Quality in Blanks

Rate this topic

zahne

I understand that all standard MDs are lossy. But what makes some Mds professional and some consumer? Does it have to do with the lifespan or are they manufactured with different materials? From what I understand about MiniDV and HDV they are the same thing but re-branded and basically a joke. No videographer I've ever spoken to about this has said the HDV offers something different, is that true for the MDs too?

• 2 weeks later...

The only difference I have noticed is that some used blanks seem (I presume) to get physically warped. I can hear it sometimes when a disk is playing in a deck, as a persistent rattle or tap sound. One can only hope that the repeated banging of something (!?) against something else (!) doesn't degrade the player. I know that originally one of my decks seemed to have something comparable when recording (only), and that was traced to a loose piece of plastic floating around inside. However this noise I am mentioning now is on playback too.

Perhaps the higher quality disks are more rigidly constructed?

• 3 weeks later...

Presumably we've all seen minidisc.org's related comment on this: Link

Personally, I'm rather bemused by Sony's 'anti-vibration' MD, especially looking at the graph on the wrapper. I think I need a 'y-axis interpretation note' ... and it still rattles when I shake it ...

Anyway, given that there is a specification for MiniDiscs, there should be a minimum standard across all manufacturers, yes?

I seem to remember reading somewhere about >500 recordings, maximum error rates, and long lifespans, in a specification.

Oh, well, I must get back to listening to my MDs, rather than write about them ... :scratchhead:

Regards all,

mdmad

Personally, I'm rather bemused by Sony's 'anti-vibration' MD, especially looking at the graph on the wrapper. I think I need a 'y-axis interpretation note' ... and it still rattles when I shake it ...

The minidisc is gripped in place by a magnet to the metal centre, isn't it? At least that's what I recall someone, who knew better than I, to say.

Once it is in place (a lot like a CD or DVD which instead uses friction) I imagine any warping of the media might lead to fluctuations in the bit patterns and hence the occasional losses. I have seen this ONLY with combinations of certain particular disks (always non-Sony) and one particular player. I suspect I have been lucky. Presumably Sony pushes the Pro disks for extremely heavy use (re-use) where a lot of editing is required. I'd rather do the really tricky edits on my PC (some types of edit are really really much easier on the MD itself, however) and wear out the bits on my ram chips than warm up the plastic in an MD.

I've also raised the issue of warped disks eventually damaging the mechanism of a player, but the hardware is pretty rugged at the worst of times :)

• 4 weeks later...

I understand that all standard MDs are lossy. But what makes some Mds professional and some consumer? Does it have to do with the lifespan or are they manufactured with different materials? From what I understand about MiniDV and HDV they are the same thing but re-branded and basically a joke. No videographer I've ever spoken to about this has said the HDV offers something different, is that true for the MDs too?

I just did a quick comparison of four discs: Sony ES (gold/white high-end), TDK XS-iV, Sony Shock Absorbing Mechanism and a Sony Neige. My conclusions are:

1. When shaken the ES and Shock disc are slightly less noisy than the other two.

2. The case of the ES disc seems very tough plastic, followed by the Shock, then the other two.

3. The "pro" discs are those with probably both a sturdy case and some "shock absorption" gubbins inside.

I have a MiniDV camcorder too. In that arena, I understand that it is normally best to match the brand of the MiniDV casettes to the camcorder due to the chemicals they use on the tape surface. MD is a magento-optical so the same rules do not apply.

• 6 months later...

I think that every MD, every brand, will do the work.

The only difference is the colour!

i don't think there are pro-blanks.. as many reported here, a blank can survive to a wash in a washing machine, a swimming at the sea and so on..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree that every brand MD will do the job, but from what I have seen there are only two left, SONY and VICTOR.... There might be another but I haven't seen them out there.

There is a Pro Blank, and its price indicates it is aimed at the professional, whether it is an inflated price or for better quality material???

I tried to get more info on the Pro Blanks ( SONY ) and all I can figure is the disk is made of a more dense material and should hold up to rigorous recording and erasures. If you figure a studio will probably record and erase on the disk a few times a week, over a period of time that disk will have seen more recording and editing then we will ever do.

If our supplies of discs goes away, the Pro Disc may be our only choice as the Professional decks by TASCAM should indicate some longevity in Pro Disc availability....

Just my thought

Odyssey

( UPDATE Sep 15 2010 )

It seems the Professional disc, made by SONY is not being made anymore...

The stores still have them but the prices are not coming down... They are in a " available as supplies last " mode and when they are gone, that will be the end of the expensive PROFESSIONAL SONY disc.

This has me wondering what the professional users will do, considering that TasCam only makes recorders/player for MD but not discs.... I had thought the TasCam market might help keep the MD supply available longer but SONY has taken another step at orphaning us MD users again.

Sony Still has 74 and 80 minute MD in production and I believe the Neige Discs are in production. Correct me but I believe the color disc series has been discontinued as well, being sold until supplies are exhausted.

Make sure you look for the deals, some of the prices I have seen are beyond silly, or porpose price gouging.

I have seen some fair prices still for some MDs blanks.

Good luck