NetMD Wizard: "Error while track transfer. Sorry!"

Rate this topic

Distorted Vision

Is NetMD Wizard the app that started off as CD2NetMD? I've got CD2NetMD installed but haven't used it in a long time. I tend to just use Web MiniDisc Pro.

I don't recall having any issues with CD2NetMD though. I would probably have been using it with an MZ-N910. Not sure if I ever tried it with my MZ-N920.

I could test it with my N920 if that would be of any help?

15 hours ago, BearBoy said:

Is NetMD Wizard the app that started off as CD2NetMD? I've got CD2NetMD installed but haven't used it in a long time. I tend to just use Web MiniDisc Pro.

I don't recall having any issues with CD2NetMD though. I would probably have been using it with an MZ-N910. Not sure if I ever tried it with my MZ-N920.

I could test it with my N920 if that would be of any help?

Yes please. What version of Windows are you using? I'm using Windows 10.

I'm on Windows 10 as well.

Will give it a go this evening and let you know how I get on.

Just out of interest, is there any reason you want to use NetMD Wizard rather than Web MiniDisc Pro? I think one of the benefits of NetMD Wizard when I last looked at it was that it apparently did gapless transfers to SP: 

I've not tested a gapless transfer on Web MiniDisc Pro for a while so not sure if that is now capable of doing them as well.

Okay, so I installed NetMD Wizard v2.1.4 and then ran Zadig to install the drivers for my MZ-N920.

I loaded the CD in the app and it picked up the Artist/Disc Title/Track Titles okay. Mode was set to SP and I selected "Transfer", rather than "DAO Transfer.

It transferred the first 2 tracks across to a blank MD okay but when the MD-Transfer indicator for track 3 reached 100%, the process seemed to stall and I got this error message:

image.png.06ccee7b1b5a6abd4f4167dadf2937b4.png

Only the first two tracks were showing in the MiniDisc window in the app but when I put the MD into one of my decks, however, track 3 had transferred across okay but no sign of track 4 (it was a 4 track CD single).

I erased the disc and then tried again with CD2NetMD v1.8.1 (an earlier version of NetMD Wizard). This time it all worked without any issues:

image.png.6ca104bef602d7c76359b87f3bc4a444.png

Erased the disc again and re-tried with NetMD Wizard and got the error message again at the same point.

Tried a different CD (a 3 track CD single this time) and it transferred across without any issues:

image.png.d11368cb6d2072476ebca1927ae35218.png

Erased the disc again and tried a 12 track CD album. This time I got the error message when the the transfer of the first track had reached 100% but no tracks were showing in the MD window. When I tried to re-load the MD window in the app, I got this error message:

image.png.26d40e77ed1fab64110ec7f517b09d13.png

I disconnected and re-connected my MZ-N920 and then the first track did show in the MD window (and played without issues in my deck).

I'll do the same tests with an MZ-N910 and see what happens.

Tried my MZ-N910 with NetMD Wizard and experienced the same transfer failures with the 4 track and 12 track CDs (although not at the exact same points in the process).

Tried it with CD2NetMD v1.8.1 and both 4 track and 12 track CDs transferred across without any issues.

Interestingly, I did not have to run Zadig to re-install the drivers when switching back from the MZ-N920 to the MZ-N910 as I had to do when switching the other way.

@Distorted Vision - I wonder whether it's worth trying an earlier version of NetMD Wizard to see if that works okay as CD2NetMD v1.8.1 from February 2022 seems to work fine (the app was renamed to NetMD Wizard from v1.9.2 onwards by the looks of things)?

Thought I'd give it a go with my MZ-N710. Pretty similar results. The 4 track CD actually worked okay but the 12 track one failed after track 2. Tried the 12 track CD in CD2NetMD v1.8.1 and it transferred without issue.

Not sure where the issue might lie but it seems to affect three different models of NetMD devices on my PC and happens with different CDs.

I did need to run Zadig to re-install the drivers to get my PC to talk to the MZ-N710.