SONY MDS-JA20ES MINIDISC RECORDER-

Rate this topic

fourbanks

Ok the JA20ES is not MDLP but it is type R, so it can be compare with the JA50ES and the JA555ES, much cheaper on the market. It is 20bit, not 24bit. So I would compare him also with the best 24bit QS decks.

Ask to macaddict77, he has an ES collection

thanks Philippe

i may try to get one as these models are getting very rare a new one is a long shot tascom quite a few around new most odd you buy something and lose it and then years later you find it then sell it

I have the JA20ES, the JA333ES, and the JB940. Of these, the JA333ES is the best, no question. But the JA20ES is almost as good, and it's a close almost. I have the JA20ES and JB940 in the same system, and I use the 940 only for LP2 playback. All my output connections between the three decks and an amp are analog. I don't use any of them to record, normally. For that I have the MXD-D400, which is a better recorder than player. I'd say if you can find a JA20ES in good shape, go for it. Do be aware that this deck, like many MD decks, can exhibit peculiarities and malfunctions from time to time.

I have the JA20ES, the JA333ES, and the JB940. Of these, the JA333ES is the best, no question. But the JA20ES is almost as good, and it's a close almost. I have the JA20ES and JB940 in the same system, and I use the 940 only for LP2 playback. All my output connections between the three decks and an amp are analog. I don't use any of them to record, normally. For that I have the MXD-D400, which is a better recorder than player. I'd say if you can find a JA20ES in good shape, go for it. Do be aware that this deck, like many MD decks, can exhibit peculiarities and malfunctions from time to time.

thanks blue :)

The JA-20es is not so bad. Good construction. The price is about 170-200€. But not MDLP!

In french (somebody to translate)

En fait la 20es est un premier ticket vers la gamme ES. Le look mais pas la profondeur de construction d'une autre ES. En clair, pour le prix à l'occase, préférer une JB plus récente type R et MDLP. Enfin c'est ce que je pense. À partir de la JA-30es cela devient sérieux.

I try to translate for macaddict77 (faineant :dirol: va) :

The 20ES is for me in fact first price ticket to ES serie. Good looking but not that strong built other ES decks have. So to be clear, for a second hand deck, I prefer a recent JB serie deck type S (je corrige pour toi) and MDLP. It is what I think. For me, from JA30ES ES decks are serious.

PhilIppe.. there's exactly one Type-S deck marked JB. So maybe better to get rid of your correction. As long as you use optical out for playback, I think it's highly likely there's no difference between R and S. The portables have separate direct analog output, but that's a different issue.

(As a side note, the biggest weirdness for MDLP playback seems to me to come when using a PC to play back MDLP, especially LP4, where the sound card has a 48kHz optical output, rather than a 44.1 kHz).

• 7 years later...

Of the ones I have owned, most people would consider the JA333ES the best. It is the only ES model with MDLP.  The 20ES and 22ES are almost the same, with the 22ES being the JPN  version and having a GUI interface for PC (I never used that feature). They all sound great on playback and record very well (Type R). I could never tell much difference between them, although I thought the 333ES played back MDLP remarkably well. All three are tray-loaders. By now, yes, they are pricey...most likely the 20ES being the least so. Consider thoroughly how much you want to spend on MD gear and whether you are able and willing to maintain and repair it. It may benefit you to read this well-known discussion. The "rankings" therein aren't so pinpoint,  but the discussion itself could be helpful:

https://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=11235

This one, too:

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/topic/27442-money-no-object-which-was-the-very-best-full-sized-md-playerrecorder/

Here is what a reputable source had to say about the 3ES. It was just coincidence that I saw this earlier today. It's current.

"The laser in the JA3ES is also used in JA30ES, JA50ES, MDS-B5.
The JA3ES was notoriously unreliable in its laser setup and would only last a reasonable length of time if it was used for playback rather than recording - regrettably, they are best used as laser donors for the higher end machines. I personally have two of those JA3ES in perfect working order, with low recording hours, kept solely as donors for the MDS-B5 - regrettably too, I think that the JA3ES is the lowest common denominator in the series using the same laser (at least in the ranges I've looked at)."