Mz-nh900 Or Mz-nh1?!

Rate this topic

gingervoodoo

Hey there techie type people! Could you help out a newcomer to the minidisc scene? I recently brought a NH900 in the UK which I promptly sold again because I find the restricted sound output of the european version stoopid! I'm going to buy a minidisc in the states but could anyone tell me if its worth upgrading to the NH1? Is the increase in price mainly due to the case and the remote? Or are the components/sound quality better on the NH1. I'd upgrade if the components were a better build but I won't bother if its just more cosmetic. I listen to my minidisc for general music and I want to start recording local gigs I go to.

Thanks people! biggrin.gif

The NH1 has a few benefits over the NH900. By the way, the UK NH1 is not volume limited.

The remote (Camille mentioned this)

Date-time stamp

Body construction: Magnesium

Battery life of the NH1 equals that of the NH900 with AA attachment.

I like both units, but I'd lean toward the NH900 anyway since it uses readliy available batteries.

Thanks alot people! I thought there wasn't much between them. Now off to get my aunt to pick me up a NH900 in the states to bring over when she visits. Really appreciate the advice. These minidiscs may be great but they're ****** complicated!

Actually.... another thought. If the battery life is better on the NH1 because it has a Li battery instead of a N something type battery could you not just buy a better battery for the NH900?

Edited by gingervoodoo

Yes, in fact many use the NH-14WM battery rather than the supplied (NH-10WM) in the NH900. I do so myself - the higher capacity probably gives me about 30% more time (at a guess). If you can bear to use the external battery pack with a good alkaline battery, you can get fairly decent playback/recording times...

Thanks for that! I don't know what I'd do without this website. Its taught me loads about getting the best out of my minidisc. I'll definately keep the nh-900 over the nz1 and perhaps get a better rechargeable battery.

One more thing!!!

I've ordered a US version for my aunt to bring over from the states. Will I be able to use the charger in the UK with just aplug converter or do I have to buy the world version? With me finding the world version in the US for $389 and me ordering the US nh-900 for $249 I'd prefer the plug converter option!

Thank you so much! wacko.gif

you need not order the world version, though i'm not certain if the charger will take 240V.

even if it doesn't just go into any electronics shop and pick up a generic charger which is compatible with different DC voltages. That's what i did with my n10, haven't had any problems.

you need not order the world version, though i'm not certain if the charger will take 240V.

even if it doesn't just go into any electronics shop and pick up a generic charger which is compatible with different DC voltages. That's what i did with my n10, haven't had any problems.

Thanks ACP. Saves a few pennies! Does anyone else out there know if the US NH900 charger can take 240V? I don't really understand how a 'generic charger' would work? Do you plug it into the cradle or something?

I think he was writing about a charger that plugs into the wall and its only function is to charge the battery. It does not connect to your player,etc. It's simply a charger for the battery. Has nothing to do with the MD player. I have the NH900 and I think I get really good battery life with gumsticks and AA combos when recording live shows. Make sure you ditch the battery that ships with the unit. An utter disgrace for a rechargeable battery. Look for a replacement with at least 1400 mAh.

I think he was writing about a charger that plugs into the wall and its only function is to charge the battery.  It does not connect to your player,etc.  It's simply a charger for the battery.  Has nothing to do with the MD player.  I have the NH900 and I think I get really good battery life with gumsticks and AA combos when recording live shows.  Make sure you ditch the battery that ships with the unit.  An utter disgrace for a rechargeable battery.  Look for a replacement with at least 1400 mAh.

Thanks Mrsoul, I've already ordered a nh-14wn and the 40ELK remote as it was cheaper to do that than buy the world version. Only problem is I've already ordered the US version and now I'm getting twitchy that it wont charge in the UK. Cen anyone out there tell me if the US version will charge in the Uk with 240v? Help! gotta cancel the order and stump up for the world version if not. Anyone out there?

The NH900 itself will charge the battery in it. You'll need a UK power adaptor though, so head to your local Sony store, or any electronics store for that matter and purchase a UK compatible power adaptor and you'll be fine.

Thanks Nismo, appreciate it. Are you guys still looking for donations to the site? If you are give me the pay-pal address. cheers

The NH900 itself will charge the battery in it. You'll need a UK power adaptor though, so head to your local Sony store, or any electronics store for that matter and purchase a UK compatible power adaptor and you'll be fine.

Heres what I was trying to explain!

'Most foreign AC Charger units are 110-240v, including the iPod, iPod mini, 100% of camcorders, most PDA's and more.

If the AC charger unit is 110v only , this is not for you!'

Do I just need to buy a bog standard AC charger plug type unit, or does it actually have to convert the voltage as well... is the USnh900 110V only, or will it take 240v? I know what I mean!

Wait, wait wait. Now this has gone off on a totally different topic of couse, rolleyes.gif but I'm going to Italy in a few months, and I'd really like to be able to charge my MZ-NH1 while I'm there. I have a North American model made for sale/use in Canada. Will the charging stand work with European electricity or would I have to buy an adapter to make the charger work?

Thanks, ginger. Welcome to the forums, btw.

Thank you Kurisu! You'll be sorry I ever signed up when I get into live recording/other stuff apart from basic atrac conversions... head scratching a-plenty! wacko.gif

Sorry to hear about your work rant by the way... (quite funny though!). I got passed up for promotion for years, because although really smart and good at my job my personality made me too much of a (ahem) liability, I think. I realised that i wasn't ever going to get anywhere so I polished up my acting skills and now spend time around my employees pretending to be miss company focused team orientated dedicated employee, and being a relatively subversive boss with my team when the management aren't around. Play the game without sucking too much C.C.! its a fine art, a fine art....

btw, why dont they just provide ALL chargers with the capacity for 100-240v. They're so bloody tight.

The NH1 has some build quality issues; I personally think the NH900 is a much more sturdy, well made unit. It looks like it could withstand a pretty good drop, and I would be pretty afraid for an NH1 if I had one.

... well, if I didn't get out the hammer first. laugh.gif

Sorry guys, I'm really a newbie but I'm looking for a device who can actually allow me to record live music and (possibly) convert it to a decent way (I mean something like 320Kbs....Do I have to rob a bank or there's an easier way to do so? (Consider that it will be for live performances, I spend a lot of monnies in doing them, and I can barely cover expenses...) Thanks for your strong advices folks! biggrin.gif