Possible to avoid automatic track marks during recording?

Rate this topic

Lotsawa

We want to use 2 MZ-NH700 for digital recordings. The source is analog (mic mixer or cassette player). It's annoying that the recorder inserts track marks whenever the recording level is low, e.g. during a moment of silence in a talk. When I transfer the recorded material to my PC (using SonicStage), all these tracks become small files. But I need one large file.

So is there a possibility to set the recorder in such a way that it won't insert track marks automatically each time the recording level becomes low?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Go into Menu/Options/Menu Mode and set to Advanced.

Put in a disc, press REC(Track) and Pause (ll) at same time. Go into Rec Set and turn Time Mark off. Push stop, continue through Rec Set menu to SYNC, and set Sync Off.

That should put you back in control of tracks.

It seems not. Recording from analog line-in puts marks whenever there are at least 2 secs of silence. Very annoying. Look this thread.

yes this is REALLY annoying

remember for a long time there was lots of complaining about not being able to change recording levels in real time while youre recording, but that IS possible, even though the manual does not make it clear (its kind of cryptic)

anyways i hope this is like the recording level issue and there really is some way to disable this assery

has anyone asked sony tech support about it?

SYNC recording, to my knowledge, only affects recordings made from the optical in [where track marks can be part of subcode in the digital stream].

Time mark recording is not what's doing this.

After uploading the tracks, delete them from the HiMD using SS [back them up with HiMDRenderer or Wave Converter -FIRST-] and you will then have the ability to use SS's split/combine features.

You can then mass-select the tracks you want joined, and tell SS to combine them into one long track.

The 2-second track marker feature is perhaps something that the users should be able to toggle, but alas, at this point in time it simply isn't.

SYNC recording, to my knowledge, only affects recordings made from the optical in [where track marks can be part of subcode in the digital stream].

Time mark recording is not what's doing this.

After uploading the tracks, delete them from the HiMD using SS [back them up with HiMDRenderer or Wave Converter -FIRST-] and you will then have the ability to use SS's split/combine features.

You can then mass-select the tracks you want joined, and tell SS to combine them into one long track.

The 2-second track marker feature is perhaps something that the users should be able to toggle, but alas, at this point in time it simply isn't.

today alone i have done extensive recording with my NH700 and this is what i know

-TrackMark (for the NH700) when set to ON only allows you to set marks in predefined time intervals (i.e. 1min-30min)

-SYNC recording (even through non-optical line in) will cause the player to place a TrackMark in a 2sec of scilence. If the source is optical then the information is also being passed along to the recorder and thus the 2sec scilence rule should not apply, it should already know when to place the track

If you turn TrackMark OFF and SYNC OFF it *should* not auto-place trackmarks for you, at least it doesnt for me

today alone i have done extensive recording with my NH700 and this is what i know

-TrackMark (for the NH700) when set to ON only allows you to set marks in predefined time intervals (i.e. 1min-30min)

-SYNC recording (even through non-optical line in) will cause the player to place a TrackMark in a 2sec of scilence. If the source is optical then the information is also being passed along to the recorder and thus the 2sec scilence rule should not apply, it should already know when to place the track

If you turn TrackMark OFF and SYNC OFF it *should* not auto-place trackmarks for you, at least it doesnt for me

I always have SYNC off, and my NH700 adds track marks during silent passages.

I always have TrackMark and SYNC off on my NH1 (doublechekced it many times), and like dex Otaku I get track marks at silences. That's how things should work, according to the User Guide - but I don't like that. If you don't get track marks, I wonder if you have some background noise or hiss that prevents silence to be detected.

@ dex: where is the split/combine feature in SS? I have SS version 2.3 - not here, but at home however.

• 2 weeks later...

* mad.gif

I am having the same issue. I do recording for our church on to CD, and no one wants to have 300 tracks on a CD... It takes time to combine them all, and worst of all, when there are that many tracks, it takes forever to upload them into sonicstage. Then I have to convert them to wav, etc.... Sound quality is great though...

-Henners

* mad.gif

I am having the same issue. I do recording for our church on to CD, and no one wants to have 300 tracks on a CD... It takes time to combine them all, and worst of all, when there are that many tracks, it takes forever to upload them into sonicstage. Then I have to convert them to wav, etc....  Sound quality is great though...

-Henners

yep, i'm having the exact same problem. when recording analog via LineIn, it places Track Marks during "silent" parts. incredibly annoying, since i'm sure there's some added overhead with regard to file transfer via SonicStage, and that needs all the help it can get. transferring 200+ files, even if they add up to the same size as a single file, will take longer. anyway....

if anyone figured this out, or talks to Sony Tech Support, please post. thanks!!!

yep, i'm having the exact same problem. when recording analog via LineIn, it places Track Marks during "silent" parts. incredibly annoying, since i'm sure there's some added overhead with regard to file transfer via SonicStage, and that needs all the help it can get.  transferring 200+ files, even if they add up to the same size as a single file, will take longer. anyway....

if anyone figured this out, or talks to Sony Tech Support, please post. thanks!!!

It is a pain, but using my NH1, like you, to record in church, what I do once the recording is finished is to start playback from the begininning but immediately pause the disc, use the track finder to find the next track marker, hit the "T-Mark" button and the marker is erased. Then to the next marker, and so on. It is time-consuming because you need to remove each one manually but it does leave you with one track on the MD. I don't think you can manually remove track 1 marker so the recording should be still playable!

I am having the same issue. I do recording for our church on to CD, and no one wants to have 300 tracks on a CD... It takes time to combine them all, and worst of all, when there are that many tracks, it takes forever to upload them into sonicstage. Then I have to convert them to wav, etc....  Sound quality is great though...

Hey T,

I'm in the exact same boat. I get a feed of the soundboard at my church for recording, then convert to mp3 and post to the church website. I've now grown accustomed to deleting all the track marks on the unit, but I'll have to give the SS join track function a try. I didn't know that existed and saw one of the admin make reference to it earlier in this thread.

The upload function I have to say is a lifesaver, though. It was a pain to "play" it back into the computer every week.

For anybody dubbing from a cassette and you run to this problem try a minidisc deck. I use to own a 330 I got rid of it because it did not have type-R, now I only own portables. Recentally I started to try to dub off some of my cassettes I ran into this annoying problem. I was confused at first because I never ran into this problem with my deck, then I remembered that it had a setting for the senstivity of the track marker. I never had a problem with extra tract marks.POE