Aiwa mini disc player/AM-F80

Rate this topic

fourbanks

I'm looking to replace my battery in my 18 year old aiwa mini disc player if anyone knows where i can get one i would be most grateful

it's a 3.7 volt sometimes known as a gumstick battery

thanks smile.png

The company was taken over by sony for servicing but that is all the battery is exclusive to this model only which was the top model in it's day

The sound quality easily surpasses anything on the market today hence i would like to keep it if possible

post-126372-0-44357300-1313703675_thumb.

I have a few of these batteries, I am sure. What state they are in I don't know. I remember selling a couple of decent working ones to a guy two years or so back, but whether I have any good batteries left I am unsure. I don't do much with these recorders anyway, most of them come up with the dreaded 'NO ADJ' error I haven't been bothered finding out what causes it. At least not yet. I was toying with the idea of getting rid of all my early Aiwa stock anyway, or I may just keep it in case parts are needed in the future. Perhaps if the service manuals for Aiwas were readily available I would have more time for them, models such as the F65, F75, F80 etc. They are actually very nice machines - they remind me a lot of the Sony R55, which I do like very much.

If you haven't found a suitable battery yet, give me a shout and I will dig out the Aiwa box from storage.

Jim

I have a few of these batteries, I am sure. What state they are in I don't know. I remember selling a couple of decent working ones to a guy two years or so back, but whether I have any good batteries left I am unsure. I don't do much with these recorders anyway, most of them come up with the dreaded 'NO ADJ' error I haven't been bothered finding out what causes it. At least not yet. I was toying with the idea of getting rid of all my early Aiwa stock anyway, or I may just keep it in case parts are needed in the future. Perhaps if the service manuals for Aiwas were readily available I would have more time for them, models such as the F65, F75, F80 etc. They are actually very nice machines - they remind me a lot of the Sony R55, which I do like very much.

If you haven't found a suitable battery yet, give me a shout and I will dig out the Aiwa box from storage.

Jim

many thanks Jim i have sent you a pm :D

I think we need to find out what that NO ADJ error code means first as without getting that fixed in what is a very unused player despite it's age it wont be much point in getting a new battery for it

Good news - I have located my box of Aiwas and run through the machines. Most of them do not work, giving Caution! errors or just plain dead. Luckily one AM-F75 seems to work ok despite having a damaged jog dial. I have also found four Aiwa batteries, and have one on charge now. All I can do is charge each battery up fully, and play back prerecorded discs on shuffle repeat, to see how long the batteries last, A few cycles should give me a good idea of each one's capacity. I will let you know if any have a half-decent charge capacity in a few days time.

Jim

Good news - I have located my box of Aiwas and run through the machines. Most of them do not work, giving Caution! errors or just plain dead. Luckily one AM-F75 seems to work ok despite having a damaged jog dial. I have also found four Aiwa batteries, and have one on charge now. All I can do is charge each battery up fully, and play back prerecorded discs on shuffle repeat, to see how long the batteries last, A few cycles should give me a good idea of each one's capacity. I will let you know if any have a half-decent charge capacity in a few days time.

Jim

many thanks jim for your time on this matter. we still need to track down on what this error code means (no adjust) i have sent a email off to sony and hopefully but i have my doubts that they will be able to enlighten me

Fact is, it's not what you are looking for. The F90 is just a Sony R900 with cosmetic differences. Even the remote control is a Sony RM-MC11EL, with the lettering changed on the front.

Incidentally, I had a revelation a couple of days ago regarding the NO ADJ error. I am wondering whether it is equivalent to Sony's NVERR or Error EE messages. In other words, the non-volatile EEPROM has become corrupted, effectively turning your recorder into a box of parts. The solution is to run the internal adjustment routines, but without a service manual or some hints as to how to enter service mode, there's no way of fixing this. I am very busy at present, but hopefully I will have time to pull out all the Aiwa machines and check this out.

Jim

Unfortunately the free links are just for technical bulletins or the parts lists. I need the full service manual, and I would prefer not to have to pay for something I doubt I will ever need in the workshop. I was hoping to find instructions on entering service mode on-line, but it seems nobody is really interested in the Aiwa MDs. I will continue looking.

Jim

I have just noticed also that my display panel is now just blank the no adjust is no longer there

My reset button at the back of the unit also doesn't feel like that works as their is no indentation on being pressed ?

Have you had the machine apart at all? If you have disconnected the display board, that's exactly what you get.

The reset button doesn't really 'click' like a normal button, but it does push down very slightly, say 0.2mm?

