MZ-RH1 - WOW!

Rate this topic

wdraham

I still have my old Minidisc MZ-R50. Was an early adopter in 1997 when it was first released and enjoyed many many many years of good use and good quality sound out of it.

I recall when first receiving the MZ-R50, I emailed Sony support when MP3's were quite new, asking them that it would be fantastic if we could use the disc writing capabilities of the MD to write mp3 files to the disc and play the files back. Sony responded that they use superior ATRAC capabilities and have no intention of using mp3's on MDs... At the time, the only way to record to MD was to input through audio-in. It was tedious but, leaving a cd to play for 74mins while the MD recorded was the norm, but heck it was worth it! The alternatives were carrying discmans and tape around everywhere....

Then came ipods... Around 2004, I switched to a 4th Generation Ipod because I could store 20GB of mp3's on there and it was convenient.... so my use of the MD eventually faded... until now.

After learning of Sony's intentions of discontinuing production of MD, I quickly dashed out at lunchtime and managed to find a MZ-RH1 in an electronics store nearby. My first impression was WOW!

I use Etymotic ER-4P's (I like treble!) and the sound coming out of them with the MZ-RH1's is superb! These are the same mp3's I've been listening to on my iphone and it feel's like I've been in a long 7 year slumber! What have I missed out on?!?! Now, after 14 years of waiting, the MZ-RH1 finally fits my needs perfectly.

I'm investing in this, paying for the quality of the equipment and the quality of the sound it produces and can see it being used for another 14 years!! :)

Thank you Sony.

Glad you are enjoying the RH1 - a FINE machine indeed. If you get a chance, do a search in the archives here on the MD forum and you can then understand it a little better. One thing I will say is use the jog lever with care. It is not flimsy but it can get tempremental if pushed harder than necessary.

As you have found, good headphones are a must and only then can your machine breathe as it were and allow you to hear all the subtle sounds.

Now all you need is a classic metal portable (like the R50 you used to use) for times when you don't want to risk damage to your new RH1.

I advise you to forget MP3 even if you can listen to MP3 with RH1. Rather choose SP or, on Hi-MD formatted disc, PCM or 352 / 256 kbps. If you keep SP, have in mind that SonicStage don't offer you the good one but a fake SP with LP2 quality. To be sure, record in real time. And if you do it from your computer (with an optical out), use your player with DFX audio enhancer + Wincue (if you use Winamp) + good audio output drivers like Kernel streaming and Asio4all. With this configuration, even your 320 & 256 kbps MP3s will sound much better. Personnaly I have a desktop with a SB X-Fi Platinuim audio card, meaning the sound is also modified (in better) with X-Fi capatibilities. My classical music, depending for you of your apetence for such sound treaments, is not necessary recorded with computer tricks...

Make a simple test : compare the sound of

(1) your original CD on your CD player

(2) a MD recorded in SP mode directly with RH1

(3) your player with DFX playing your original CD

(4) a MD recorded with (3)

For this test, I used my MD Sony JB980 deck (24bit 192kHz) so I could connect the optical output of my CD player to the S/PDIF MD input and the coaxial audio optical output of my SB X-Fi audio card to my MD coaxial input. As this, both the Cd and the computer use the MD DAC.

Dowloading Flac files in 24bit 96KHz and recording them with this configuration will explode literaly your Etymotic ER-4P earphones with the RH1 yahoo.gif!

As these earphones are very analytics, you will be able to choose the right level for each album for DFX audio enhancer and Xi-Fi.

I advise you to forget MP3 even if you can listen to MP3 with RH1. Rather choose SP or, on Hi-MD formatted disc, PCM or 352 / 256 kbps. If you keep SP, have in mind that SonicStage don't offer you the good one but a fake SP with LP2 quality. To be sure, record in real time. And if you do it from your computer (with an optical out), use your player with DFX audio enhancer + Wincue (if you use Winamp) + good audio output drivers like Kernel streaming and Asio4all. With this configuration, even your 320 & 256 kbps MP3s will sound much better. Personnaly I have a desktop with a SB X-Fi Platinuim audio card, meaning the sound is also modified (in better) with X-Fi capatibilities. My classical music, depending for you of your apetence for such sound treaments, is not necessary recorded with computer tricks...

Make a simple test : compare the sound of

(1) your original CD on your CD player

(2) a MD recorded in SP mode directly with RH1

(3) your player with DFX playing your original CD

(4) a MD recorded with (3)

For this test, I used my MD Sony JB980 deck (24bit 192kHz) so I could connect the optical output of my CD player to the S/PDIF MD input and the coaxial audio optical output of my SB X-Fi audio card to my MD coaxial input. As this, both the Cd and the computer use the MD DAC.

Dowloading Flac files in 24bit 96KHz and recording them with this configuration will explode literaly your Etymotic ER-4P earphones with the RH1 yahoo.gif!

As these earphones are very analytics, you will be able to choose the right level for each album for DFX audio enhancer and Xi-Fi.

