MZ-RH910 died months after purchase...

Rate this topic

lalomania

Hi, i bought a MZ-Rh910 a few months ago, and well it doesnt record anymore.

One day, all of a sudden, with no warning, out of the blue... it just stopped recording!

It plays but it doesnt record (I record something normally and when i press stop it stays eternally showing a "Recording to MD"esque message) . So i took it to Sony, thinking that it had to be a problem with the lens, and that it would be pretty easy to fix. And no, they tell me its a problem with the processor and that it could cost me 150 dollars IF they manage to find a new processor. I dont know what to do. I live in Uruguay and i bought this in the USA, so dont know if the guarantee is valid or not.

Any recomendations? Thanx in advance!

Hi, i bought a MZ-Rh910 a few months ago, and well it doesnt record anymore.

One day, all of a sudden, with no warning, out of the blue... it just stopped recording!

It plays but it doesnt record (I record something normally and when i press stop it stays eternally showing a "Recording to MD"esque message) . So i took it to Sony, thinking that it had to be a problem with the lens, and that it would be pretty easy to fix. And no, they tell me its a problem with the processor and that it could cost me 150 dollars IF they manage to find a new processor. I dont know what to do. I live in Uruguay and i bought this in the USA, so dont know if the guarantee is valid or not.

Any recomendations? Thanx in advance!

sorry to hear about your MD not working, but the warranty would NOT be valid in your country, because u bought it in the USA. i wouldn't pay to get it fix, i would just get a new one or a used one if u can.

sorry to hear about your MD not working, but the warranty would NOT be valid in your country, because u bought it in the USA. i wouldn't pay to get it fix, i would just get a new one or a used one if u can.

Can't you ship it back to Sony USA and get it repaired under warranty? That way you only have to pay for the shipping.

cuz it'll cost more than the whole unit or at least half the price of what u paid for it....but u r more than welcome to send it in to Sony USA and see what they say.

Ok i think ill call them first, to get an estimate or something. This sucks i expected a better built product from sony, they've realy let me down. :mellow:

The shipping wouldn't be that steep. Just phone them about it, and ship it over if its ok. This would be the first time i ever heard anyone with this problem, maybe it was a voltage spike....

someone here has one for sell......have to look for that thread.

the guy with the excel spread sheet. he has a bunch of MD recorders that he's selling.

didn't u say that it was gonna cost 150 to get that processor fixed? if they can find a processor?

as the title says "died within months" I guess it could still be valid... but I dunno much about US warranty... in Belgium (and the EU) we get a standard two year warranty now on new electronics etc.

It's 90 days labour, 1 year parts (although I am thinking my RH1 is only 90/90). Really sucks, as it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence (especially since it's not like Sony's support knows anything about their own units; by the time you discover a flaw and confirm it IS a warranty-related issue and not just a HiMD quirk the warranty is gone)

Seems like an >$300 piece of electronics would have at least a 1 year full warranty...

It's 90 days labour, 1 year parts (although I am thinking my RH1 is only 90/90). Really sucks, as it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence (especially since it's not like Sony's support knows anything about their own units; by the time you discover a flaw and confirm it IS a warranty-related issue and not just a HiMD quirk the warranty is gone)

Seems like an >$300 piece of electronics would have at least a 1 year full warranty...

that's why i buy those extended warranties most of the time.

Hm. I was told the UK warranty on the RH1 is one year parts and labour...

Like sector said, it's best to check the warranty card that came with the unit rather than rely on what someone told you. Unless the actual warranty card (or phoned representative) from Sony is being quoted, it would be just a lot of guessing and hoping. It's looking obvious that warranties differ from continent to continent.

• 4 weeks later...