Thanks to Stephen I now have the AM-F80 service manual. I can confirm that NO ADJ is caused by the service adjustments not being completed, and presumably by a corrupt EEPROM too. I notice there is a main EEPROM and a secondary memory with battery backup. I assume that is for user settings such as the last track played, bass boost and so on. I doubt the EEPROM would lose it's programmed state with not being used for several years, but I suppose it is possible.

You will need to run the adjustment routines. To be honest, I doubt you will be able to does this yourself as special tools are needed and a basic grounding on how minidisc recorders work, such as stuff like 'servo engaged', 'OWH loaded', high reflectivity and so on. We could be here until Christmas going through the procedures when I can do it in half an hour.

Do you want to send the unit to me and I can repair, service and realign the unit? For a small fee, of course, as it is my line of business! :thank_you2:

Jim

Have you had the machine apart at all? If you have disconnected the display board, that's exactly what you get.

The reset button doesn't really 'click' like a normal button, but it does push down very slightly, say 0.2mm?

Thanks to Stephen I now have the AM-F80 service manual. I can confirm that NO ADJ is caused by the service adjustments not being completed, and presumably by a corrupt EEPROM too. I notice there is a main EEPROM and a secondary memory with battery backup. I assume that is for user settings such as the last track played, bass boost and so on. I doubt the EEPROM would lose it's programmed state with not being used for several years, but I suppose it is possible.

You will need to run the adjustment routines. To be honest, I doubt you will be able to does this yourself as special tools are needed and a basic grounding on how minidisc recorders work, such as stuff like 'servo engaged', 'OWH loaded', high reflectivity and so on. We could be here until Christmas going through the procedures when I can do it in half an hour.

Do you want to send the unit to me and I can repair, service and realign the unit? For a small fee, of course, as it is my line of business! :thank_you2:

Jim

no i have not touched the unit the reset button did work on pressing it to produce the no adjust error but now the reset indentation dosent work at all

Yes please jim just let me have your address and payment details in a email and will send you a cheque

many thanks once again

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks jim your a star not only have you fixed this error but i do believe your the first person in the world to have done so via a forum and that my friend is one of the highest accolades as a audiophile myself can pay you

Not only that you have also supplied a working battery another first in the world

Many thanks once again and look forward to your input here and elsewhere

warm regards

• 8 months later...

post-129883-0-05522800-1337816567_thumb.

All of you who love AIWA MINIDISC player MODEL AM-F80 AM-F70 etc USES the following battery type: LIB-902

FACT: Battery is EXTINCT. no ones make them anymore.

GREAT NEWS: you dont have to go around hunt for used one that likely passed shelf life which does not hold charge and pay 100+ dollars!!

SOLUTION : AAA Li-Ion ULTRAFIRE 3.6 VOLT. cost about 3 dollars at Ebay.

Does it fit? YES it fits into the battery compartment slides right in.

Its DIAMETER is 1 cm which is exact match for OEM LIB902 and it fits into battery compartment. see picture insert. fits right in.

Its cylinderical compare to OEM lib902 and shorter so you need to make small coil spring and put it inside of battery chamber to fill the gap! thats it .also I used cutout paper to make the floor elevated a bit before insert battery.(see photo it has cardboard cut out on floor of battery compartment) Note that in the photo you see paper wrap outside of spring to prevent coil spring come into direct contact with battery compartment wall. to make a coil buy a good conducting wire like Copper etc and warp around the small diameter pen(which is less then 1cm in thickness) few times and make the coil then at the end make the small tip to contact with plates.

You can use regular 3.6 V Li-ION charger to charge the battery and use it. Works perfect I use it as they work great.. Better and much cheaper then the OEM LIB902 but it has apx same mAH!500 vs 700 mAH JUST BUY few packs say 6 and charge it at once then use it .

GOOD LUCK TO YOU . AIWA AM-F70 is one of the best recorders I know, its only the battery that made this recorder unusable or have to use it with bulky external battery case. Many trade in AIWA for this reason but now you dont need to.

If you dont have optional external AA battery pack. you can use any other types of external rechargeable battery backups (look for PSP yellow tip plugs) it will fit into the AIWA power plug.

Alot of AIWA AC plugs are interchangeable with SONY so look for one if you need it.

post-129883-0-54141200-1337816529_thumb.

post-129883-0-40469200-1337816541_thumb.

post-129883-0-23615600-1337816553_thumb.

post-129883-0-05522800-1337816567_thumb.

post-129883-0-05755300-1337904878_thumb.

• 2 months later...

Hi jim

my aiwa has stopped working again the controls both on the remote and on the unit are not responding correctly and the music on the disc is very fast saying x2 maybe i will need to send it to you again ?

i have tried the reset button on the back but the unit always starts at x2 making all of the control buttons inoperative

sound is very good thou

• 1 month later...