broken Sharp MD-MT80H

Rate this topic

Goodday,

My Sharp MD-MT80H is not alive anymore. One day it suddenly refused to work or to give any sign anymore. It started with some vague error on the display, something with Er-MD ?? I don't remember the code. But when it worked for the last time, I had to power on and off many times before I got the machine working. It only worked if I changed a lot of powering on with batteries or the powersupply. But now it doesn't do anything anymore, nothing I hear when I try to power it on.

Does anybody have an idea how I can get my Sharp MD-MT80H get alive again?

I hope you can help, thanks in advance.

tEis

One extra remark I have to make is that back then when it worked, though problematically, it occured as follows. When I tried to put it on and it didn't work, I had to wait approximately 2 minutes, and then again powering it on, it could work. It never worked when I just switched it on/off/on/off with waiting only a few seconds inbetween. Maybe that describes more accurately my problem....?

In my experience early Sharp recorders suffer the same problem in all but a few rare cases. I have come across a faulty optical pickup, and a faulty main board, but every other unit I have had in has the dreaded sled gear problem. The sled lead screw shaft has a small plastic helical gear on the end. This splits, presumably with age and/or use, which allows the gear to rotate freely on the shaft. Hence the sled motor can no longer drive the lead screw, and thus the sled up and down its shaft.

I am confident this is your problem. It is a relatively easy repair, if you can get hold of a replacement part. I buy Sharp units as cheap as I can, and only around one in two or three will still have a working and functional part. So you can get a rough idea how much it may cost you to obtain a working part.

I have tried securing the gear to the shaft with epoxy glue, but it just doesn't work. I am always keeping an eye out for a suitable replacement gear, but with no luck so far.

As you are in the Netherlands you may want to consider sending it to me, although I must say that the repair cost, plus shipping both ways, will probably cost you as much (if not more) than simply buying a replacement recorder off eBay (or from me, of course !!)

Jim

I'm afraid this isn't the problem. When I open up the MD-recorder, and when I'm turning the gearwheel directly attached to the motor the sled just moves on the shaft manually.

Would it be logical that the MD-recorder just doesn't display anything anymore when the motor could not drive the sled anymore?

It is possible that the fault is still the sled gear. I have known the gear to be just starting to crack, whereby turning manually moves the sled ok, but the gear still slips when driven by the motor. As the mechanism has been aligned and values stored meaning a certain number of rotational steps on the motor equate to a certain number of 'tracks' in physical movement, failure to seek correctly is the result. On the other hand, it could genuinely be another problem such as the laser power failing. You are welcome to send it to me, just send me a PM with your email address and I will respond by email.

Jim