quite a bit, almost always for transferring audiobooks from CD/CS to MD. Quality seems about the same in this context no matter what MD unit - most often a deck - I use. For this purpose, mono is perfect for me. It's not really necessary to have stereo for book-reading, and it also means I can share the recordings with my wife. We both listen to "MD audiobooks" in our cars, but where I have MDLP available, she does not. So mono is a good solution. I am currently listening to "Corelli's Mandolin" (Louis de Bernières).

I used my RH10 (hacked) to record Phil Spector's "Back To Mono" 4-CD set and The Beatles Mono Remasters from CDs to MDs in MONO via optical. The results sound quite nice, despite the original CDs not being in true mono (there are slight level differences between channels).

Avrin, that is a great idea - putting Back To Mono on MD in mono mode. It's a great box set. Think I will give that a try. Might or might not make for a better-sounding MD, but it definitely means I can put more on one MD without having to go to LP. And it also has made me aware to look out for other mono sources that can go on to MD that way, instead of using Stereo as a default.

Hi Avrin,did someone mention The Beatles ,brilliant and thats a good idea i always thought the Beatles sounded better in mono,and i am quite sure George Martin did when he recorded them ,so i must have ago,i still think the older 60,s recordings were loads better ,infact when i listen to my mz-n505 i am sure its captured what was so good about older recordings ,or is it my imagination ,Brian scratch_one-s_head.gif

I always do.

1. I record/play 5h24mn chaining two MD's on the MDS-W1.

The MDS-W1 will record sequentially from MD1 to MD2? If so, does it stop somewhere on MD1 or does it just go to the end of the disc?

I tried several times to get one of these units, with no luck. You never know, though, all it would take would be one ebay listing at the same time I'd have some cash to spend!

The MDS-W1 will record sequentially from MD1 to MD2? If so, does it stop somewhere on MD1 or does it just go to the end of the disc?

I tried several times to get one of these units, with no luck. You never know, though, all it would take would be one ebay listing at the same time I'd have some cash to spend!

There is one for sale now - item 220568659738 on eBay. Go-on, you know know you want toyes.gif !

There is a setup option that let you choose bewtween sequential or overlap recording. In overlap mode, the deck records simultaneously the last 10mn on disc1 and the first 10mn on disc2 (actually duplicating those 10mn on two discs). Overlap recording is pretty useless though. If the split occurs at the wrong time, it very easy to move the last track of disc1 and the first track of disc2 onto the same disc, and to combine them. There is no limit to the amount of lossless editing you can do.

It was only when I joined in here that I found out that my recorder has a known problem with mono

Some rare CD tracks cannot be recorded in mono without dramatic sound drop (when right and left tracks have been recorded with opposite phases, I guess). One such exemple is the recording of Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech as President of the Republic of South Africa. I had no choice but to keep a stereo copy of this mono recording !

Nelson Mandela's inauguration speech

Extracts:

We are both humbled and elevated by the honor and privilege that you, the people of South Africa, have bestowed on us, as the first President of a united, democratic, non-racial, and non-sexist South Africa -- to lead our country out of the valley of darkness.

[...]

Let each know that for each -- the body, the mind and the soul -- have been freed to fulfill themselves. Never, never, and never again shall it be that this beautiful land will again experience the oppression of one by another.

Sadly this one has been there for over a year. Not sure why.....

I think something about it isn't right. There are the scratches, for one thing. And some time ago, I think it was marked as "Sold" and then reappeared for sale. I just don't have a good feeling about it or I would have quite possibly bought it. I am well aware that I "want to," but in this case that is not enough. If it's meant to be that I should own the MDS-W1, then the right one will show up. Hey, it worked for the JA333ES!

Hi Avrin,did someone mention The Beatles ,brilliant and thats a good idea i always thought the Beatles sounded better in mono,and i am quite sure George Martin did when he recorded them ,so i must have ago,i still think the older 60,s recordings were loads better ,infact when i listen to my mz-n505 i am sure its captured what was so good about older recordings ,or is it my imagination ,Brian scratch_one-s_head.gif

For The Beatles, mono versions were the primary products. That is, after recording studio multitracks, they participated in the production of mono versions only. Stereo versions were created and released later, without participation of the band, and sometimes even without George Martin. Mono versions of some tracks are really different from the stereo ones. Some have different speeds/instrumentation/lengths. It is quite well known that "Sgt. Pepper" really shines in mono.

The only three albums that were originally released by the band in stereo are "Yellow Submarine", "Abbey Road", and "Let It Be". They don't have mono versions.

The Mono Remasters released on 09/09/09 are quite good, and do not suffer from compression and other Loudness Wars problems at all (except for the Mono Masters double CD that has very slight compression on some of its tracks).