Need MD player with optical out

Rate this topic

n1r0t

Hi all,

Trying to find a mini disc player with optical out. I have some archived recordings on MD that I'd like to transfer digitally. I know some of the discontinued Sony decks have the option. I was wondering if there were any units currently being produced that have optical out.

Have a strong technical background in audio engineering/editing so I'm not looking for software advice, just a good hardware recommendation. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

~n1

As far as I know Sony's last produced deck, the JE780, has this. But seems like most people are unable to buy it. There's an article somewhere here explaining how to hack optical out into the JE480, and I have no idea whether this information could be applied to another deck.

Recommend you look for a second hand unit - nearly ALL decks (except some in the 300's and 400's) have the Toslink output. You can find out exactly when you have one you're checking out, by looking in the equipment browser off the main minidisc.org page.

The alternative is to buy an MZ-RH1 which is the only portable to allow uploading of SP tracks, other than the extremely pricey "pro" models such as HHB Portadisc.

Welcome to MDCF!

Thanks SFBP...

I was actually perusing the equipment browser after I posted. VERY helpful. Looks like the Tascam MD-CD1 can still be purchased new... However, for what I need it for, it's a bit overkill. :D I guess I'll just lurk on e-bay and see what comes up there and cross reference it with the equipment database.

~n1

What format or version of Atrac are the archives ?

if they are early versions , I have a portable that has Optical out an older Kenwood DMC-E7R

http://minidisc.org/part_Kenwood_DMC-E7R.html

Optical Out is integrated in the headphone jack , I have all the original accessories , and then some .

A fellow Audio dude .

I know my way around a 32 channel board

Thanks SFBP...

I was actually perusing the equipment browser after I posted. VERY helpful. Looks like the Tascam MD-CD1 can still be purchased new... However, for what I need it for, it's a bit overkill. :D I guess I'll just lurk on e-bay and see what comes up there and cross reference it with the equipment database.

~n1

Well, you might also consider the assertion that nearly all Sony's engineering is pretty solid (the exceptions are well known by the folks here) and it really is all about what software will allow you to do.

Tascam is definitely great equipment - but pretty expensive compared to what you can pick up here. Most of the Tascam gets listed for $300+ with buy-it-now.

Where are you located? The answer makes a big difference for decks because they are mostly only capable of using one power grid. (there are exceptions too). For portables it's a little different. There are all sorts of different recommendations depending on where you are, for obtaining the h/w you want.

Located on the US East Coast...

Guitarfxr, I'll have to check the Atrac version. That Kenwood looks exactly like what I'm looking for if the formats are compatible. =) My wife made the recordings back probably 5 years. Not sure what model her Sony MD recorder is. I'll get back to you when I know.

sfbp, I figured I can't go wrong with the Sony decks. I have two portable Sony MD players/recorders and loved them before I went to my mAudio MicroTrack24/96. I've got the software covered.

Thanks guys for the help!

~n1

sfbp, I figured I can't go wrong with the Sony decks. I have two portable Sony MD players/recorders and loved them before I went to my mAudio MicroTrack24/96. I've got the software covered.

Glad to help.

What sound card are you using? I have found that getting a reasonably priced card with toslink in (and out) is next to impossible here in North America. I ended up going to Britain the last time.

bobt, how does the digital upload work?

sfbp, don't know what your definition of "reasonable" is, but I just picked up the Soundblaster X-fi Titanium. $100 US MSRP. Very much a consumer card, but is pretty decent. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17927&nav=1)

I still need to use a Samson headphone amp to get enough juice to my AKG 240 DF's...

The "Extreme Audio" PCI Express version is only $60 MSRP (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=16770)

sfbp, don't know what your definition of "reasonable" is, but I just picked up the Soundblaster X-fi Titanium. $100 US MSRP. Very much a consumer card, but is pretty decent. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17927&nav=1)

I still need to use a Samson headphone amp to get enough juice to my AKG 240 DF's...

The "Extreme Audio" PCI Express version is only $60 MSRP (http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=16770)

Well I admit I paid a similar amount for Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. But when I bought their next model for a new computer (Montego) I sent it back. Hopeless.

I ended up with a Terratec Aureon 5.1 for about $30 which I had someone buy for me in England. As long as you have both optical in and out. For the longest time Creative seemed not to have such a card available for under $300.

Another thing, the Aureon has this nifty little checkbox labelled "copyright protection".

post-58665-1225778688.jpg

As such when unchecked, I think it ignores SCMS.... regardless of whether this is so, I can upload from my MDLP deck, even NetMD tracks.

Wouldn't it be cheaper or easier to send the discs to someone with an RH1, having him/her upload those files, burn you a CD (Either unrestricted .wav or un-drm OMA) and send them back? Unless they had been NetMd downloads from a PC, it should work just fine.

Edited by Syrius

The RH1/M200 allows the MD to be uploaded to your computer through the USB using a program called Sonicstage, it is a fairly quick way to get your discs into the computer. If you get any other Hi-md, they will upload sics that they record, but the RHI is the only one tht does them all.

Good luck,

Bob

It works pretty well. But even the RH1 won't allow upload of NetMD tracks, whereas I can get them out of my JE640 via toslink just fine.

But it sounds like the big deal is SP recordings and AFAIK the RH1 deals with them all. Even mono. The M200 is just the RH1 with a microphone, which you can buy separately or replace with something of your own choosing (or design!).

Minidisc Canada seems to have the RH1, still under $300 despite the Can $ recovering a bit this week.