Is it worth fitting an in-car MD player?

Rate this topic

Soundbox

At the moment I have a Panasonic radio-cassette player in my car (Skoda Estelle) which I am happy with (nice sound, logic control and nice display) but I am on the fence about exchanging it for an MD player. My current unit has a very easy line input socket on the front panel where I can plug in my MD player, but something tells me it would be nice to use a dedicated player.

Is having a proper deck worth it or is it just as good to plug in my player to my current tape deck as and when neded?

Any thoughts appreciated - also any model numbers of decent car MD decks would be helpful.

I love my Kenwood KMD-44. It's great just popping a disc in that dedicated slot and not worrying about your portable sliding around your car. It's great having that big title display, too. But, I imagine these are nearly impossible to find.

I would humbly direct you to the following thread and my answer therein

http://forums.sonyinsider.com/index.php?showtopic=24261

I also have bought a used MDX-CA790X for wife's car (to which I attached a CD changer). But the CD deck with MD changer gives you more choices, IMO. There are a couple of things the 790X will do that an MD changer won't, but overall with the option of Atrac CD's in the head unit (you cannot put an Atrac CD in a changer, only MP3 disks in the 757 changer and similar) I like my setup better (of the 2).

Finding anything that plays MDLP in the car is hard, so grab it, whether changer or head unit. There is no HiMD deck for the car, hence my preference (because you CAN put Atrac3+ HiMD format onto the Atrac CD's).

I have an MD deck in my Kia Preggio, love it, also have the connect 2 adapter, which allows any Sony device with a remote to be used, so I can listen to my pre-recorded, home grown, Hi-md, or hard drive Sony's, best of all worlds. Make your own choice on the ATRAC cd's, there may be good sound etc, but you still have the frailty of the CD in a car environment, good luck with your choices

Bob

Right, well I'm going against the flow here, but I like simply plugging in my portable!

The disc is already loaded; no discs laying around the car (in pouch instead) requiring two sets; can take it with you when you get out!

Yes, a dedicated unit is kind of a good idea, but I've got on fine with a portable!

Seems either way is OK.

Regards,

mdmad.

Right, well I'm going against the flow here, but I like simply plugging in my portable!

The disc is already loaded; no discs laying around the car (in pouch instead) requiring two sets; can take it with you when you get out!

Yes, a dedicated unit is kind of a good idea, but I've got on fine with a portable!

Seems either way is OK.

Regards,

mdmad.

Hi mdmad im really glad you said that because i have just bought a wharfdale ics182 in-cd car stereo with a aux input for my minidisc MZ-E310,i was hoping it would sound ok because i have to fit it at the weekend,and i too was not sure which way to go ,so it was good to read you are using this way ,Brian

My preference is still the integrated solution, for the following reasons:

a. I accept the skipping thing for *regular* CD's but I absolutely reject it for Atrac CD's because in the compressed format so much more is read at a time that I see no reason for skipping except in travelling over a bumpy desert, and even then....

b. With the authorities getting tougher and tougher on in-car devices (and frankly I think they are absolutely right to, you should see the idiots in Vancouver) punching buttons on your player is a major distraction from driving. At least if the device is fixed to the car, you are legally OK, not to mention a lot safer. (yes I know some of the interfaces control the portable nicely but my sense is the Sony CD units handles skipping as well or better than the average portable - but I have no real evidence for saying this)

c. Compressed CD's will "never" be stolen (in fact only Commercial CD's will go, your hand made copies will never get nicked either). Even if they are it's not a big deal to remaster them. Since they are a non-archival "one-way" format, you will never make one and throw away the source material :)

d. Line out can have severe problems with connector, line noise, and line level. Not to mention the loose wire as just another hazard both to you and to itself.

e. Charging is a nuisance, potentially another wire.

I think Sony's car technology is terrific, for the low cost you can get it used, I think it beats the pants off the alternatives.

My preference is still the integrated solution, for the following reasons:

a. I accept the skipping thing for *regular* CD's but I absolutely reject it for Atrac CD's because in the compressed format so much more is read at a time that I see no reason for skipping except in travelling over a bumpy desert, and even then....

b. With the authorities getting tougher and tougher on in-car devices (and frankly I think they are absolutely right to, you should see the idiots in Vancouver) punching buttons on your player is a major distraction from driving. At least if the device is fixed to the car, you are legally OK, not to mention a lot safer. (yes I know some of the interfaces control the portable nicely but my sense is the Sony CD units handles skipping as well or better than the average portable - but I have no real evidence for saying this)

c. Compressed CD's will "never" be stolen (in fact only Commercial CD's will go, your hand made copies will never get nicked either). Even if they are it's not a big deal to remaster them. Since they are a non-archival "one-way" format, you will never make one and throw away the source material smile.gif

d. Line out can have severe problems with connector, line noise, and line level. Not to mention the loose wire as just another hazard both to you and to itself.

e. Charging is a nuisance, potentially another wire.

I think Sony's car technology is terrific, for the low cost you can get it used, I think it beats the pants off the alternatives.

Hi i think to some point you could be right, about safty of having a minidisc plugged in to a cd/radio player aux with a wire hanging, but i have to admit i am about to try this using this gadget off ebay Universal Suction Mobile Phone PDA In Car Holder Mount it looks good and should keep every thing tidy,,and if not out it comes Brian

Hi i think to some point you could be right, about safty of having a minidisc plugged in to a cd/radio player aux with a wire hanging, but i have to admit i am about to try this using this gadget off ebay Universal Suction Mobile Phone PDA In Car Holder Mount it looks good and should keep every thing tidy,,and if not out it comes Brian

Yes, apparently you can buy genuine MD-holders for attachment to the dasboard - then it is no different to pressing a fixed unit.

