Is HiMD still THE recording solution?

Rate this topic

Michael1980

Hi, haven't been here for some time.

Basically, sold most of my NetMD gear, only have the bookshelf and a couple of recorders.

Most of the time, I use the iPod which is fine, but just not the same as a mindisc (you know what I mean).

So, I was thinking about coming back to MD world, especially since it will be nice to record my radio shows again. Is HiMD still the best optical-in solution for recording off digital radio, or has technology come up with something new? Heard the new iPod records nicely, but not sure if that is only for live recording with a mic.

PS. Wow, I have really missed the whole different amazing looking players/disks thing.

Edited by Michael1980

Basically, sold most of my NetMD gear, only have the bookshelf and a couple of recorders.

Most of the time, I use the iPod which is fine, but just not the same as a mindisc (you know what I mean).

So, I was thinking about coming back to MD world, especially since it will be nice to record my radio shows again. Is HiMD still the best optical-in solution for recording off digital radio, or has technology come up with something new? Heard the new iPod records nicely, but not sure if that is only for live recording with a mic.

PS. Wow, I have really missed the whole different amazing looking players/disks thing.

Does the new iPod have digital in? Can it record in 16-bit 44.1 khz stereo without reflashing/hacking? I believe the answer is no to both questions. Apple would be crazy to enable these features out of the box. If I'm wrong it'd be great if someone filled me in.

The flash recorders I've tried do not compete well with the old DAT and the new technology HiMD. So I'm back to HiMD (and my trusty PCM-M1 DAT) for shirt pocket recording... I can fill two 1GB HiMD discs with 3 hrs uncompressed PCM on one battery charge (1400mAh Sony gumstick), so I'm not complaining! :lol:

Yes, it definitely is the most accessible, cheap, versatile and perfect recording solution for anyone that wants the best recordings in the world!!!!!!!!

(Sorry, MD fan)

If you are recording from DAB Radio even using the optical out of the DAB radio to optical in on the minidisc I wouldn't bother with recording in PCM as even HI-SP is of better quality than the transmission rates of typical DAB stations --at least in the UK.

Even BBC R3 which has one of the the "best" or "least compressed" braodcasting signal runs at 192 / 160 bit rates so you don't gain anything by using PCM. At Hi-SP you'll get over 7 hours on a 1GB disk at perfectly good quality indistinguishable from the original broadcast.

Here's the actual bit rates for the BBC --I'm sure other stations will use similar.

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/bbc_bitr...C_DAB_Bit_Rates

Cheers

-K

Man, have you been missing out! Finally almost every wishlist we ever had for MD has been filled: USB, software, uploading, massive memory on a disc. And the pocket harddrives (iPoops) just can't do so many things that MD recorders do (I don't want to have to buy $$$ of accessories just to record, etc. = LAME!) I just got a MZ-DH10P (The one that has a camera built-in!), and I can't tell you how many people stop and ask me what it is, etc. Plus IT'S A MINIDISC WITH A CAMERA! Yahoo gang, good times... I highly advise you to make the investment, you'll feel alive about the whole concept again.

I got my MZ-NH1 on Xmas day and I can´t take it out of my ears...a beautful player.Ipods are for the fashion brigade.The only gripe I have about the NH1 is the battery life.Maybe I expect too much.Go Hi-MD you won´t regret it.I just hope Sony will support this format. :ok:

I'm just planning on buying a new NH1. What battery life can I expect ?

Edited by Poiesis

I get at least 12 hours listening out of mine, haven't done much recording so can't give you an adea in that department, hope you like you'res, I love mine

Bob

I'm just planning on buying a new NH1. What battery life can I expect ?