Jump to content

X-appli Hi-MD transfer problem

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

I own a lot of Japanese music and transferring my .wavs to my MZ-RH1 from my Japanese market VAIO used to copy over the Japanese characters so they could be read both in the x-appli menu connected device track list and on the remote of the MZ-RH1 itself.

My Japanese VAIO recently died and I bought an Australian VAIO.

Have X-appli installed on that now and it displays my Japanese .wavs with full track information in Japanese but won't copy over the Japanese track data to my MZ-RH1. It just displays "????" instead both on screen in the connected device track list and on the remote.

Is there any work around for this so I can get full kanji and kana on my Hi-MDs again?

Good to be here btw, got my first MD walkman in '95, went to the darkside in '05 with an ipod, it made me hate music, I threw it into the ocean and went straight back to MD. Haven't looked back!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there and welcome. I actually had a very similar set up to you. I had X-application running on an English Windows 7 Vaio TZ laptop which I used to use to transfer all my music. The laptop ended up with a cracked screen bezel and was sitting around doing nothing for the last couple of years.

In the meantime I had installed a Japanese Windows 7 Virtual Machine and was running this inside VMware on another UK laptop which of course works fine. I have just repaired my old Vaio TZ and will check out how the Japanese characters work on that - I can't recall if I had installed the Japanese language pack on top of the Windows 7 English OS - I'll let you know!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, so I finally got back to the old laptop and effectively confirmed the same issue. That machine is Windows 7 Ultimate and has the Japanese language pack installed. The version of X-appli is the old 2.0 version, but all the UI displays perfectly fine and the tracks in the library on the computer all display the artist and track titles correctly. However when the tracks are transferred to Hi-MD then they are just showing up as ??? in the connected device window and on the remote of the player (RM-MC40ELK connected to an RH1 in this case),

I will upgrade the X-Appli to version 5.0 anyway but suspect the behaviour is the same. It's probable then that it never did work correctly on this machine - damn!


I then downloaded Microsoft AppLocale from http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=13209

You need to right click on the downloaded .msi package and Run as Administrator. After it has installed, run Applocale and get it to run the X-Appli exe from the program files directory as a Japanese non-unicode program.

It should create a shortcut, which if you look at the properties looks something like "C:WindowsAppPatchAppLoc.exe "C:Program FilesSonyx-APPLICATIONx-APPLICATION.exe" "/L0411"

I then ran X-Appli from this shortcut and re-transferred the same track to my RH1 and it worked fine displaying the Kanji correctly in the transfer window and on the remote of the device.

The AppLocale solution was also what I remember we use to used to run the old Sonic Stage "back in the day"...

Let me know how you get on or if you need any help ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Firstly thanks so much for the detailed advice Richard, I'm grateful.

I finally got a chance to try out running x-application in applocale in nihongo. There was no change for me so I tried to actually reinstall x-application running the installer with applocale. That didn't work.

So then I just did a normal fresh install of x-application. For some reason with this install I have japanese characters back on my walkman remote (model MC35ELK). I still have to manually select the artist and album on the x-application window but unlike before it now displays properly on the walkman itself. I have no idea why. I don't understand computers and long for a simpler time when I plugged an optical cable into my discman and MD walkman and manually entered track data!! Might go back to that! but the wonders of gracenote are just too good perhaps?

So problem solved for me. Thanks again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Hi, I'm using Sonicstage 4.3, with Applocale for Japanese, I have everything displaying correctly on Sonicstage, all the japanese characters displaying correctly, but when I transfer the files onto the my MZ-RH1, it doesn't display properly on RM-MC35ELK. Can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Wonder if anyone can help.

My MZ-RH1 is a EU version, got the remote seperately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...