Home Recording Guide

Rate this topic

What Experience do you have?  

1. 1. Pro Studio Experience?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Live Stage Approved Recording ( Soundman)

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Movie Soundtrack or Related Work?

• Yes
    • No

Intro to Engineering

Recording is an art , and often misunderstood and misrepresented. Many people who have "Gadjet Experience" think that they know recording. But that isnt so . Good info is good info . This isnt my work, and there are some gramatical errors , but it IS well worded and presented from an Engineering Standpoint , The Basics are in this guide. The rest comes from experience and the working enviornment .

I hope this helps you guys to see what it means to "Get That Sound"

Home Studio Recording

post-28377-1216558194_thumb.jpg
Edited by Guitarfxr

Intro to Engineering

Recording is an art , and often misunderstood and misrepresented. Many people who have "Gadjet Experience" think that they know recording. But that isnt so . Good info is good info . This isnt my work, and there are some gramatical errors , but it IS well worded and presented from an Engineering Standpoint , The Basics are in this guide. The rest comes from experience and the working enviornment .

Home Studio Recording

Great stuff, and very relevant on a Minidisc board. Modern equipment is so advanced that anyone can gain great recordings on any budget with just a little bit of know-how.

even though i HATE reading;; and NEVER read a book in my life;; this will be a good read;; thank you..

with all the gear i have;; i must say i love to igrore the norm and go with the instinct..

i plan to record this year's Easter Egg Hunt i put on for my 14 Grandchildren;; and this gives my an idead to record the whole thing on the Camcorder AND Hi-MD900..

i Love all their rants of how i hide the eggs TOO Hard;; and all the comments i can capture on a "House FULL of mics"..

they have REQUESTED me to repeat my "Deal or No Deal - Egg Hunt" again this year;; and the recorded rants would be a source of a good year's of editing and DVD making..

as i (rayzray) always seem OT;; i am always "Right On".. never know when one year i will invite a local band to entertain at my "Peter Rabbit Egg Hunt"!!

Edited by rayzray

Hey Ray , I think you will find the part about the Vocal Recording Techniques in the 60's&70's to to be very entertaining.

Thx for the comments

ok,, will do;; although i am an advocate of "Voice EFX";; and "Art of Noise" Quilology..

i would rather put my mics to my Roland Harmonizer;; or my DigiTech Vocal 300 Vocal Prossssessssor..

i was TRYING to sleep;; but the CD i was listening to (Madina Lake) was mentally challenging my mind and ears..

Madina Lake shudda read this article BEFORE recording their CD;; and possibly separated their lead vocalist from the insane distorted rhythm guitar..

how can a band be so eloquently acoustic;; and defiantly EMO..!!

should they have read your PDA;; PHD;; or PPP;; as to mic placement;; and studio recording;; theyr wudda put me to sleep better..

Edited by rayzray

Well, it seems to be a good compendium of advice compiled from various websites - Google for some of the phrases used and you may find yourself at sites which can extend what's contained in the pdf.

Are you Borean or , or antogonist? ... It has some similarities yes , and certain phrases are constant throughout the recording industry , any engineer who has learned , will come to the same conclusions about a lot of things , then after that are the personal touches and tastes in how the finished product turns out . :buba:

well;; IMO;; when i read it;; it didn't seem redundant;; and it was interesting;; and refreshed me mind..

i have studies all this sooooo many times in my life and FORGET it as fast as i read it;;

cause;; i really don't APPLY it in my life..

i mostly PLAYED in studios;; rather that engineered,,etc..

i see this whole subject as a mirror image of one song sounding "Similar" to another;; and the myth that one person must have "STOLE" that song from someone else..

there are ONLY a few scales and chord progressions in our lifetime;; and we all have to "Write" DIFFERENT songs from the same sources..

yes;; some ppl "Steal" songs;; but many just use the SAME riffs we all studies from in practice books;; the "Buggs" bood;; the Hannon series;; the Berkley/Boston Texts which the Guitar ones are the BEST for my piano students..

IMO;; GOOGLE is a violator of copywrite laws and just a plain copy-KAT;; but of course we all use it.. (as we all steal music from everywhere)..

oh,, Guitarfxr,, i read that 60's 70's stuff;; but,, just because i am almost 64;; doesn't mean i "Like" the 60's and 70's;; i do not dwell on the PAST;; and only love to listen to "New" music;; and new bands creating------

New "Stuff' from Old Stuff and scales and dales,, chords and discords..

i think more like a radical 15 year old;; and as i listen to my new Madina Lake CD and all the prettiness and ugliness a song can have;; using the same old chord progression and scales..

Edited by rayzray

Ray ....you Rock Dude! :P

It was the part in the Compression section , about the doubletracking where one track had the %#%$ squeezed out of it , I thought you might find that funny.

yes;; i DO "Rock" if you may say so;; i will "Rock" till i'm 99 Years old;; and on my 100th Birthday i will still "Rock" (if i make it that far)

they say "only the Good die young" so i should live forever..

yes;;that was a funny spot in the text;; i liked it..

that WORD (%#%$) IS my favorite word in the English language;; and i use it a LOT in appropriate situations..

speaking of ((the track that had the %#%$ Squeezed out of it));; i can associate that with my "Singing"..

i used to use a load of reverb/delay on my voice for years and years;; and no one could ever really prove if i was singing the word "Luck",, "Duck" ,, or %#%$..

i used to drive the crowd crazy.. i made sure my mouth was right up to the Ball of the mic so no one could "Read my Lips" too..

Edited by rayzray

Intro to Engineering

Home Studio Recording

GF - Interesting attachment. I am printing it and have saved a copy. Thanks!

I'm glad to be back from computer banishment land. I've been trying to get a new satellite internet setup going and I ended up doing the whole reformat thing. So I'm way behind on everything right now. I hope to get to read this soon. Maybe I'll learn just how out of touch I really am. :) I downloaded a copy and am looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for posting it.

I'm glad to be back from computer banishment land. I've been trying to get a new satellite internet setup going and I ended up doing the whole reformat thing. So I'm way behind on everything right now. I hope to get to read this soon. Maybe I'll learn just how out of touch I really am. :) I downloaded a copy and am looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for posting it.

Going Sattelite huh? youll be an uploadin downloadin fool then ZOOOOOOM

Yeah but actually I had a DirecPC dish that I used for about 8 years before this. I started out on AOL's satellite service but they sold out to DirecPC and they sold out to HughesNet. AOL service was great for about 3 years. No download restrictions of any kind and speeds between 2-3mbps. DirecPC or DirecWay as it became known was super for a while too. I got speeds between 5-6mbps which was awesome but there were some download restrictions. I could download about 150 meg in 10 minutes or so but then the speed dropped to dialup speed. It took about 8 hours to get completely back up to top speed gradually. Hughes took over and things were already headed downhill. By the time I dropped the service I couldn't get dialup speeds except late at night.

I'm setting up a SkyFX system right now. It's been nothing but headaches so far. The old HughesNet software conflicted with it so I ended up reformating. And I still can't get the dish pointed. I've pointed a dish 25 times or more but I can't get this one. Something's wrong and the company won't even answer the phone right now. They rolled out a new setup and they've had a ton of problems with it. Maybe someday soon I'll get it up and running.