I'd say use it to play MP3 files, because you atleast have software that can normalize MP3 files. Not all CDs are recorded at the same volume, so if you do ATRAC recording, you can't normalize the files with any software. MP3gain is easy to use and it's great for normalizing all your MP3 files to the same volume level. If ATRACgain existed, then ATRAC recording would be preferred. Now if you could find an easy to use WAV normalizer, you could copy your CDs in WAV format then normalize with software, then covert to ATRAC. Other than that, you might find yourself changing the volume level on your unit between songs. I use MP3s and MP3gains because its the easiest way to record and normalize audio files.

But the RH1 has the Dynamic Normalizer built in so one shouldn't need this.....

Stephen

It does have dynamic normalizer, but at the expense of sound quality. You can't adjust the equalizers in this mode.

Thanks PhillippeC and soundbox! I will try the tests to get the best results and be careful with the jog wheel!

MP3gain. It's free to download. Google it and you can't go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I still have my old Minidisc MZ-R50. Was an early adopter in 1997 when it was first released and enjoyed many many many years of good use and good quality sound out of it.

I recall when first receiving the MZ-R50, I emailed Sony support when MP3's were quite new, asking them that it would be fantastic if we could use the disc writing capabilities of the MD to write mp3 files to the disc and play the files back. Sony responded that they use superior ATRAC capabilities and have no intention of using mp3's on MDs... At the time, the only way to record to MD was to input through audio-in. It was tedious but, leaving a cd to play for 74mins while the MD recorded was the norm, but heck it was worth it! The alternatives were carrying discmans and tape around everywhere....

Then came ipods... Around 2004, I switched to a 4th Generation Ipod because I could store 20GB of mp3's on there and it was convenient.... so my use of the MD eventually faded... until now.

After learning of Sony's intentions of discontinuing production of MD, I quickly dashed out at lunchtime and managed to find a MZ-RH1 in an electronics store nearby. My first impression was WOW!

I use Etymotic ER-4P's (I like treble!) and the sound coming out of them with the MZ-RH1's is superb! These are the same mp3's I've been listening to on my iphone and it feel's like I've been in a long 7 year slumber! What have I missed out on?!?! Now, after 14 years of waiting, the MZ-RH1 finally fits my needs perfectly.

I'm investing in this, paying for the quality of the equipment and the quality of the sound it produces and can see it being used for another 14 years!! :)

Thank you Sony.

I started out with the MZ-R50 also. built like a tank. It is still working, still records, still plays. But, as for what have you missed, well SONY has made a few changes along the way. things got better but it took the RH1 or M200 to finally come out with all the enhancements. Sony slapped the name "PROFESSIONAL" on the recorder and sent it out to market.

in my opinion the RH1 / M200 are the two very best units SONY ever made, mostly because SONY stopped playing games and did not leave anything out this production. It is the most complete MD recorder/player Sony ever produced and you will really like how it works and sounds.

go to the MD community and read the owners manual for the RH1 . M200, it sure does a lot of great things.

Good luck

Keep Those MiniDiscs Spinning! WHY ELSE ARE YOU HERE?

• 2 weeks later...

I've done it now... to keep the long etymotic cable connected to the MD remote, I purchased a cable tidy to wrap the cords in my pocket... in doing this, I wrapped the etymotic cord too tightly and _now_ I have somehow managed to rip the internal cables. So the end result is I have constant crackling and random no sound in the left ear....

checked with etymotic, and luckily the ER-4P is fixable, so have to send the earphones over to etymotic to see what they can do, at a small cost when it's outside of warranty.

• 1 month later...

Does the RH1 and sonic stage really convert SP recordings to LP2?!

I bought the RH1 a few years ago to transfer all of my recordings to WAV since MD was on the decline. I spent a year transferring albums. That took an enormous time to convert. I sure would be disapointed if the quality suffered.

You all are right about the MZ-R50 and the RH1. Speaking of the MZ-R50. That was the best portable recorder ever. I managed to get one with the firmware that let you turn off SCMS.

Does the RH1 and sonic stage really convert SP recordings to LP2?!

I bought the RH1 a few years ago to transfer all of my recordings to WAV since MD was on the decline. I spent a year transferring albums. That took an enormous time to convert. I sure would be disapointed if the quality suffered.

Sonic Stage do it (transfer PC to Md via NetMD), the RH1 keep the real SP quality during a real time recording. If you transfered your MDs to your PC, only those which have been recorded in real time in SP mode , have been transfered in a WAV "292kbps" qualtiy. Meaning it is OK with your MZ-R50 recordings... With Hi-MD it is another story, transfer MD to PC are in the same quality.

Not quite. The RH1 actually uploads SP which is then converted to either HiSP (256kbps Atrac3+) or PCM (1411 kbps LPCM), your choice. Once ffmpeg and VLC can play SP directly you may see a proliferation of that format on PC - at the moment it essentially doesn't exist, and is not allowed by Sony.