Sony MXD-D400

Rate this topic

adept777

Hey guys!!!

First of thanks to each and everyone who is keeping this forum alive!! I am a huge Mini-disc addict!! I've been using it to play and record all my music including my own work for the last 15 years. And I must say I am still blown away with its quality!!

Anyway, I am desperately looking to buy a combo deck. CD and MD. It would be nice to have one player to be hooked up to my Home Theater System instead of two... lol Please help me find one. I have been searching for one for the last two weeks.

Also, what do you guys thinks of this 2507944142116464_1.jpg JVC XU-301 ? Is this a good player to buy. I wont be using this as the primary player I have two other dedicated MD player/recorders. BTW, I want the combo player to have digital out and in (optical) So any help would be great. Thank you!!!!

Try searching

(mxd-d4,mxd-d40,mxd-d5c)

in ebay

there's at least 3 there right now

well they are not the MXD-D40. The biggest difference for me is I want a combo player with Optical out. And all the three models does not have optical out. But thanks for your suggestion :)

Yep, D4 and D40 are both missing the optical out according to the MD browser. I was on a similar quest a few months ago and I found a really nice MXD-D400 on eBay for around $225 USD. The unit was in nearly new condition with all original packaging and accessories (remote, manual, cabling, etc) It really is a great combo deck, I love it and use it fairly regularly.

Just keep searching on eBay every day, you'll score one eventually. For me it only took about 10 days for the unit I bought to appear. I had to pop on it right away however as I did not want someone else to grab it. I was fortunate that the unit had a buy it now option.

Good luck in your search!

well they are not the MXD-D40. The biggest difference for me is I want a combo player with Optical out. And all the three models does not have optical out. But thanks for your suggestion :)

You might want to check that you really get optical out from MD (I agree it looks promising). Sony and its licensee Onkyo went out of their way on a number of models to make sure you could only get opti-out when playing the CD.

Meantime, I am myself researching ways to add optical out to MD units (it's been done for the MDS-JE480, but I am going to try it for my DHC-MD595 aka CMT-PX3, for example). This might well give you what you want on a D40. Unlike the D400, the D40 does support editing from the PC with PCLink. Both of them have LP2 (and of course LP4 which you probably don't care about) whereas the JVC unit predates the introduction of MDLP.

Stephen

You might want to check that you really get optical out from MD (I agree it looks promising). Sony and its licensee Onkyo went out of their way on a number of models to make sure you could only get opti-out when playing the CD.

Meantime, I am myself researching ways to add optical out to MD units (it's been done for the MDS-JE480, but I am going to try it for my DHC-MD595 aka CMT-PX3, for example). This might well give you what you want on a D40. Unlike the D400, the D40 does support editing from the PC with PCLink. Both of them have LP2 (and of course LP4 which you probably don't care about) whereas the JVC unit predates the introduction of MDLP.

Stephen

I can verify that the MXD-D400's optical out includes the MD side of things, albeit with the usual SCMS restrictions. Maybe the Sony/Onkyo units referred to are bookshelf ones? There aren't many CD>MD decks to begin with, and fewer still with opt-out. Azureal is on the right track here - the MXD-D400 does appear more often on Ebay than it once did, and usually at a reasonable price. If money is no object, you can get the MXD-D400 brand-new from Japan - at least last time I looked they were still available - but forget about the "reasonable price" part in that case.

I spotted a 'D400 on the local Craigslist a while back and went to check it out. The price was right - in the mid-200s USD if I recall - but the unit was not pretty and it obviously had been subjected to large quantities of cigarette smoke. I believe that to be detrimental to the machine. Two "smoky" decks I got gave me problems. Now I try to remember to ask about that. I wonder if the "tar" from the cigs gets in there in mucks things up a bit.

Thank you all sooo much guys!!! I bought the Sony MXD-D400 from a German seller for a good price.. I think. I can't wait to get it :)

I can verify that the MXD-D400's optical out includes the MD side of things, albeit with the usual SCMS restrictions. Maybe the Sony/Onkyo units referred to are bookshelf ones? There aren't many CD>MD decks to begin with, and fewer still with opt-out. Azureal is on the right track here - the MXD-D400 does appear more often on Ebay than it once did, and usually at a reasonable price. If money is no object, you can get the MXD-D400 brand-new from Japan - at least last time I looked they were still available - but forget about the "reasonable price" part in that case.

I spotted a 'D400 on the local Craigslist a while back and went to check it out. The price was right - in the mid-200s USD if I recall - but the unit was not pretty and it obviously had been subjected to large quantities of cigarette smoke. I believe that to be detrimental to the machine. Two "smoky" decks I got gave me problems. Now I try to remember to ask about that. I wonder if the "tar" from the cigs gets in there in mucks things up a bit.

Well done. I never meant to imply the D400 does not do optical out from MD. I was concerned about your JVC model. I think you have a very nice deck. I wish they hadn't had to take so many features out (from the front panel). Be absolutely certain he is sending the remote with it (it's an RM-D54M) or you may be in trouble because the remote still has all the things you need (except a proper way of using keyboard).

The nicest feature of all IMO is that a CD-Text CD will copy all the track names to MD. However there are very few CD's that come with CD-Text (manufacturer laziness or paranoia, there's talk in the manual of them PROTECTING the CD-Text info on some disks, how silly can you get?) and one has to resort to making a CD-R copy of the CD with CD-Text added from one of the online databases, so that it is there to copy to MD. Confused me for a while, I can say.

Stephen

The nicest feature of all IMO is that a CD-Text CD will copy all the track names to MD. However there are very few CD's that come with CD-Text (manufacturer laziness or paranoia, there's talk in the manual of them PROTECTING the CD-Text info on some disks, how silly can you get?)

I have met many such protected track names, that my MDX-D3 will not copy. There is an easy workaround, that requires pressing two buttons per track. After each "Protected Track Name" message:

1. press "Menu" to access the "Name In" menu entry

2. press "Yes" to acknowledge

No need to type in anything: the current track name sits there, ready, in the "Name In" buffer !

• Like 1

I have met many such protected track names, that my MDX-D3 will not copy. There is an easy workaround, that requires pressing two buttons per track. After each "Protected Track Name" message:

1. press "Menu" to access the "Name In" menu entry

2. press "Yes" to acknowledge

No need to type in anything: the current track name sits there, ready, in the "Name In" buffer !

I have no clue if this applies to the D400, though. I have never seen this protected track name message.

On a related point I am trying to figure out how to paste (multiple) track names using MCrew - maybe if my current project fails, I will ask about that in a separate thread, unless anyone reading this happens to know the answer.