Sonicstage Does Not Convert Low Bitrates

Rate this topic

sete

I just downloaded a few BBC podcasts. Transferred them all as MP3s to my RH10.

"Cannot play", the unit said.

"Bitrate too low", I immediately thought. "Let's do the good old convert."

To my surprise, or should I say disappointment, SonicStage did not convert the tracks to Atrac. (I did click on Settings and opted for Atrac conversion.)

What is going on? Will I have to get an iPod?

tongue.gif

I just downloaded a few BBC podcasts. Transferred them all as MP3s to my RH10.

"Cannot play", the unit said.

"Bitrate too low", I immediately thought. "Let's do the good old convert."

To my surprise, or should I say disappointment, SonicStage did not convert the tracks to Atrac. (I did click on Settings and opted for Atrac conversion.)

What is going on? Will I have to get an iPod?

tongue.gif

I encountered this problem when I tried a few old time radio shows that were 32 khz MP3 files. SonicStage does not convert lower bitrates to higher bitrates automatically and doesn't seem to be aware of what MP3 files the RH10 can or can't play.

You have two options using SS. You can convert your MP3 files manually using the convert file option. However you must delete the MP3 file from your library and reimport the ATRAC version. Otherwise SS always tries to transfer the original mp3. The other option is to set a disc as NetMD in the RH10. SS knows that NetMD players can't play MP3 files and will automatically convert them to atrac when you transfer them. That's the option I've used more often. It's not as tedious.

TK

You have two options using SS. You can convert your MP3 files manually using the convert file option. However you must delete the MP3 file from your library and reimport the ATRAC version. Otherwise SS always tries to transfer the original mp3. The other option is to set a disc as NetMD in the RH10. SS knows that NetMD players can't play MP3 files and will automatically convert them to atrac when you transfer them. That's the option I've used more often. It's not as tedious.

TK

TK

Great! Thanks for the help.

You have two options using SS.  You can convert your MP3 files manually using the convert file option.  However you must delete the MP3 file from your library and reimport the ATRAC version.  Otherwise SS always tries to transfer the original mp3.

when you go to tools/options/transfer/himd/transfer settings you can set SS to "transfer tracks always in a specified bitrate" or to "transfer as they are if this is a format understood by the player"...

it would seem to me that when you check a specified birate, the MP3's should be converted even when using Hi-MD mode...could be usefull to check this out before you revert to using Net-MD-mode

I would give it a try, but I've got a NH900=1st gen so I can't play MP3's as MP3's and they are always converted...besides, I don't have any MP3's tongue.gif

Volta

when you go to tools/options/transfer/himd/transfer settings you can set SS to "transfer tracks always in a specified bitrate" or to "transfer as they are if this is a format understood by the player"...

it would seem to me that when you check a specified birate, the MP3's should be converted even when using Hi-MD mode...could be usefull to check this out before you revert to using Net-MD-mode

I would give it a try, but I've got a NH900=1st gen so I can't play MP3's as MP3's and they are always converted...besides, I don't have any MP3's tongue.gif

Volta

You would think that specifying the bit rate and mode would work but it doesn't. The lowest atrac bit mode is 48 khz and if the MP3 is lower than that it won't convert automatically. I would think that SonicStage should be upgraded to recognize which MP3 will play on the Hi MD units and to automatically convert to Atrac if they won't. Interestingly, those low bit -rate MP3 files play just fine on Sony's NW HD3.

TK

I listen to a lot of podcasts on my RH10 and have had a bunch of problems with podcast mp3s. I do one of two things to them before I upload; I manually convert them in sonicstage, or I convert them with dBconverter. The manual coversion method works most of the time, and the dBconverter method works every time, but is more hands on.

Almost every mp3 I get from my podcatching client is unable to play on my RH10 without conversion. I have figured out that LAME mp3 encodes work the best however. dBconverter uses a better codec, and I have had trouble with other "free" converters. I think the bitrate has little to do with the 'CANT PLAY' problem. I really think it's what they used to encode with, and how they went about it, i.e.; sample rate, stereo/mono etc. TWIT podcast, and KFI podcast with Leo Laporte both come out fine with no conversion needed, but Leo has stated that he was following a trend of higher quality podcast encodes. It seems to me he's leading that trend. Until everyone else catches up, Sony included, convert them before you upload.

Good luck!

Edited by milomind