Also, I do not have line-out - so adjust volume to suit => no noise or distortion at all heard!

Battery life? I mean, I ain't driving for more than 6 hours without a stop (or a change of MD!). [44hours on my MJ75 when it was new!]

Skipping? Haven't had one yet! (OK, I'm no off-roader).

Still, won't argue that a nice dedicated unit is better - it's just that I can't be bothered to change my headunit again - too many cars had!

Regards all,

mdmad.

I love my Kenwood KMD-44. It's great just popping a disc in that dedicated slot and not worrying about your portable sliding around your car. It's great having that big title display, too. But, I imagine these are nearly impossible to find.

Nearly impossible is right. Last night I saw one on Ebay, but you don't see them very often there, or anywhere else. Quite some years ago I pulled the Clarion CS head unit out of my pickup and put in a Clarion 465D (think I have that right) MD. To say I never regretted the switch would be a huge understatement. I eventually replaced the MDLP-less Clarion with a used Sony CA680X, which does have MDLP. And when I got a new car back in 2006 (Ford Escape), I put the CA680X in it.

IMO, an MD head unit, for those of us who are deep into that technology, is the way to go. I do wish mine had AUX in, but other than that no complaints. No tapes, no cables - it's all so easy and convenient for me. I just keep my fingers crossed that the CA680X keeps on going.

As to what became of the Clarion 465D: It eventually went into my wife's Subaru. We both use the MD part largely to listen to audiobooks that I have recorded from CD or CS. Mono mode is a GOOD thing!

Finally! A thread I can hijack for showing of my new CD/MD car stereo and give my flaming word of advise to buy a radio that features Minidisc...

show of 1st:

cimg1627o.th.jpg

If your car really is a 80s communist Skoda model you need a retro stereo - I´d suggest a Becker Pro MD Modell:

mexico_pro_4937_md.jpg

(or the Mexico Retro with an interface for portables:)

Mexico.jpg

Thanks for the thoghts. That Kenwood unit looks perfect - sad they are so rare...

Anyway, I think a multichanger (I never knew they existed until I read about them here) is the way forward for me because I have the inputs on the back of my current unit and also because I still like my tapes.

I really am with MD for the long haul so I will keep looking for a multichanger but it is not urgent as I do have the line in until then.

And yes, I really do have the old Skoda (easy to install my own unit in that), but I also have the newer (Fabia vRS) model which is used the most. Too bad the new car has a CD unit that is fashioned as part of the fascia (Blaupunkt make it I think) otherwise I would have MD in there in a flash.

My Skoda;

7930788-md.jpg

You need a SONY head unit to work the changer, though. Unless Skoda happened to license Sony's proprietary Unilink bus technology including all the connectors.....

Here's the interface for a Skoda factory headunit, assuming (big assumption) that it is still valid

http://www.addacdchanger.co.uk/Mini_Disc_Products/MD_Changer_Interfaces/Skoda_MD_Changer_Interface_Adaptor/Interface_Adaptor_1/Skoda_MD_Changer_Interface_Adaptor_1_%28Sony%29

Kindof expensive when you can buy a Sony headunit for about 50 and the changer for about 120 (at a guess).

Finding anything that plays MDLP in the car is hard, so grab it, whether changer or head unit.

If one wants LP in the car, then I seriously second that emotion!

I looked all over the place for the Kenwood KMD-44 mentioned earlier in this thread and just could not find one. Not that I can complain about the Sony CA680X, but I liked the looks of the K/W better, and I had a good experience with a Kenwood CS head unit, as well.

OTOH, there are many MDLP portables and if you're willing to plug 'n' play, so to speak, then car LP is simple.

I think not. You need one with a Unilink bus socket on the back, which the lower numbered models do not have. However a head unit that has one (my current and favourite is the CDX-GT510 which also has an Aux on the front) will slot in the same brackets and connectors that the 240 is already using, and should cost you (used) way less than retail on the 240. You can turn a small profit trading it in for a used head unit!!

See for example this CDX-GT710. The ones sold recently on Ebay UK go for around 50 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-CDX-GT710-Car-CD-MP3-Player_W0QQitemZ250609020273

Here's the unit I want myself, has bluetooth too. Just can't afford it right now and my 510 works fine. Also it's in the wrong country, too much shipping cost.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-MEX-BT5000-Car-CD-Stereo-Head-Unit_W0QQitemZ160418102231

Does that help? Note the manual for 240 and 340 shows that the 340 has all the extras like satellite/HD connections as well as the Unilink connector, that the 240 doesn't.

I think not. You need one with a Unilink bus socket on the back, which the lower numbered models do not have. However a head unit that has one (my current and favourite is the CDX-GT510 which also has an Aux on the front) will slot in the same brackets and connectors that the 240 is already using, and should cost you (used) way less than retail on the 240. You can turn a small profit trading it in for a used head unit!!

See for example this CDX-GT710. The ones sold recently on Ebay UK go for around 50 quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...emZ250609020273

Here's the unit I want myself, has bluetooth too. Just can't afford it right now and my 510 works fine. Also it's in the wrong country, too much shipping cost.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...emZ160418102231

Does that help? Note the manual for 240 and 340 shows that the 340 has all the extras like satellite/HD connections as well as the Unilink connector, that the 240 doesn't.

thankyou for your help Brian