SONY MDS-JE480

Rate this topic

fourbanks

The :big: negative is that the 480 has no optical out. Don't panic, someone's added it and written it up. If you can wait, the 780 might be easier, since it has that feature. They both seem to come on sale (in Ebay etc) in Britain - but I have never seen them here in North America.

Jim Hoggarth says the 980 and 780 are almost identical, electronically.

thanks Philippe

i was asking from a current members point of view not a brochure :)

The :big: negative is that the 480 has no optical out. Don't panic, someone's added it and written it up. If you can wait, the 780 might be easier, since it has that feature. They both seem to come on sale (in Ebay etc) in Britain - but I have never seen them here in North America.

thanks sfbp

i will probably hold off and try to get hold of the 780 or above if I'm lucky

Interesting because phamcu has one to sell for... 133$ :umnik2:, oups a little bit expensive (I bought my JB980 65 euros)

decks with MDLP and optical out:

MDS-JE640

MDS-JE770

MDS-JE780 (has Type-S also, and USB *in*)

MDS-JB930

MDS-JB940

MDS-JB980 (Has Type-S also, and USB *in*)

MDS-JA333ES

MXD-D400 (the only Combo deck with MDLP and optical out, also the only combo with Type-S)

Yes, although I have not actually compared down to the last component. But if you take a 780, put it in a taller casing, screw a metal plate to the top to make it heavier and fit gold plated RCAs, you have a 980. On opening my first 980 I was severely disappointed to not even find a toroidal mains transformer in there!

Jim

PS, for Nick (fourbanks) and a blatant sales plug: if you are interested in one of the above decks, I definitely have an MDS-JE640 tested and ready for sale (once I have replaced the eject drive band I pinched off it last week). Just email me as normal.

Yes, although I have not actually compared down to the last component. But if you take a 780, put it in a taller casing, screw a metal plate to the top to make it heavier and fit gold plated RCAs, you have a 980. On opening my first 980 I was severely disappointed to not even find a toroidal mains transformer in there!

Jim

PS, for Nick (fourbanks) and a blatant sales plug: if you are interested in one of the above decks, I definitely have an MDS-JE640 tested and ready for sale (once I have replaced the eject drive band I pinched off it last week). Just email me as normal.

hi jim

i may well do i have the chance to get hold of a ES model next week as new so will let you know how that goes ok