Sony Hi-MD Walkman Icons

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my method for setting a drive icon (without the use of an autorun.ini file).

First off, I set my Hi-MD to a specific drive letter, so that it doesn't change if other devices are plugged in prior to the Hi-MD. To do this I went to Start/Run, and typed in "diskmgmt.msc" (without quotes). In the window that shows, right-click on the drive corresponding to your Hi-MD, and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths", and then choose "Change" from the next window. Personally I chose "H" for Hi-MD. Windows may yell at you and tell you this may affect programs/etc... but as long as you don't have programs installed on the Hi-MD disc you should be fine.

The next step involves the registry, so be sure to make a backup of your registry if you are not familiar with editing keys, etc.

Open the registey editor. From Start/Run, type "regedit" (no quotes). Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer". Create a new key in this location called "DriveIcons" (again, no quotes). Then inside this key create another key and title it the Letter you assigned to your Hi-MD in the previous step (e.g. "H" [no quotes]). Now create one more key inside this one labeled "DefaultIcon" (do I have to mention the quotes thing again?). Now in the right-hand pane modify this key and point it to wherever you have stored the icon file you wish to be shown for that drive letter.

Hope this helps some. I got tired of having to put the autorun files back on the Hi-MD after I had formatted them, etc. This saves you the step.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...