MiniDisc Multi-Track Ripper

Rate this topic

BearBoy

Saw this on Reddit this week: https://testing.minidisc.wiki/multitrack_ripper/

@asivery, who took over development of Web MiniDisc Pro from Stefano ( @cybercase ), has created a new app that allows you to transfer multi-track MD recordings made on MD Data discs (using machines like the Yamaha MD4 and MD8) to a PC using a standard NetMD device.

Here's his update:

Hello there! I've made a webapp, which lets you transfer multitrack recordings from MD Data discs that were recorded using the Yamaha MD4/8 devices and alike, with the help of normal, exploitable NetMD machines.

The application is available here

To get it to work, you need to start off with a normal audio MD inserted into the NetMD portable then, when prompted by the app, swap the disc to the MD Data one.

As always, this program is open source - the code is available on my Github page. Please let me know if you find any bugs.

As of right now, no software supports playing back multichannel AEA files - to get files which you can both play and use for archival purposes, I recommend using first the download and convert option, then normal download - that way you will get normal multichannel WAV files, which can be edited in f.ex. Audacity, and bit-perfect multichannel AEA files containing raw ATRAC streams.

Reddit Link

I never had a multi-track MiniDisc recorder, although I did lust after them back in the 90s, but thought it might be of interest to others here. It's great to see all the fantastic development work that's finding new ways to keep the format alive 🙂