Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 3 Studio

Rate this topic

KrazyIvan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hehe, late reply. :D

Totaly disagree with the reviewers notes on sound quality. Look at his source, referring to portable sound. 192 kbps mp3's and an ipood. He mentions he also uses the original CD's on a home system and the output on a Creative sound card. I use mine mainly on my iAudio X5L and my MD units. The anemic amp of my sony units can barely drive them so I am thinking that a sound card is definitely not going to have the umph to drive them. The iAudio has more power to drive them and I am perfectly happy with the way they sound. Did I mention I mainly have 320 kbps mp3's? Paired with the right source, they are an excellent buy for the price. They should be around $50-$60 now.

• 2 weeks later...

Hehe, late reply. :D

Totaly disagree with the reviewers notes on sound quality. Look at his source, referring to portable sound. 192 kbps mp3's and an ipood. He mentions he also uses the original CD's on a home system and the output on a Creative sound card. I use mine mainly on my iAudio X5L and my MD units. The anemic amp of my sony units can barely drive them so I am thinking that a sound card is definitely not going to have the umph to drive them. The iAudio has more power to drive them and I am perfectly happy with the way they sound. Did I mention I mainly have 320 kbps mp3's? Paired with the right source, they are an excellent buy for the price. They should be around $50-$60 now.

When u say barely drive , is that with or without the attenuater they supplied?

Those look pretty durable , and good for stage , if there arent to high I might get a set , I cant hear myself at all half the time when I am playing out , most of the small clubs do not have proper stage monitors for the musicians , just for the audience.

• 4 weeks later...

I really need to check this thread more often. :lol:

Ray Frequency Response: 20 to 13,000

Does not seem very good, does it. I have been happy with them and the high cut off does not seem to be a problem. I usually cut the high frequencies with EQ because they seem bright already so I don't know.

@guitarfxr - That's without the attenuator. I have never used it. The durability is without a doubt a big plus. They are polycarbonate shells and the wire insulation is a PVC type material. It's very flexible and it does not suffer from "microphonics". The other plus side is that the wires are replaceable if something does happen.

what's the frequency response?? i should add to my collection.. i NEED a lot of different ones for different units..

I though I read from their website last week the response is 20-16,000. In my opinion to answer that you need to add to your collection, no. They are nice but not that good in sound but, I will say that replacement parts are cheaper than Sony. If the wire goes bad you can replace the wire for $20 instead of buying new headphones, which is nice. I own a pair of the super fi. 5's and have listen to the 3's. I didn't hear a noticeable difference. I cost to me was $130 for the 5's and $100 for the 3's.

If you like loud volumes this is your headphone. On just about any device I own I can only turn the unit half way before hurting my ears. Which makes them good for drowning out noise like when in airplanes, kids, or other machine noises. I will say they are very comfortable to wear.

Edited by Hombre

• 3 weeks later...

I just orderd a set off ebay for about $70 after shipping...hope to have them by the weekend. I'll put my 2 cents in when I get 'em. :D

I must say it's a leap of faith spending this much on such tiny 'phones. been using $25 JVC units lately...

well now ! wow, got the super fi 3's in my ears now. dang ! these are louder and cleaner on 20 than the JVC's on 30 ! dead silent between tracks. very impressive sounding 'phones for shure err...I mean U.E. heh heh....

there's a litrtle wire in the phone cord coming out so you can bend the cord to fit your head as they come out if the driver units. I'm using them upside down cause I don't like the idea of them over my ears,I already have glasses going there.

with the JVC's, I used 3 flange sleves for he Sen. phones cause they seal well and deep. with just one flange bulbs these really transfer good bass...so far, only tried 3-4 songs and haven't played with the EQ yet.

these are soo much more efficient you could easily tweek the EQ for your preference...heh...dang. sweet 'phones.

the lingth of the cord will be good for me cause I like to stick the MD in my shirt pocket. the cord will go round my back and under my arm fine.

I'm just listening to random mp3's I've recorded to MD via analogue from the computer, so god knows what it'll sound like with a nicely recorded CD.

Edited by Nate A