Hi-MD Deck?

Rate this topic

Dave49

Are there MD decks that are Hi-MD compatible. I have a MZ-NH900 and have a lot of recordings in Hi-MD format and would like to have a deck that would be able to play them. However, I would also like to be able to periodically record from the radio without having to fool around with cables behind my stereo to hook up my MZ-NH900. It would be great if the deck had both optical in and out.

I bought a MDS-JE320 on ebay pretty cheap, but unfortunately the disk that came in it won't eject...so the unit is bacially useless for me. Then I realized, I don't even know if it will play Hi-MD.

I have been looking at MDS-940s on Ebay...will they play Hi-MD?

Any help would be appreciated. :scratchhead:

Dave

do you want to sell the deck with the disk stuck inside it?

Not yet. I am going to try to fix it myself. If I can't fix it I may try to sell it later.

Dave

Currently only Onkyo has made Hi-MD decks, and they are only available in Japan. Check out PriceJapan, as the MD105FX(S) is pretty affordable right now. No Hi-MD deck has optical out nor USB to PC connection though. Check out the threads on those decks on the forum by using the search function, for more details.

Thanks for the update. Too bad there aren't any HiMD decks in the U.S. yet...if ever.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Not yet. I am going to try to fix it myself. If I can't fix it I may try to sell it later.

Dave

Thanks for the update. Too bad there aren't any HiMD decks in the U.S. yet...if ever.

Dave

You can get the MD-105 FX and also the MD-133 direct from Audio Cubes, and they even include the power converter needed to operate the Japanese 100 VAC here in the US on our 120 VAC system, but, the manual on each is only in Japanese, but the LED flourescent display on both is in English.

If you already know how to operate a standard MD deck it should not take the brains of a bikini model, like my former high school classmate Cindy Margolis :pleasantry: also at http://www.myspace.com/cindymargolis to figure out how to use it.

PIECE OF CAKE.

Edited by BIGHMW

Dave

There are a handful of places online to buy the Onkyo Hi-MD decks, shipping to the U.S., U.K., and other non-Japan markets.

My Onkyo deck is happily working on a step-down transformer here in the U.S.

Easy to obtain (I used amazon.co.jp and a friend's address in Japan), quick to ship, and intuitive to operate, everything (except the printed manual, but who reads that? ha) is in English.

YMMV...

Edited by DATfan